Contribute
Register

Ga-x58a-ud3r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for a a detailed information about possible upgrade to Xeon 5650 form i7-970, really appreciedet and now I know I do not need to upgrade.
And since I am original owner of the i7-970, no need to worry about possible problems with used Cpu.
I don't have experience with overlocking i7-970, didn't need it for now, but would try now for maximum performance.
What GHz can I expect and what would be the optimal settings for overclocking?
BIOS pictures with proper settings would be most welcome.
I have 1600MHz C9 Memory, 12GB Kit.

tnx

Please read the thread... there's been a lot of discussion about all this already. Sorry, can't repeat it all.

Little off topic but relevant to this board... What SATA do you use for your primary HD and why?

I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD on the Marvell SE9128 and Im getting 380 read / 240 write scores on Blackmagic disk speed test.
However, I know this drive is supposed to hit 540r / 450w speeds... is this a limit of the "6gb" Marvell?

System preferences is listing Marvell's link speed as 6 Gigabit / 6 negotiated link speeds... Twice the Intel's 3 Gigabit speeds, but Im not observing any improvements when switching one for the other.

Any way to squeeze more speed out of our SSDs?

Right now Im not seeing any practical difference in using the Marvell over the JMicron or the Intel ports... Im even thinking of switching all my drives to Intel and disabling the others just so the system posts faster.

Any tips?

I have the same question about my 840 EVO (not pro). I'm only getting about 380 reads and from 280–300 writes. I've made a fusion drive out of mine with a 4TB seagate. Somewhere in the literature, Samsung says it uses a 400MBps NAND Flash for this SSD. I'm guessing it doesn't actually do the 500–540 MB speed, but somehow they market it that way. I'm using the SSD on a PEX50055 PCIE 4x controller by Syba (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHYOQIE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I uses ASMedia1061 chip.

Little off topic but relevant to this board... What SATA do you use for your primary HD and why?

I have a Samsung 840 Pro SSD on the Marvell SE9128 and Im getting 380 read / 240 write scores on Blackmagic disk speed test.
However, I know this drive is supposed to hit 540r / 450w speeds... is this a limit of the "6gb" Marvell?

System preferences is listing Marvell's link speed as 6 Gigabit / 6 negotiated link speeds... Twice the Intel's 3 Gigabit speeds, but Im not observing any improvements when switching one for the other.

Any way to squeeze more speed out of our SSDs?

Right now Im not seeing any practical difference in using the Marvell over the JMicron or the Intel ports... Im even thinking of switching all my drives to Intel and disabling the others just so the system posts faster.

Any tips?

Word has it that the marvell sata controllers are ****e. I just got a 2 port sata card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124045

Can't get yosemite working so can't report speeds here, but I have my Win7 drive and my mac drive plugged into this and all my other drives plugged into the intel ports.

OK, I did the Samsung Performance Restoration Tool on my drive (had to split the Fusion drive), and it got my writes up closer to my reads around 350MB instead of 280MB. But neither of them go past 400MB. I’m not sure why I can’t get those 500MB speeds they advertise. I’ve tried in in Yosemite and in Windows 8.

OK, problem solved! It's not the SSD. Its the SATA III card I'm using. I noticed that the link speed of the card in System Profiler is actually X1, not X2 as Syba advertises. I got a new card from micro center, and my speeds are now in the 500MB range. Card was only $40 and it has 4 SATA III ports instead of the two I had on the Syba card. It uses Marvel 9230 chipset too. Works great now.

Was anyone able to log in into App Store successfully? I installed 10.10 on a H77N-Wifi system and on a H55M-UD2H system, and on both I was able to retrieve my purchased apps through App Store. On my X58A system, I can't sign in successfully in App Store.

Last edited:
Finally got it up and working. I had to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext when using a DSDT. That fixed the kernel panics and random freezes I was having. I also stopped using PCIRootUID=1. Now it's time to check my disk speeds, my SSDs are looking a bit low since it's showing 6/Gbs in sys profiler. Maybe because I have 2 disks sharing the sata card? I bought a new card so I'll try putting them both in.

I have the same motherboard, but set GraphicsEnabler=No like I have since always and IGPEnabler=Yes, and can boot fine. (Like an idiot I was using the Mavericks version of multibeast earlier instead of the Yosemite version and getting the mach_kernel error).

CPU 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R-2.0 socket 1366
Bios DSDT-GA-X58A-UD3R-2.0-FH.aml

My org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
        <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
        <string>01000000</string>
        <key>GenerateCStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GeneratePStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>UseKernelCache</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>HDAEnabler</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I've attached a copy of my Multibeast settings.

However, Multibeast now creates an org.chameleon.boot.plist optimized for new boards that have intel HD.

Make sure you set IGPEnabler=No and GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

If you have an existing Mavericks or even Snow Mountain running build you can even copy your DSDT.aml and org.chameleon.boot.plist to the /Extra folder of your unibeast installer. My install was a breeze!

Hi,

I just installed a new Geforce G1 Gaming 970 and did a fresh / clean Yosemite install.

I have two problems:
1) No sound whatsoever
2) the video card is not recognised

Here is the the MB config and the org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Any help appreciated,

Edit:
SOUND:funny thing is it recognises when I change the audio jack between the front and the back of the card. Should I try the tolled solution or realtek ALC http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143757-audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html ??

Video:
I've also tried changing smbios from 5,1 to 3,1 but no changes.
I also deinstalled alternative drivers and reinstalling them with no changes...

And weird thing, I did a first configuration yesterday and stupidly breaking it (no sound after sleep) with a sudo command.
After that I reinstalled clean and now not recognising. I didn't save my config :( And I feel a bit alone :)
But weird is that the DVI port changed compared to yesterday's build...

Also: yesterday's installation was: 10.10.0 + Standalone update + Nvidia driver + adding "nv_drv=1"
Today's installation: 10.10.1 + Nvidia driver | restart without changing o.c.b.p. and booting with the driver disabled and changing o.c.b.p. ... I wonder if this changes something?

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    821 bytes · Views: 259
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 07.39.20.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 07.39.20.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back