Contribute
Register

GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 viable for new Hackintosh build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Designare
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all.

I am getting the urge to build a new machine, and am looking at the options for a very high end build, for gaming (Mac and Windoews), video and audio editing (mostly Mac), and photo editing (mostly Mac). I am considering the GA-Z170X-Gaming G1, due to its outstanding feature set, dual PCIE-X16 concurrent slots for SLI, and dual m.2 slots, and USB 3.1/C, in addition to having tall the bells and whistles currently supported by the Intel chipset. It has a weird audio codec, I assume, for Mac, but I would probably just use that for gaming in windows anyways. I use a USB DAC and amp for music audio anyways.

I know people are using this board from searches in the forums, but I wonder whether the install should be straightforward with 10.11.4 now supporting Skylake. Are all the USP ports/headers supported? Are the 2400E ports as good as Intel native networking? Is there a good reason to chose another board over this one? For that matte, should I consider Asus, MSI, or another manufacturer? My current board is Gigabyte Z77X UP5-TH, which is bulletproof and idiot-proof! I hate their BIOS, but like everything else about the board.

I appreciate any information which anyone would take the time to share!

-MIke

I am working on a build using this board right now. I chose it for the feature set as well. I am hoping that it will be forward compatible with Apple's Thunderbolt 3.
So far the installation has been easy. I am installing it on a Samsung 951 AHCI. Right now I'm looking for Multibeast settings for ethernet. The board is a bit interesting to set up because the pcie lanes for the M.2 ports are shared with the SATA ports. So if you populate an M.2 slot you will lose 2 SATA ports. Each of the M.2 slots are on a different SATA controller. I had to be careful to use the M.2 slot with the chipset controller for installation because the installer does not recognize the off chipset SATA controllers. I have Windows 10 in the other M.2 slot on a Samsung 950PRO. I can connect six SATA drives, 4 on the chipset controller and 2 on the off chipset SATA controller if both M.2 slots are populated. I've tried an Intel 750 in a pcie slot and it functions in Windows.
As I said, I am mid-installation now. I can let you know how it works out.:thumbup:

Thank you for your reply.

It is interesting that one of the m.2 interfaces seems tied to the Intel chipset, and one to the other chipset. Or perhaps, it is neither, and just refers to the PCIE lanes that are consumed by the device, diverted from the respective SATA controllers. Other than recognition at initial install, this should not matter much, if both of the interfaces are supported by OS X and Multibeast (now or eventually).

I look forward to your updates.

Well I think since Gigabyte Boards are known to work best I would go with one where you can. And since it is I think the only board that supports dual M.2 out of Gigabytes lineup it might be your only choice. On the Asus side I like the WS series and the deluxe boards a lot, but from experience the gigabyte ones also boot much faster. The thing I love about ASUS is their super easy bios flashback functionality. If you can afford the G1 I would go with it.

I wasn't aware if boot speed differences among UEFI systems. My current legacy-free system with GA-Z77X UP5-TH is very fast to start, even with quick boot turned off. It has been very stable as well. I am inclined to stay with Gigabyte, due to the fact that my last 2 ASUS boards have been a bit flaky.

I did RTFM for the Z170X Gaming G1, and was pleasantly surprised by the relatively good documentation of the UEFI BIOS features/menu items.

I am working on a build using this board right now. I chose it for the feature set as well. I am hoping that it will be forward compatible with Apple's Thunderbolt 3.
So far the installation has been easy. I am installing it on a Samsung 951 AHCI. Right now I'm looking for Multibeast settings for ethernet. The board is a bit interesting to set up because the pcie lanes for the M.2 ports are shared with the SATA ports. So if you populate an M.2 slot you will lose 2 SATA ports. Each of the M.2 slots are on a different SATA controller. I had to be careful to use the M.2 slot with the chipset controller for installation because the installer does not recognize the off chipset SATA controllers. I have Windows 10 in the other M.2 slot on a Samsung 950PRO. I can connect six SATA drives, 4 on the chipset controller and 2 on the off chipset SATA controller if both M.2 slots are populated. I've tried an Intel 750 in a pcie slot and it functions in Windows.
As I said, I am mid-installation now. I can let you know how it works out.:thumbup:

Hey paulsmd, how have things been going? I'm actually super interested in this exact build, specific concerns I have:

Audio (I understand, this won't work OOB, but alternative drivers may work)
M.2 Slot (Did this go well, any specific slot to use?)
Ethernet (You mentioned this wasnt working?)
Wireless and Bluetooth

Hi all.

I am getting the urge to build a new machine, and am looking at the options for a very high end build, for gaming (Mac and Windoews), video and audio editing (mostly Mac), and photo editing (mostly Mac). I am considering the GA-Z170X-Gaming G1, due to its outstanding feature set, dual PCIE-X16 concurrent slots for SLI, and dual m.2 slots, and USB 3.1/C, in addition to having tall the bells and whistles currently supported by the Intel chipset. It has a weird audio codec, I assume, for Mac, but I would probably just use that for gaming in windows anyways. I use a USB DAC and amp for music audio anyways.

I know people are using this board from searches in the forums, but I wonder whether the install should be straightforward with 10.11.4 now supporting Skylake. Are all the USP ports/headers supported? Are the 2400E ports as good as Intel native networking? Is there a good reason to chose another board over this one? For that matte, should I consider Asus, MSI, or another manufacturer? My current board is Gigabyte Z77X UP5-TH, which is bulletproof and idiot-proof! I hate their BIOS, but like everything else about the board.

I appreciate any information which anyone would take the time to share!

-MIke

Mike, any reason why you don't want to go with the Gigabyte Z170X - SOC Force MB?

Mike, any reason why you don't want to go with the Gigabyte Z170X - SOC Force MB?

Thunderbolt 3. Audio better for windows gaming. Don't really need all of the complicated overclocking stuff. I prefer red to orange. 3 m.2 slots look good, but there are more SATA available on the Gaming G1. I don't need a Realtek 1150 as I use a Hiface 2 and external DAC for Audio on the mac side. On Windows, this will handle music playing, while the onboard soundblaster part will be good for gaming. Whether it is possible to use it on the Mac side, I don't know.

Any downsides you see to the Gaming G1, benbun?

Thunderbolt 3. Audio better for windows gaming. Don't really need all of the complicated overclocking stuff. I prefer red to orange. 3 m.2 slots look good, but there are more SATA available on the Gaming G1. I don't need a Realtek 1150 as I use a Hiface 2 and external DAC for Audio on the mac side. On Windows, this will handle music playing, while the onboard soundblaster part will be good for gaming. Whether it is possible to use it on the Mac side, I don't know.

Any downsides you see to the Gaming G1, benbun?
No downsides myself. From what I've read online, the G1 is great and I have no complaints, just not enough published for what we are trying to do. At this point, it comes down to the audio drivers and if the Thunderbolt 3 will work natively (I'm assuming it does). Audio, you'll have to use the Voodoo driver method. I've read bluetooth and wireless won't work if it's Intel based, you'll need to get the Broadcom m.2 module. Assuming you want to use Apple continuity etc for your Hackintosh.

Hey mivanitsky....
How is your build going? Keen to know....!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back