Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all,

New user here. I'm having some issues with my network card on a build I just completed. Couple things out of the way - I know the card is good because it was working during my previous installation which I buggered. I'm very inexperienced with OS X, this is my first build.

Anyway, I think I've successfully installed the realtekRTL81xx kext because it shows up in System/Library/Extensions (I used kextbeast and ran system utility in multibeast)

When I go in to my network preferences Ethernet0 is constantly switching between red (not connected) and yellow (no IP address). The wire is good because I use it for my W7 machine. The router and modem are good because I'm in on wireless right now.

What could be wrong? Thanks!

Please install the Debug version, and post your kernel.log (take it from Console.app)

I'm pretty sure I installed the debug version, I think this is what you've asked for.

Attachments

• kernel.log
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
damn. Rebooted to Ubuntu live with no internet. Unplugged and booted up the windows box.. has internet. Looks like the mobo ethernet was almost DOA and decided it would try to give it a run for 15 minutes before crapping out.

doubtful newegg will RMA this before I leave town for work so.. I'll report back whenever this saga ends. :(

Not sure you have to RMA it...

First try SmartLAN for a couple of seconds... this tends to reset the NIC.
If it doesn't you might want to reflash the BIOS (don't forget to reset settings and reconfig them).

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Thanks for the advice. I went in and ran smartLAN and all it did was flash with information repeatedly. When I booted back in to OSX it looks like I have connectivity. I rebooted into BIOS and it was still flashing on smartLAN. Went back to OSX and I still have connectivity. My BIOS won't flash from a USB stick and I don't have any CDs at the moment so I haven't done that.

I'm still a little.. iffy on whether or not the ethernet chip on this board is having issues and I want to RMA it.

Anyway, thanks for the Realtek kext, seems to be working perfectly!

hAvAAck said:
Thanks for the advice. I went in and ran smartLAN and all it did was flash with information repeatedly.
That's what it's supposed to do...

When I booted back in to OSX it looks like I have connectivity. I rebooted into BIOS and it was still flashing on smartLAN. Went back to OSX and I still have connectivity.

The purpose of entering SmartLAN is to fully reset the NIC.
I found in many cases of connectivity problems, it helps...

Anyway, thanks for the Realtek kext, seems to be working perfectly!
:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back