RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Gordo, Tony, and All -

Not sure this post is better placed elsewhere, but have posted here since most of the P67A-UD3-B3 posts are here. If you'd rather move it, please do so. Here's the mystery.

Machine is GA-P67A-UD3-B3 F4 rev 1.1, 8 GB ram, and ATI 5770 display card.

Win 7 x86 installed on it's own drive worked perfectly when the bios was set to IDE. Changed the bios as expected to ahci, etc. OS X with Chimera 1.4.1, and the correct DSDT.aml for rev 1.1 on a separate drive works perfectly too. (The installation on the OS X drive isn't really relevant, but read on).

As expected, F12 at boot to select the Win 7 hd hangs during boot.

Changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SYSTEM / CurrentControlset / Services msahci start value from "3" to "0".

Reboot as before and Win 7 boot is successful.

Windows automatically modifies drivers to ahci with messages as shown below
ATA Channel 0
WDC WD5000AAKS-OOUU 3AO ATA Device Finish, restart (this is the Win 7 hd)
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller Finish, restart
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 3
ATA Channel 4 Finish, restart required
ATA Channel 5
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device
ATA Channel 2
(The WD hd and optical drive labels are specific to my machine, and aren't particularly relevant)

When I reboot Win 7, the computer hangs, sometimes with the windows start-up audio continuing to play. I have an identical computer with the rev 1.0 MB, and it dual boots perfectly. Since this happens with the F12 key, it isn't a problem with Chimera, but something unique in the rev 1.1 bios that goes berserk when booting Win 7 with ahci enabled. If I go back to IDE, Win 7 boots ok.

Since you guys dissected the bios, are there any changes other than those for the 889 / 892 audio chip? If not, why does it boot ok with IDE but not ahci?

Thoughts?

You don`t need to reinstall Windows 7
Just boot to Windows 7 without AHCI in bios.
Unzip and double click on attached file.
Now reboot and enter bios and set it to AHCI.
Voila.
Now you can boot Windows 7

Attachments

• ahci.reg.zip
    932 bytes · Views: 58
Gordo74 said:
There are no more changes. Honestly, without ACHI you arent getting full speeds anyway. I'd reinstall windows with ACHI enabled.
Tried installing win 7 (x86 and x64) with ahci set in bios and the installation hung up. After making the one reg change, and enabling ahci in bios it booted once ok, after which it would appear that win 7 "identified" it was using ahci and it self-installed the other drivers. At that point reboots hang. I don't get this with rev 1.0 mb, just the 1.1 Maybe gigabyte needs to address this in their drivers, but of course, reaching out to anyone at gigabyte is probably impossible.

Is your Windows 7 HD the #1 in Harddisk Boot Priority ?
It`s a must both when installing Windows and when making that reg change.
After that you can change the #1 in Harddisk Boot Priority to your OS X HD
and use Chimera loader and boot to Windows instead of using the F12 option.

Gordo74 said:
I'd say this is probably a hardware issue as my Rev 1.1 does not have this problem (I now have a 1.1 and 1.0 I do tests on)
When I did the Win7 install, it was the only drive connected, and no other peripherals other than the usb keyboard and mouse. Will just have to try a re-install (yet again). When you installed (I'm assuming Win7) on the rev 1.1,
a) did you load the Intel SATA RAID Preinstall drivers (For AHCI / RAID Mode) from gigabyte site,
b) install with ahci in bios or switch after the install was completed?

Gordo74 said:
a) No
b) BEFORE or you WILL have problems like you are having.
Gottcha. Will try again in a few weeks when I have access to that computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back