1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My situation:
Had a stable, working 10.6.6 build with
GA-H55M-S2V F3
Core i3-540
Radeon 5670, using Chameleon ATI experimental bootloader

On upgrading to 10.6.6 during post-install had working audio from Pulpo's instructions. Machine was stable and working great. Enter System Update 10.6.7.

You'll notice I have an ATI card, one which is has the same chipset as in some of the current gen iMac's. Having seen that 10.6.7 brought native graphics acceleration for a number of ATI cards, including mine. After finding one (count them, one!) reference of Baruy successfully updating his machine to 10.6.7 with my mobo and no need to adjust his sound, I thought, why not? Big mistake.

On upgrade, not only did my onboard audio disappear, but my interface to my webcam disappeared as well (likely as it gets fed through AppleHDA). I had no audio whatsoever. After trying Pulpo's instructions several times, along with many permutations, I was going nowhere fast. In all fairness, the blog post on 10.6.7 told me that audio would be changed up, I just didn't anticipate such major changes.

So, after some mild freaking out, watching some YouTube video of some guy who appears to be Russian "downgrading" his machine from 10.6.6 to 10.6.5 for a re-upgrade to 10.6.6... I think, with no sound mind you, I did the following:

1- Forced my machine to think it was running 10.6.5 by
-downloading the trial version of PlistEdit Pro
-editing my SystemVersion.plist in /System/Library/CoreServices using
-the Snow Leopard "Build" Version found on this Apple page
-to reflect that I was using OS X version 10.6.5

2- Removing the old audio kexts and running the 10.6.6 update, downloaded separately as .dmg from Apple

3- Running MultiBeast for all my hardware to work (including Pulpo's instructions for audio)

and finally

4- Breathing a big sigh of relief when my sound magically reappeared.

Why was my sound not working using the same methodology under 10.6.7? I have no freaking clue. If anyone else gets stuck, hopefully this helps.

@edm00se I have the same mobo but I'm using an nVidia graphics card. Sound icon disappeared from the top and no sound whatsoever. I am going to give your method a try and see what happens.

dArtery

dartery said:
@edm00se I have the same mobo but I'm using an nVidia graphics card. Sound icon disappeared from the top and no sound whatsoever. I am going to give your method a try and see what happens.

dArtery

My icon remained, which I found odd, but was grayed out with volume slider at "0". I had nothing viewable under System Prefernces > Sound for Output Devices. Please post back with your results.

I do not have the same mobo as yours, but sound has normally been brought back after upgrades by doing:

After downloading and upgrading to 10.6.7
Delete APPLEHDA.kext in S/L/E
Run MultiBeast to load ALC8xx.kext and AppleHDArollback, and System Utilities
Restart
Go to Settings and make sure correct Output is selected.

kext names may not exactly be correct since I am not on my hack, but should be directionally correct to try. MultiBeast 3.4 was used in my case.

If you have other audio kexts installed in S/L/E or E/E, you may have to delete those as well. If you have spare drive, I highly recommend using Carbon Copy or similar app to create a backup or clone in case things go bad. Good luck!

slowjin said:
I do not have the same mobo as yours, but sound has normally been brought back after upgrades by doing:

Restart

Maybe you missed it, but that's exactly what I first tried after upgrading to 10.6.7. This thread is here because it didn't work for me. I know that's how it's supposed to work, but ... it didn't.

edm00se said:
slowjin said:

Restart

Maybe you missed it, but that's exactly what I first tried after upgrading to 10.6.7. This thread is here because it didn't work for me. I know that's how it's supposed to work, but ... it didn't.

Hey, sorry you are frustrated, but just trying help here. I went to 'Pulpo's Guide' and because I saw these steps:

3 - Install GigabyteALC888bautoHP.kext in Snow/Extra/Extensions

4 - Download Kext Utility or install from Multibeast.

5 - Throwing each file into Kext Utility, install AppleHDA.kext (rollback 10.6.2) and HDAEnabler.kext (manual put both files in Snow/System/Libray/Extensions)

I had added in my last paragraph that you may have to delete these as well. Not sure if I read that you had done this.

slowjin said:
edm00se said:
slowjin said:

Restart

Hey, sorry you are frustrated, but just trying help here. I went to 'Pulpo's Guide' and because I saw these steps:

3 - Install GigabyteALC888bautoHP.kext in Snow/Extra/Extensions

4 - Download Kext Utility or install from Multibeast.

5 - Throwing each file into Kext Utility, install AppleHDA.kext (rollback 10.6.2) and HDAEnabler.kext (manual put both files in Snow/System/Libray/Extensions)

I had added in my last paragraph that you may have to delete these as well. Not sure if I read that you had done this.

Do as you like, but I'm guessing you've never heard of an implied task before. As with many of the comments in his thread and all over this forum, when dealing with existing kexts and installing new, it's best to remove the old ones.

Since you're being so literal, I've added that function under my step 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back