Contribute
Register

GA-H67N-USB3-B3 Dual HDMI Monitors with HD3000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU
Core i7 3770S
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am interested in building a very compact Sandy Bridge system with dual monitors. That brings me to the GA-H67N-USB3-B3 motherboard which has Dual HDMI outputs onboard. Has anyone successfully used Dual HDMI with any HD3000 CPU such as the Core i3 2105, Core i5 2500K, or Core i7 2600K? I know all the issues with the HD3000 have not been fully worked out but I'm wondering if anyone might be close. Is it realistic to even hope that both HDMI ports would work in order to support dual monitors? Thank you.

brycv said:
I am interested in building a very compact Sandy Bridge system with dual monitors. That brings me to the GA-H67N-USB3-B3 motherboard which has Dual HDMI outputs onboard. Has anyone successfully used Dual HDMI with any HD3000 CPU such as the Core i3 2105, Core i5 2500K, or Core i7 2600K? I know all the issues with the HD3000 have not been fully worked out but I'm wondering if anyone might be close. Is it realistic to even hope that both HDMI ports would work in order to support dual monitors? Thank you.

I have the H67N-USB3/i5-2405S. The results are mixed. It will boot on HDMI1 but won't boot if any thing is plugged in HDMI2 at the same time. It "boots" on HDMI2 but it is useless because of graphics error reporting. If you boot on HDMI1 and plug in HDM2 after boot you can have two screens. HDMI audio is not working at this time though 889 audio works perfectly. i have edited the framebuffers, tried several smbios and continue to experiment. Frankly, no Apple product has two HDMI ports. What I have at the moment is best described as unstable after a weeks worth of work. If Gigabyte offered DP and HDMI with say the Z68N, that would be ideal for dual monitor systems.

Thanks for your response. I would love to see a Gigabyte Z68M-based mini-itx board with DP and HDMI. From the research I did this evening it doesn't sound like one is coming. Maybe I'll try this board out anyway and work around the issues.

When you say unstable are you referring to the overall system or just using dual monitors? Thank you.

Hi,

i am successfully using the Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 with intel core i3-2105.
Got HD3000 working with sketchers method.
Dual monitor setup works for me with both hdmi ports and macbook pro 8.1 def.
Boot with both hdmi ports plugged in is also working for me.
VGA Port doesn't work at all.

Edit: Hdmi 1 is a hdmi-hdmi cable
Hdmi 2 is hdmi-dvi cable

Neyda said:
Hi,

Hdmi 2 is hdmi-dvi cable

That's great news. Toleda, have you tried sketcher's method to get it working? If so, did you run into other issues?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26767&hilit=sketcher+hd3000

Theoretically it shouldn't matter whether it is the i3 2105 or i5 2405s, should it? The case I am looking at supports only up to 65W processors which pretty much leaves the i3 2105 and i5 2405s as the only options with HD3000 graphics. Thank you for the responses!

brycv said:
When you say unstable are you referring to the overall system or just using dual monitors? Thank you.

The usual; kernel panics, artifacts, top half grey, bottom half grey, white screen, missed Chameleon boot prompt because there's no display, etc. I have not been able to get device_id 0112 (native) to work; I inject 0126. In summary, one in five boots are satisfactory. The motherboard works great with discrete graphics. By the way, I'm told Gigabyte is definitely doing a Z68 ITX but not until next year.

brycv said:
That's great news. Toleda, have you tried sketcher's method to get it working? If so, did you run into other issues?

Theoretically it shouldn't matter whether it is the i3 2105 or i5 2405s, should it? The case I am looking at supports only up to 65W processors which pretty much leaves the i3 2105 and i5 2405s as the only options with HD3000 graphics. Thank you for the responses!

Tried sketcher's, tried all the others. Only worked with patches; settled on dsdt device_id injection.

Regarding 2105 vs 2405; no turbo(0000) vs turbo (1378)? 2 cores vs 4 cores? 4 threads vs 4 cores? $130 vs $200? 2405 GB: 7156

toleda said:
brycv said:

Tried sketcher's, tried all the others. Only worked with patches; settled on dsdt device_id injection.

Regarding 2105 vs 2405; no turbo(0000) vs turbo (1378)? 2 cores vs 4 cores? 4 threads vs 4 cores? $130 vs $200? 2405 GB: 7156

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant as far as HD3000 graphics it shouldn't matter that much between different processors but it looks like it does. The device ID's are different, etc. I'm glad to confirm that at least the i3 2105 works. I have seen very little mentioning the i5 2405s in general. I may just find a different case that takes a more power hungry processor and go with an i5 2500K or i7 2600K. Thanks for your response.

Neyda said:
Hi,

Hdmi 2 is hdmi-dvi cable

Are you running Lion? With the 1.7.1 update?

Which AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext did you use (tony's or rimmi2002's)? And did you add the key/value pair to your smbios.plist for dual monitor support?

I'm trying to get it working on the same mobo but with an i5-2405s. I get higher resolutions, but I need to use the underscan option to fit to my screen. Also, the quality of the picture is not nice at all.

Cheers,
Niels

PS: If you don't mind sharing your kexts, that would be helpful to test...

NielsR said:
Are you running Lion? With the 1.7.1 update?

Which AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext did you use (tony's or rimmi2002's)? And did you add the key/value pair to your smbios.plist for dual monitor support?

I'm trying to get it working on the same mobo but with an i5-2405s. I get higher resolutions, but I need to use the underscan option to fit to my screen. Also, the quality of the picture is not nice at all.

Cheers,
Niels

PS: If you don't mind sharing your kexts, that would be helpful to test...

Yes Lion with 10.7.1 Update, had some artifacts with 10.7.0.
I am using the kexts from the 10.7.1 update and edited them with my id: 0112.
I only installed the macbook pro 8.1 def via multi beast.
But there is the same smboardproduct key in smbios.plist as in sketcher´s instructions.

Attachments

• AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext.zip
    582.1 KB · Views: 54
  • AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.zip
    218.6 KB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back