Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Performa
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
So I have an i7-6700K burning a hole in my pocket (metaphorically), it's sitting in it's still unopened box. Now I just need a mini-ITX motherboard to pair with it.

I'm currently leaning toward either a GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 or GA-Z170N-WiFi. The GA-Z170N-WiFi seems to be the better of the two spec-wise. The only thing the Gaming 5 has over the GA-Z170N-WiFi, as far as I can tell, is USB 3.1 support.

Any thoughts on these boards? I'll be using Ethernet so the built-in wifi compatibility isn't an issue. Is the Killer E2201 chipset supported on hacks or am I better off with the Intel GbE lan chipset?

I am using Gigabyte z170n Wifi Gaming 5 and got everything working very good. I will likely be getting a Dedicated Graphics card soon (GTX 960) since Dual Monitor support on HD530 doesn't work.

Although I didn't really use the guide located here http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/f...byte-z170n-wifi-gaming-5-itx-i7-6700k.192711/ I have posted what I did to get my Audio working. Everything else worked out of the box. I don't use the Wifi/Bluetooth card.

Do you have full USB 3.0/3.1 support working? I know El Cap has been a bit wonky with USB 3 functionality.
USB 3 works no problem. I don't have any USB 3.1 or USB C devices so can't comment on that.

I am using Gigabyte z170n Wifi Gaming 5 and got everything working very good. I will likely be getting a Dedicated Graphics card soon (GTX 960) since Dual Monitor support on HD530 doesn't work.

Although I didn't really use the guide located here http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/f...byte-z170n-wifi-gaming-5-itx-i7-6700k.192711/ I have posted what I did to get my Audio working. Everything else worked out of the box. I don't use the Wifi/Bluetooth card.

Hello,
Did you get shutdown and sleep/wake to work? Can I ask which hard drive you are using for your Boot Drive?

So I have an i7-6700K burning a hole in my pocket (metaphorically), it's sitting in it's still unopened box. Now I just need a mini-ITX motherboard to pair with it.

I'm currently leaning toward either a GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 or GA-Z170N-WiFi. The GA-Z170N-WiFi seems to be the better of the two spec-wise. The only thing the Gaming 5 has over the GA-Z170N-WiFi, as far as I can tell, is USB 3.1 support.

Any thoughts on these boards? I'll be using Ethernet so the built-in wifi compatibility isn't an issue. Is the Killer E2201 chipset supported on hacks or am I better off with the Intel GbE lan chipset?

Hello,
I actually have both these MBs and decided to use the Gaming 5 to start my build. I have almost everything working except shutdown and sleep/wake. I believe the issue is with my boot drive( it's a m.2 NMVe). I got it to work with a SATA SSD. I can tell you that Ethernet work OOB. So I have Internet after installing El Capitan. My USB 3.1 port does not work at all. It will not detect any USB.

No Since I am using HD530 currently Sleep doesn't work. However, I never use sleep on a desktop and since the SSD is so fast booting is only like 10 seconds.

No Since I am using HD530 currently Sleep doesn't work. However, I never use sleep on a desktop and since the SSD is so fast booting is only like 10 seconds.

Thanks. You do have a very good point on that. If booting is very quick what is the point of sleep? How about Shutdown? Any problems?

no issues at all for shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back