i7
Graphics
HD 5770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Re: Computer Shuts down randomly under load - Only in OSX

What happens when you disable CxE and/or EIST and do it?

I'd lean more towards maybe a faulty or weak psu if it happens under load. Then again it could be a few things.

kwiksilver said:
The same thing.

Though I am starting to lean towards some kind of hardware problems, b/c it finally did it in windows too. Though temps never broke 65C.

*sigh*

Would an overheating video card do it?

no .check your ram settings and try different slot.for your bios, check this http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/opt ... ation.html

Hello kwiksilver.

Are you still happy with the fix? Would you say that it was really the heatsink on the chipset?

I have been having the exact same problem and have tried multiple solutions without much success.

I'm gonna try your solution tonight and see how it goes.

R.

I believe I can confirm this is the correct diagnosis. I also had this problem show up suddenly about 2 weeks ago after 1 month of rock solid operation. Unfortunately, it coincided with a messed up OS X boot partition (after I did something stupid), an attempt to switch out to an SFX PSU, and a power failure in the house, so I initially attributed it to PSU instability and motherboard damage. Cue 2 weeks of random, incredibly annoying shutdowns (sudden shutdown while almost idle after 72h of heavy use, etc), multiple PSU swaps, and zero progress towards a solution :)

Chipset temps always seemed perfectly decent to me (I came from a Zotac GF9300 ITX with the northbridge running at 70 deg C passively cooled on a good day and 60 deg with a fan on it), so it didn't occur to me to consider that possibility.

Recently found this thread which seems to confirm that chipset cooling is the issue:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=954477

Throwing a little 40mm fan on it seems to have solved the problems though. Will report back on how things go.

Kwiksilver, can you confirm which chipset heatsink you went with? Did you find one that fits the mounting holes? I'm looking at one of the Enzos.

Ok, so after way too many experiments, I've found that the magic number for me is 52 deg C. Push past that on chipset temp and the system goes down hard. Looks like a nice big 80mm fan will be pointing at it until I decide on an alternative HSF.

Reporting from the trenches...

I took out the default chipset cooler (with the Gigabyte sticker on it), wiped clean with a solvent and replaced with a Zalman ZM-NB47J passive northbridge cooler, along with fresh thermal grease.

Still no love...

Shutdown after 1st cycle on Intel Burn-In test, set to hard. I think I am officially out of leads here. I even bought a friggin' surge protector!!

Silverstone Tek support is beating around the bush and not giving any decent diagnosis, and I am real tired of this PC!! My Shuttle SN 25P is watching me from the bottom shelf, laughing at this new purchase...

I'm gonna write a full web review of this soon, complete with picture to help anyone out there share their woes - bronze plus certification, my a**!!!!

signed up just to say i now HATE this motherboard.
i normaly chosse Gigabyte over any other motherboard but the guys who designed this one really need to be shot thees a special place in hell for them...

yeh im pretty angry iv bought 3 different heat-sinks for this motherboard and 2 different north-bridge cooler and still cant get the dam thing to stop over heating not to mention trying to tighten the north-bridge cooler having so much crap in the way it impossible to fit a normal one then whos smart idea was it to put chips on the back of the motherboard so you cant use cpu coolers with back plates.

yeh i could go on and on but for a first attempt at mini itx motherboards its pretty poor, and dont know if any of you have had the problem with stick a good cpu cooler on and you loose the pcie port or sometimes the graphics card moves a little bit and shorts out on the heat-sink

the anoying part is theres north bridges are desinged to run at around 60-65C so why the heck do they shut off at 50C

a bit of advice to anyone thinking about buying this board is simply dont go buy a Zotac one its alot cheaper in the long run

Thanks for letting me moan abit :D
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back