Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
So I am a n00b. Wanted to learn OSX and had a board that seems to work well fall into my lap, p55m-ud4. Got a i5-750 and gts250 card for it, and followed iboot + retail + mulitbeast and got up and running for almost 2 months. I've really enjoyed it.

Computer has been powered down for a week, went to power it up to work on some video stuff today and no joy. Computer wont boot, gets to grey apple screen with grey spinner and grey progress bar, then shuts down.

Thinking maybe I just redo the install disk, i tried to boot with iboot and the retail dvd to get to install, no dice there error again!

Not sure where to go from here. Since everything was working great I'm a little stumped. Am i dealing with a rogue update (even though i had auto update off) or a harware failure of some sort?

I'm attaching the error message i get when trying to boot the retail dvd from iboot as well as a link to youtube of my boot verbose of the current install that shows it running through errors and then just shutting down.

Boot install verbose - crashes/reboots video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E01rkcYq9xM

the video can be cranked up to 720p to see the commands scroll by

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 217
Firstly I'd Like to say That really sucks. I have a similar system, I little higher end though.
Okay If What I'm reading is correct your running with 4 GB of ram? If so, try removing ONE Slot, So it is 2 GB, And Try Booting Up. It seems like your boot plist is reading something wrong, It saw some thousand threads, when it should be seeing four. Are you sure in those two months, there were NO HARDWARE CHANGES? or Some playing with the boot.plist file? I mean thats a start, ahh, Is mac THE ONLY OS you have on your Computer? Or is DUAL booted?

Thanks,
Hope I Can Help.

Mr Warhawk.

Sounds to me like your bios got reset. After it being off for a week. Check your bios settings (AHCI particularly) and all that. If you've done nothing else then I suggest you start there.

OK so some new information to provide, although I'm far from up and running again.

Tripple checked my bios, it was not reset.

Looks like the root of my problem is my osx install partition, 500gb of a 1tb western digital black, went haywire. Verify and repair couldn't even fix / mount it. I did manage to do a .dmg image of it to an external drive without mounting, but who knows how good that will be.. hopefully i can get some of my files off it.

The boot from cd issue was with my retail cd. Looks like a wierd smudge scratch patch on it, nothing i've seen before, but oh well. Tried to buff it out, no luck. Just went to best buy and got another 30 dollar retail disk.

That disk boots. So i'm off to do a fresh install. The 1tb drive checks out with spinrite and two other linux checkers, so i'm just going to reformat it and try again.

I updated my bios to f9 ( was on f8)

I decided to use the dsdt file for the first time on multibeast so i downloaded that.

Installed, did .4 combo update, did dsdt with my aml file on the desktop. Multibeset install fails. Tried to run it multiple times. Failed failed failed. With .4 updated i couldnt boot back successfully.

So i'm wiping and starting over right now. Not sure what the issue with multibeast is, i've never had it fail before. Maybe cause i've never done dsdt before? I'm going to try it one more time with dsdt, and if that doesn't work, one more time with multibeast options selected.

If that doesnt work, I may just chuck it out the window.

Unfortunetly it did not.

I went through about 4 different installs, with different results each time. None ever were stable after 10.6.4 install and multibeast.

Weird results too, 2 of the 4 times the first SL install said successful, 2 times i got the failed.

I got so frustrated that i gave up and installed windows 7, and have been stress testing the cpu, hd, and ram all week. Everything seems ok. I was thinking with all the strange behavior and crashes that perhaps a had bad hardware somewhere, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

Hopefully i'll get over the frustration and try again some this weekend. Or maybe i'll just run winblows. I'm having a hard time understanding why everything worked so well the first install my first try after researching and getting compatible hardware, to crashing and burning so hard that with 4 plus install attempts, i cant get it to run.

If anyone has my hardware and is willing to give me some personal help/coaching let me know. I apparently could really use it.

Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck, that is actually quite common in the hackintosh world. A lot of :banghead: before you can get to :D .

Try updating to F10 then do the install. Use http://www.tonymacx86.com/Public/DSDT-GA-P55M-UD4-F10.aml with Multibeast UserDSDT setting only. You can worry about the kexts later. If you have trouble booting after that, it could be a video card issue which I can't help you with (nvidia). Good luck...and don't give up! ;)

Also Try, Using DIFFERENT Verisions Of iBoot. It MIGHT Help. Because I know I had troubles Installing OSX, with different verisions of iBoot, And try AN OLDER VERISION of MultiBeast.

thanks for the advise guys. I'm going to give it another try this weekend. I really liked OSX the month or so i used it. Just dont know what borked my os drive. This time if i get it up and running, i'm going to image the drive, so all i have to do is a restore instead of reinstall config!

I have two recommendations.

1.) Try the MKPG metheod if you continue to have trouble with the CD method. There is a video on this method on the Tonymacx86 blog.

2.) I have started making a habit of installing the OS twice to the same drive, separate partitions. One partition is main and the second is just a 30G backup OS partition. This way if your system stops booting for any reason you can just use chameleon to select your backup OS partition, boot from it, and from there you can test and modify, and fix your main partition. Does that make sense?

Hope that helps

rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back