CPU
i3-3225
Graphics
GTX 760
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I decided to upgrade to H97 and got one of these babies: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4992#ov

Has anyone tried this yet? If not I'll try to make a guide (assuming I can set it up without any hiccups).

I do have a technical question: is it possible to convert QHD HDMI 1.4 to dual link DVI or DisplayPort (with a passive adapter)?

The reason I ask is because my monitor only accepts QHD via dual link DVI or DisplayPort, HDMI is capped at 1920x1080.
The motherboard outputs only 1920x1080 over DVI but 2560x1600 over HDMI.
While this shouldn't be an issue (I have a GTX 760) I'd still like to have the option to use the IGPU.

don't have that motherboard but I do have a dell u2711 which like your monitor only accepts Qhd over displayport of dual link dvi. I had to buy a low cost nvidia gt640 with dp in order to get it to work....

I was not able to find a passive hdmi to DP converter... plenty of the opposite though...

good luck...

yeah that's the same I'm seeing. I almost went with an MSI board just to get the QHD DP plug. IDK why Gigabyte would make QHD HDMI only, I'd understand the other way around (QHD on DP only)...

Setup:
i5 4750
GA-H97N-WiFi
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
2TB HDD with Windows 8 in UEFI
256GB SSD with OS X
-Clover is installed on the EFI partition of the SSD
Apple USB Ethernet Adapter
C-Media USB Audio
Atheros 9280 mPCIe (vanilla AirPort)

Well as of now I have the following working:
-GTX 760 as primary with IGPU turned off in BIOS
-Mac App Store access without extra kexts/DSDT edits
-Speedsteping and PWM via SSDT
-UEFI dual boot with Windows 8
-Mouse and full res in Clover
-Audio via C-Media, Ethernet via Apple USB and WiFi via Atheros 9280
-No issues with USB ports, sleep, etc. Have yet to test powernap and such
-Geekbench score is in line with similar systems
-Recovery Partition

I'm using Clover, an edited DSDT & PWM SSDT. The second SSDT is for HDMI audio whenever I figure that out. The only kext is FakeSMC (w/ Plugins).

The DSDT was an issue. Out of the box it gave me compilation errors. I tried applying the H87N-WiFi patch from PJALMs repo but it didn't cut it. I found the solution to the errors in the NUC patch. I applied just the needed fixes from that patch, then the 8 series clean compile from Toleda, and I ended up with a DSDT with lots of warnings and optimizations but no errors.

Specifically, the patches applied from the NUC are:
into_all method label ADBG code_regex (?<=Return\s\(MDBG\))\s+Arg0 remove_matched;
into_all all code_regex If\s\(TCMF\)\s\{\} replace_matched begin
If (TCMF)\n
{\n
Return (Zero)\n
}\n
end;

The other strange thing is that neither Clover nor Chimera are able to boot dropping SSDT. It just hangs (Chimera) or reboots (Clover). If I don't drop SSDTs it still loads my custom ones and will boot. I seriously wonder what's going on there...

I'll attach a preliminary patch file for this motherboard, as well as a dump of my original tables. Do take into account that I'm in no way knowledgeable about DSDT or code, this is just what I was able to throw together to get my DSDT to compile. It may be wrong in many ways.

I still need to figure out HDMI audio, and possibly onboard audio as well if I can get Clover's auto kext patching to work, I don't want to edit my AppleHDA since I don't need onboard anyways.

For ethernet all that's needed is probably a kext for the Intel controller.
View attachment EFI.zip
View attachment ACPI.zip
View attachment GA-H97N-WIFI.txt

I came across this thread after a week of trying to find a solution to my hackintosh woes. I'm pretty new to all this, so the learning curve has been pretty steep... patching and compiling DSDTs? Oy!

But I have your same motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-h97n-wifi. (i5 4690K [didn't know I didn't need a K] 2x8GB Crucial cheapie RAM, a recommended firewire card for all my legacy equipment, and I replaced the stock wifi half-mini card with an Azurewave BCM94352HMB). I've installed El Capitan 10.11.2/3 with and without Unibeast using Clover, as well as Yosemite using Clover and/or Chameleon (? it wasn't clear which the installer was using). I have thrown all the more common fixes as it that I've encountered for sleep/wake issues, but the problem persists:

Putting the computer to sleep usually, but not always, results in a near-immediate wake. USB doesn't work (for example, caps lock/num lock keys don't light up so I'm pretty sure this isn't just a matter of the display not showing an image, while the rest of the computer is working normally), the display will power on for a second, but with no image, and eventually the computer will reboot after a kernel panic of some sort.

Anyway, yours is the only post I've found that offers some sort of DSDT patch for this board. How have you fared since you first wrote this? Have OS X upgrades treated you kindly?

Hopefully this will help me out a bit, at least provide some new evidence which I will definitely try to document in a new thread should it lead anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back