Contribute
Register

GA-B75M-D3P won't post with RX 580 installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Gigamaxx for your response!

I assume that 600 Watts should be more than adequate but, perhaps there's something wrong with those rails? who knows. I just want to check that off the list. I'd actually love for the PSU to be faulty and the cause of the problems.

I'm wondering why you are suggesting my board is non-UEFI. I had assumed that it has UEFI because on the Overview tab of the product page (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3P-rev-10#ov), it says it has "UEFI DualBIOS™ Technology". But on the Specifications tab, it makes no mention of UEFI, just has a BIOS section:
  1. 2 x 64 Mbit flash
  2. Use of licensed AMI EFI BIOS
  3. Support for DualBIOS™
  4. PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.7, WfM 2.0, SM BIOS 2.7, ACPI 5.0
So, I'm a little confused... am I running BIOS or UEFI?

I am not running two video cards. I had been running with integrated graphics on this board for a long time, and I just bought this RX 580 so I can run in 4K resolution (this system functions as a HTPC).

I mentioned earlier in the thread that my BIOS version (should that be a face-palm tip off for me? lol) is 4 versions old, but according to the upgrade details, the only benefits for each version were

1. Improve onboard D-SUB compatibility
  2. Enhanced Realtek LAN compatibility
  3. Fixed CPU warning temperature issue
That doesn't mean there aren't other fixes and updates, but you'd think they would spell those out if they existed?

At any rate, I'm unclear on how to tell if the board has UEFI mode capability (with or without a BIOS update). How would I be able to figure that out?

In bios look for tha Sata drive boot options, is there a UEFI (EFI partition) disk option?
Usually, there will be an option for Legacy or UEFI boot.

I’m sorry I did t mean to imply your board was Legacy or Bios only, but older systems that don’t have UEFI are reporting issues in Mojave. High Sierra is very close to Mojave and some of the issues may be present as well.

In bios look for tha Sata drive boot options, is there a UEFI (EFI partition) disk option?
Usually, there will be an option for Legacy or UEFI boot.

I’m sorry I did t mean to imply your board was Legacy or Bios only, but older systems that don’t have UEFI are reporting issues in Mojave. High Sierra is very close to Mojave and some of the issues may be present as well.

You know, now that I think about it, I know some of the boot options say UEFI. It just doesn't look like a very fancy UEFI BIOS. my other hackintosh has graphics and an actual GUI. This one doesn't seem very fancy, if it is indeed UEFI (which it does seem to be). This screenshot shows the boot options.

IMG_7512.jpg

Graphics web drivers? Never had to before as i was running integrated graphics. And this is a fresh install.

The system doesn't even POST though, so this issue happens before web drivers would even load, right?

I attempted to change the Display init priority in the BIOS to PCI, but it seems to default back to AUTO. I don't recall if I tried adjusting either of the following settings:
  1. Internal Graphics - AUTO
  2. Internal Graphics Memory Size - 64M
I think at one point I was afraid if I disabled IGPU and the other card didn't work, I wouldn't be able to switch it back since I wouldn't be able to see anything.

are you saying I should check for graphics status in clover WHILE running with the RX 580?

I don't even get that far. The system turns on, fans spin, but there's no beep, and no POST as far as I can tell. Nothing shows up on the screen.

The system always beeps when it boots up normally.

are you saying I should check for graphics status in clover WHILE running with the RX 580?

I don't even get that far. The system turns on, fans spin, but there's no beep, and no POST as far as I can tell. Nothing shows up on the screen.

The system always beeps when it boots up normally.

At the clover boot screen use cursor arrows to go to Options tab. Open and go to Graphics settings tab. You can manually adjust settings there.

At the clover boot screen use cursor arrows to go to Options tab. Open and go to Graphics settings tab. You can manually adjust settings there.

Sorry, to clarify, do I do this with the RX 580 installed? (I don't get to the clover boot screen with the RX 580 installed and plugged into power)

Sorry, to clarify, do I do this with the RX 580 installed? (I don't get to the clover boot screen with the RX 580 installed and plugged into power)

With igpu enabled the screen will be on the igpu connection.

I had a similar experience (system not posting) when I installed a nVidia graphics card in my B75M-D3P a while back. What got me going was to have (in BIOS) "Init Display First" and "Internal Graphics" both set as AUTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back