3. iMac
  4. Plus
  5. Portable
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
  8. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So i'm poor, and all I have for cd/dvd drives and HD's are IDE, I can't seem to use and of Tony's boot CDs successfully. I'm guessing its due to the fact that I'm using IDE for both installation media and the hard drive. Since I get the "still waiting for root" kernel message. I've changed the integrated peripherals settings to AHCI and the HPET to 64bit, and the sleep settings to S3... I've tried about 4 different boot CD's and even tried using the CD's with the retail SL dvd restored to a USB thumb drive, no dice. My setup is as follows:

P55A-UD3
i7-860
4gb OCz 1600mhz 8,8,8 in dual channel
160gb Maxtor I had sitting around :thumbdown:
MSi ATi HD 4670 w/512mb GDDR3
USB mouse I stole from my high school 8 years ago :rolleyes:
eMac USB keyboard

Any help would be appreciated, I know this motherboard isn't the most common yet for the hackintosh crowd, but I figured it would be a little future-proof having USB 3.0 and whatnot.

jmhalder said:
So i'm poor, and all I have for cd/dvd drives and HD's are IDE, I can't seem to use and of Tony's boot CDs successfully. I'm guessing its due to the fact that I'm using IDE for both installation media and the hard drive. Since I get the "still waiting for root" kernel message. I've changed the integrated peripherals settings to AHCI and the HPET to 64bit, and the sleep settings to S3... I've tried about 4 different boot CD's and even tried using the CD's with the retail SL dvd restored to a USB thumb drive, no dice. My setup is as follows:

P55A-UD3
i7-860
4gb OCz 1600mhz 8,8,8 in dual channel
160gb Maxtor I had sitting around :thumbdown:
MSi ATi HD 4670 w/512mb GDDR3
USB mouse I stole from my high school 8 years ago :rolleyes:
eMac USB keyboard

Any help would be appreciated, I know this motherboard isn't the most common yet for the hackintosh crowd, but I figured it would be a little future-proof having USB 3.0 and whatnot.

Your local <insert computer parts store, such as Fry's> will likely carry an IDE to SATA converter kit. This will include one molex to convert the power connector, and one molex to convert the ribbon cable connector to SATA.

They cost about $10-15 each, and you'd really only need 2. My recommendation, though, is to save up $75 and order a SATA DVD-RW for $25 and a SATA-II 320gb HDD for $50 off Newegg.

Have you tried installing via USB? What IDE controller does your motherboard use? If it's JMicron, there's a kext floating around on the forum made by MacMan and Tony that can allow usage of IDE devices.

its not a jmicron, its actually a ITE IT8213, cause its the P55A board as opposed to a P55 board :rolleyes:
theres a thread here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=155522
this shows that you can just add it to the plist in the appleVIAATA kext... giving it a whirl right now, already got the installer running via usb/bootcd.

maxawesome said:
Your local <insert computer parts store, such as Fry's> will likely carry an IDE to SATA converter kit. This will include one molex to convert the power connector, and one molex to convert the ribbon cable connector to SATA.
heh, i have a ABIT serillel(i think thats actually the name, lol) adapter that I played with a while back but was having problems with my DVD drive hooked up to it... just hooked up my HD to it, seems alright in Win7, gonna do a quick benchmark in Win7 to make sure its working well enough... I guess CD/DVD support will have to come later for me :rolleyes:

I have the GA-P55A-UD3 board & for the last 2 weeks have been trying different kexts & patching the plist files with dev & ven ID's & this method:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=155522
I haven't been successful with any of them to get IDE hard or cd drives working, only managed to brick my system. Thank god for Tony's boot CD.

I know spending money isnt always an option, but I got my sata DVDrw drive for under $30 and a 1TB internal sata for $60...I have the same board as you and no problems with 10.62 or 10.63 with kexts

Good news, found kext for ITE IT8213 IDE Controller for the P55A boards here:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=201917
I just went into the plist file & entered 0x82131283 for the correct dev. & ven. ID's. Actually I just changed the 2 for a 3. Right now I'm partitioning the IDE HDD I have, shows up as internally too. I'm syched cause I have 3 IDE drives that were just sitting around.

Sure, what do you need.

GA-P55A-UD3 / i5-750 / 4GB GSkill 12800 / Corsair 750TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back