Contribute
Register

Ga-x58a-ud3r

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using all 10 SATA ports on that MB. The grey ones, non Intel (Marvell chip) I configured in BIOS as RAID and connected 2x 1TB hard drives and have installed OSX there. Working flawlessly from 10.7 to 10.10. And this is a hardware RAID 0, striped configuration, not software apple Raid. Kext for this Marvel RAID configuration is in OSX natively.

Thanks Guys!

GB: Can you confirm that the universal USB3 kext in Multibeast is actually running drives at full USB3 speeds? I've used that kext in the past in Mavericks... and it never actually works. USB 3 shows up in System Profiler, but a couple seconds after I hook up a USB 3 drive and start a file transfer... the transfer drops down to more like USB 1 speeds, or crashes altogether! The same drive works on the USB 2 ports at USB 2 speeds.

Contax: Interesting. I'm quite happy with the OS X software striped RAID... it's actually very, very efficient, approaching 200% single-drive speeds (~260 read/~260 write) when I test with Black Magic. Two Samsung spinpoint f3 1TB drives only used for video editing (no system install, but still set up as journaled). But this definitely makes me think the multibeast kexts will run the extra 4 sata ports at reasonable speeds for vanilla drive setups should I need/want them. The issue is going to be cable management and providing power given my setup: Antec 300 (mediocre cable management) and TX650 PSU (non-modular).

My attempt to have a working 10.10 setup on this board so far:
- Onboard sound works (using the back green plug).
- Onboard ethernet works.
- USB 3 ports don't work.
- Edit: wake from sleep now works, using keyboard, or using power button (+ keystroke). Using RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90 driver appear to fix the wake issue.
- Can't log in to iCloud or App Store. App Store error message: "Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance."

My BIOS version is FH. I'm using the FH DSDT from the database here.

Multi-Beast config:
Quick Start > UserDSDT - /Users/maxime/Downloads/DSDT-GA-X58A-UD3R-2.0- FH.aml
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC889
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal
Drivers > Network > Realtek > RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90
Drivers > System > AppleACPIPlatform Rollback > 10.9.5 AppleACPIPlatform Rollback
Drivers > System > Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement > OS X 10.9.0 Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.1
Customize > Boot Options > 1080p Display Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU States
Customize > Boot Options > GraphicsEnabler=Yes
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > IGPEnabler=No
Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
Customize > Boot Options > PCI Root ID Fix
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1
Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 Black

I can live without USB 3, but not being able to log in to the App Store is a big issue for me.

Edit: when I was using this ethernet driver, I could not wake the computer up from sleep:
Drivers > Network > Realtek > AppleRTL8169Ethernet 2.0.6

I picked up one of those Xeon x5650 6 core chips from Ebay mentioned earlier in the thread. I've been playing with an overclock, but without voltage changes. I currently have my best result which is 211 Bass clock with a 19x multiplier for 4.01 GHZ. I'm satisfied with that and consider the Xeon CPU a good purchase. I have a related question I wish to pose to you folks regarding the system definition. My current system definition is a Mac Pro 3,1. I'm wondering if the new CPU makes it a better choice to go with the Mac Pro 5,1. I have NOT discovered any real definitive posts on this topic, just a kind of general notion that one should try and best match components they have to the closest system definition match. One concern I have regarding 'playing with that definition' is that I finally got imessage and facetime working perfectly. I followed the detailed instructions in the "How to Fix iMessgae" guide and it ultimately required a phone call to Apple as per the instructions to get it resolved. Might a change to Mac Pro 5,1 send a "red flag" to Apple and once again lock me from imessage and Factime? Your thoughts on this are critical :)

It's worth using some kind of monitoring to check what voltages are being applied even though you have done your overclock "without voltage changes." The reason is that many voltage settings in BIOS are set to "Auto" by default, so it is in fact possible to be driving much higher voltages through the system than the chip itself is configured to take at stock. This goes doubly so for Xeon chips that may not be officially supported by the motherboard and BIOS, even if they work without a hitch. I think it's a good idea to at least set the core, DIMM, and qpu/vtt core voltages manually to make sure they're within spec.

USB 3 again: Does anyone with this board have working-- tested via either Black Magic or a large file transfer (10GB) to confirm speeds-- USB 3 using the onboard ports? If so, did you use the version of the USB 3 kext from Multibeast, or some other version (which)?

It's worth using some kind of monitoring to check what voltages are being applied even though you have done your overclock "without voltage changes." The reason is that many voltage settings in BIOS are set to "Auto" by default, so it is in fact possible to be driving much higher voltages through the system than the chip itself is configured to take at stock. This goes doubly so for Xeon chips that may not be officially supported by the motherboard and BIOS, even if they work without a hitch. I think it's a good idea to at least set the core, DIMM, and qpu/vtt core voltages manually to make sure they're within spec.

USB 3 again: Does anyone with this board have working-- tested via either Black Magic or a large file transfer (10GB) to confirm speeds-- USB 3 using the onboard ports? If so, did you use the version of the USB 3 kext from Multibeast, or some other version (which)?
Thanks Justr. I need some guidance in how to do this. I read your info earlier in this thread but since my MB is slightly different (EX58 UD3R 1.6 FK) I'm not certain how to obtain the values required to "be with in spec". Also you said, "it's a good idea to at least set the core, DIMM, and qpu/vtt core voltages manually". Those are three settings I've never really changed. What exactly is DIMM? Are you referring to the memory settings. Is there a good monitoring tool for OSX? I don't have any Windows OS installed. I really appreciate any guidance you can provide as I am a novice with respect to overclocking. I've only ever changed bass clock and multiplier. I don't want to destroy something with incorrect or incomplete settings. Thanks!

Thanks Justr. I need some guidance in how to do this. I read your info earlier in this thread but since my MB is slightly different (EX58 UD3R 1.6 FK) I'm not certain how to obtain the values required to "be with in spec". Also you said, "it's a good idea to at least set the core, DIMM, and qpu/vtt core voltages manually". Those are three settings I've never really changed. What exactly is DIMM? Are you referring to the memory settings. Is there a good monitoring tool for OSX? I don't have any Windows OS installed. I really appreciate any guidance you can provide as I am a novice with respect to overclocking. I've only ever changed bass clock and multiplier. I don't want to destroy something with incorrect or incomplete settings. Thanks!

Everything you need to know is here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2335636
Intel specs (what they publish) here: http://ark.intel.com/products/47922/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5650-12M-Cache-2_66-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

Seriously, it's worth reading through it, even if you spread that out over a few days/weeks.

I'm a firm believer that you really shouldn't overclock if you don't understand what you're doing. Chances are that doing nothing more than changing the bclk and CPU multis won't kill a system... but it could. More likely it might degrade the system over time. By default many voltages are set to auto, meaning the Mobo will automatically boost various voltages, within what it thinks is reason (remember, what if the Mobo doesn't officially support the CPU? What if there's a bug in that version of the bios?), to keep the system from crashing. And changing the BCLK changes all sorts of things in the system as many of the subsystems (cpu, RAM, uncore, QPI) are run as multipliers of the BCLK. So even if you only change that one value... you'll change a bunch of other values indirectly, and then the Mobo will start boosting voltages to try to keep those things from crashing. The mobo might also give these components more voltage than needed for stability... causing your system to run far hotter than necessary (including onboard chips that may not have active cooling and whose temperatures aren't super easily monitored). After all, running a BCLK of 211 is actually quite high... if that's all you changed your uncore and RAM might be running at really high speeds as well (I am not familiar with your board or bios, so I can't say).

Every chip series has it's own unique qualities, and every chip (even the exact same models) have different luck when it comes to voltages, heat, and stability. These 95W Xeon 5600-series are only in spec if they get less than 1.35v on the CPU. Some people report that they one should also keep the QPI/VTT Core at or below 1.35v as well, and that the RAM voltages (DIMM) need to be within .5v of the QPI/VTT Core voltages, specially if you're boosting the RAM voltages above their on rated voltage values. Apparently 5600 Xeons run the uncore, by default, at 1.5x the RAM speeds to protect the CPU's memory controller (IMC), but most people are fine running up to 2x (on the I7-9xx chips the recommended value was 2x +1).

These are the sorts of random bits of info that are wise to know, and make sure you system stays within, in order to safely overclock. Yes, you can get away with a lot-- these chips and mobos are actually very, very hardy (see people who have run 1.40v through cpu, and 1.375v through QPI/VTT core, and 1.8v through DIMMs)-- but I, personally, don't want to take the risk that I'm unknowingly doing something that might shorten the life of my system, whether it is by running borderline dangerous voltages, or running a system hotter than needed.

I think the monitoring tools are better for Windows. But you can boot into the BIOS and usually get a reported voltage while in the Bios, and you can use iState Menus or HWMonitor to see voltages as reported in OS X. You can test memory using Prime95 (there's a Mac version) or Memtest+ (bootable usb/CD).

Everything you need to know is here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2335636
Intel specs (what they publish) here: http://ark.intel.com/products/47922/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5650-12M-Cache-2_66-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

Seriously, it's worth reading through it, even if you spread that out over a few days/weeks.

I'm a firm believer that you really shouldn't overclock if you don't understand what you're doing. Chances are that doing nothing more than changing the bclk and CPU multis won't kill a system... but it could. More likely it might degrade the system over time. By default many voltages are set to auto, meaning the Mobo will automatically boost various voltages, within what it thinks is reason (remember, what if the Mobo doesn't officially support the CPU? What if there's a bug in that version of the bios?), to keep the system from crashing. And changing the BCLK changes all sorts of things in the system as many of the subsystems (cpu, RAM, uncore, QPI) are run as multipliers of the BCLK. So even if you only change that one value... you'll change a bunch of other values indirectly, and then the Mobo will start boosting voltages to try to keep those things from crashing. The mobo might also give these components more voltage than needed for stability... causing your system to run far hotter than necessary (including onboard chips that may not have active cooling and whose temperatures aren't super easily monitored). After all, running a BCLK of 211 is actually quite high... if that's all you changed your uncore and RAM might be running at really high speeds as well (I am not familiar with your board or bios, so I can't say).

Every chip series has it's own unique qualities, and every chip (even the exact same models) have different luck when it comes to voltages, heat, and stability. These 95W Xeon 5600-series are only in spec if they get less than 1.35v on the CPU. Some people report that they one should also keep the QPI/VTT Core at or below 1.35v as well, and that the RAM voltages (DIMM) need to be within .5v of the QPI/VTT Core voltages, specially if you're boosting the RAM voltages above their on rated voltage values. Apparently 5600 Xeons run the uncore, by default, at 1.5x the RAM speeds to protect the CPU's memory controller (IMC), but most people are fine running up to 2x (on the I7-9xx chips the recommended value was 2x +1).

These are the sorts of random bits of info that are wise to know, and make sure you system stays within, in order to safely overclock. Yes, you can get away with a lot-- these chips and mobos are actually very, very hardy (see people who have run 1.40v through cpu, and 1.375v through QPI/VTT core, and 1.8v through DIMMs)-- but I, personally, don't want to take the risk that I'm unknowingly doing something that might shorten the life of my system, whether it is by running borderline dangerous voltages, or running a system hotter than needed.

I think the monitoring tools are better for Windows. But you can boot into the BIOS and usually get a reported voltage while in the Bios, and you can use iState Menus or HWMonitor to see voltages as reported in OS X. You can test memory using Prime95 (there's a Mac version) or Memtest+ (bootable usb/CD).
Great information justr! I really appreciate it. I will read the information on the forum you directed me too. I have already done some basic testing using Prime95 and HWMonitor. At the 211 bassclock and 19x multiplier running Prime95 "Torture Test" with the second test option selected I get some confusing results. HWMonitor shows the CPU core voltage as 1.36V (no test running and idle). Temps are all 6 cores around 45 degrees C. As soon as I start the test the CPU core voltage drops down to 1.344. It does not go above that until I stop the test and return to idle. The temps during the test eventually rise to about 70-72 Degrees C. I see that the Xeon x5650 specs you pointed me to (thanks again) show 1.35V as the top end of the "VID voltage range". Is that a hard limit? In other words if I'm showing the results I mentioned above are there any alarm bells going off?

I take to heart your cautionary tone with regard to overclocking when you don't know what you're doing. In principal I agree. But, you have to start somewhere and I guess that's where I am, with your help, trying to get better informed. The anandtech forum you linked me to seems to have a great deal of info, but in my initial perusing, I can find not step by step approach or methodical guide to this process. Maybe I have just not done enough reading yet. I really appreciate your input justr.

*Note- It makes no difference if I have BClock at 200 or 211 (at 19x multi) the HWMonitor shows idle CPU core Voltage as 1.36Volts. When Prime95 begins the voltage drops for both but it drops more for the lower 200 BClock to 1.325Volts.

Thank you. Followed your OC settings, very stable, doubled my Geekbench from when I had an i7 930! Got my X5650 for $60 on Ebay (my first Ebay order).

Attachments

• GBench.jpg
    GBench.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 165
Thank you. Followed your OC settings, very stable, doubled my Geekbench from when I had an i7 930! Got my X5650 for $60 on Ebay (my first Ebay order).

Awesome! The X58/LGA 1366 upgrade to these Xeons is the deal of the decade I think. CPUs that were originally $1,000, for $60-- that run cool, OC crazy, and produce multi-core results on par with the current generation chips if you're willing to OC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back