i3
Graphics
Motherboard graphics
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is one I haven't been able to solve. We are a video production company with many Hackintosh machines. One is an older GA-P55M-UD4 Motherboard machine running Snow Leopard that I wanted to upgrade the graphics card so that I can get the Mercury Engine playback acceleration with Adobe products that require at least 96 Cuda cores. The issue is that I need all the PCI-e slots and need a very thin card it had a GT 210 which of course wasn't adequate for this. I put in a newer EVGA GT 620 card and used one of the newer Nvidia drivers to make it work. At first it didn't boot but after three tries it did. This worked fine but I didn't do my research and the card didn't have enough Cuda cores. The next card in the series that did was the GT 640. I went out and bought a Zotac GT 640 and modified it's heat sink to take up only one slot of space.

The system tries to start but hangs on the Apple logo. Now I know I can upgrade to Mountain Lion but really don't want to complicate a workstation that is loaded with apps. The machine worked with the fermi driver I installed and the GT 620 card so I suspect there is a way to get it to work with the GT 640. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Attachments

• 660.jpg
    660.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 1,150
Here is one I haven't been able to solve. We are a video production company with many Hackintosh machines. One is an older GA-P55M-UD4 Motherboard machine running Snow Leopard that I wanted to upgrade the graphics card so that I can get the Mercury Engine playback acceleration with Adobe products that require at least 96 Cuda cores. The issue is that I need all the PCI-e slots and need a very thin card it had a GT 210 which of course wasn't adequate for this. I put in a newer EVGA GT 620 card and used one of the newer Nvidia drivers to make it work. At first it didn't boot but after three tries it did. This worked fine but I didn't do my research and the card didn't have enough Cuda cores. The next card in the series that did was the GT 640. I went out and bought a Zotac GT 640 and modified it's heat sink to take up only one slot of space.

The system tries to start but hangs on the Apple logo. Now I know I can upgrade to Mountain Lion but really don't want to complicate a workstation that is loaded with apps. The machine worked with the fermi driver I installed and the GT 620 card so I suspect there is a way to get it to work with the GT 640. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I believe I found why I can't get this to work with Snow Leopard. It is Keppler architecture and we need a Fermi based card. Anyone know of a thin Fermi based GT 640?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back