2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
:cry::cry: Noooooooooo!
Hello folks.
I was installing Ubuntu for a friend yesterday using my G5 Hackintosh. I had a SATA drive with ubuntu installer on it, and a blank drive. well i only have 2 3.5" slots (G5 rack) so i removed my 1TB main drive, and put in the other 2. I powered up and now it won't work, AT ALL! I have it now on the bench in my shop, out of the case, with just my mobo, CPU and Ram. I tried 3 different PSU's. With the ram out the POST buzzer beeeps slowly (the normal ram error) but with ram, it does nothing (that i can tell) the fan spins up, but there is no video out on any port and if i throw in an old GFX card, there is nothing from that, either. there is no post of any kind, and i have no error code port. it just hangs there with the fan on low forever. I have re-seated the ram and CPU multiple times. this build has been working A-OK for 5 months at least, and i am a total noob and have no idea what to do next.

Remove the power lead.
Remove the CMOS battery - It looks like a chrome coin - Wait a short time then put it back.
Or there will be a jumper somewhere to short and clear the CMOS but it's easier to just pull the battery for a short time.
This will clear all the settings in the BIOS back to defaults.
Plug the power lead back in and switch on.

Tried that, It had no effect. after I reset cmos the fan spun up for a second, then resumed its normal infinite hang. could the bios be corupt? It has Gigabyte dual-bios, but i don't know how well that really works. I bet if i had replacements i could solder them on without screwing too much up.

Tried that, It had no effect. after I reset cmos the fan spun up for a second, then resumed its normal infinite hang. could the bios be corupt? It has Gigabyte dual-bios, but i don't know how well that really works. I bet if i had replacements i could solder them on without screwing too much up.

It happened to me many times tweaking hds this thing, and I've always solved resetting cmos and pulling the battery out for a 5 minutes.
I suggest you to retry.

And recheck ram.

: (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back