Contribute
Register

GA-H87N-WIFI Mavericks 10.9 Bluetooth issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I solved it by booting to safe mode (with -x), deleting the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist from /Library/preferences and starting the machine normally again. After that it will work again, but after shutting the system down and starting it 3-4 times I had to repeat the process :banghead:
This could be related to the F4 bios, but it could also have something to do with the revision of the board itself (Mine is rev. 2.0).
I'm going to remove the PCIe mini card and install the gmyle bluetooth usb dongle, which seems to work perfectly, and a atheros wifi card.

Just ordered the dongle, too. Hope that this will end the mess and I can use my Apple BT keyboard.

One other question (and not network related), since you have the same CPU as I have: Do you have jumps in CPU temperature, too? Here is what I measured:

BIOS, 40-41°C
Mac OS X, Idle, 32°C
Prime95 Torture Test: The temperature climbs in about 3 seconds from 32°C to 60°C and then slowly up to 67°C. When I stop the test the temperature falls in about 3 seconds back to 35°C - 40°C and then slowly back to idle temps. I am somewhat irritated by the fast temperature changes. I also made the same measures with Ubuntu 13.10 (to make sure, that the temperatures are not wrong due to the FakeSMC Plugin).

My system is packed very tight in an http://www.alternate.de/Antec/ISK_110_VESA,_Gehaeuse/html/product/955958/? with a low profile CPU Cooler http://www.alternate.de/Alpenfoehn/Silvretta,_CPU-Kuehler/html/product/1082952/?. Hence I am pretty happy with the overall temperature. But as I said, I find the fast changes somewhat strange.

Greetings

I solved it by booting to safe mode (with -x), deleting the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist from /Library/preferences and starting the machine normally again. After that it will work again, but after shutting the system down and starting it 3-4 times I had to repeat the process :banghead:
This could be related to the F4 bios, but it could also have something to do with the revision of the board itself (Mine is rev. 2.0).
I'm going to remove the PCIe mini card and install the gmyle bluetooth usb dongle, which seems to work perfectly, and a atheros wifi card.

BT wasn't working this morning, so I followed your procedure. Funny thing was, it worked in safe mode and then again after removing the plist and rebooting.

FWIW I am on rev 2.0, F4 bios too.

Just ordered the dongle, too. Hope that this will end the mess and I can use my Apple BT keyboard.

One other question (and not network related), since you have the same CPU as I have: Do you have jumps in CPU temperature, too? Here is what I measured:

BIOS, 40-41°C
Mac OS X, Idle, 32°C
Prime95 Torture Test: The temperature climbs in about 3 seconds from 32°C to 60°C and then slowly up to 67°C. When I stop the test the temperature falls in about 3 seconds back to 35°C - 40°C and then slowly back to idle temps. I am somewhat irritated by the fast temperature changes. I also made the same measures with Ubuntu 13.10 (to make sure, that the temperatures are not wrong due to the FakeSMC Plugin).

My system is packed very tight in an http://www.alternate.de/Antec/ISK_110_VESA,_Gehaeuse/html/product/955958/? with a low profile CPU Cooler http://www.alternate.de/Alpenfoehn/Silvretta,_CPU-Kuehler/html/product/1082952/?. Hence I am pretty happy with the overall temperature. But as I said, I find the fast changes somewhat strange.

Greetings

I'm using the same case as you do (mounted on the back of my tv with a vesa adapter) - absolutely love it.
But I'm using the stock Intel cooler and I'd the temperatures you're measuring are correct. Before upgrading to a Haswell CPU I used a Core 2 Duo E7200 on a Zotac GeForce 9300 with the stock Intel cooler and the temperatures were nearly the same. 35-38°C on idle and about 55-65°C on full throttle, depending on the room temperature. The fast changes should be normal, since the fans speed is increasing as soon as the temperature rises and therefore cools it down pretty quick as the load goes down.
The thing is: I can't test it on my build (at least not under OSX). The only temperature I can read through an app is the ssds. I don't know why it doesn't show the CPU sensor.

I will receive my bluetooth dongle tomorrow and try it as soon as I get home from work. Also got a magic trackpad today to test it and play around with it :)

BT wasn't working this morning, so I followed your procedure. Funny thing was, it worked in safe mode and then again after removing the plist and rebooting.

FWIW I am on rev 2.0, F4 bios too.

What I don't get about this is why deleting the plist on the normally booted OS doesn't solve the problem. Tried it a couple of times and it never helped.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had the same issue with Bluetooth (not recognized) Jusy got the Gmyle and it works like a charm..

Did you remove the wifi/bluetooth combo? My Gmyle should be in today.

BTW, anyone notice that there is a BIOS update from GIGABYTE? Haven't tried it. Wanted to see if it has helped solve the issue for anyone else.

FYI, installed the F5 bios and all the stuff I use continues to work, however I don't use a bluetooth keyboard. So, I don't think F5 can make it any worse ;-)

I have been having the same issues with the similar board (H77N) on a stock build (no custom kexts, etc.). My trackpad worked for a while but then was unresponsive. Loading the bluetooth system preferences would cause system preferences itself to hang for quite a while, and then beachball for several seconds at a time. After searching around I found the terminal commands for killing/restarting the bluetooth process and cycled the service off/on (since I don't have the option to turn bluetooth off in the menu bar context menu):

defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist ControllerPowerState
#read the current pref, returns '0' for off and '1' for on.

--
All of the following will require sudo if run from the command line:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist ControllerPowerState 0
#set bluetooth pref to off

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist ControllerPowerState 1
#set bluetooth pref to on

killall blued
#kill the bluetooth server process

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist
#unload the daemon

launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist
#reload the daemon

launchctl start com.apple.blued
#restart blued daemon

---

After doing this, my trackpad prompted to pair again and my keyboard was discovered. I haven't tested this beyond the current logged in session, so we shall see how it goes. My Hack runs 24/7 and only reboots about four times a year, so unless it crashes in the session, I hope it won't be an ongoing issue.

Interesting. I ended up replacing the bluetooth with a USB device linked earlier and that works every time, no issues. Otherwise I'd test your commands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back