Contribute
Register

G5 with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Djulink,

Please remember the rules of the forum though and do not contact me through the forum or the Private Messaging system for anything that might be seen to be against forum rules. :)

No worries, I did read about that :D; I'll keep in touch if I'm willing to do so in a near by future

Where did you get the hard drive rack? And the plug adaptor? I've been searching for something like that! Thank you

Little update today.

Had some spare time so tackled the G5 power supply housing.

p2041552.jpg

Opening up the original case shows just how filthy these things get inside and how dust kills computers (note to self - get some filters).

p2041561.jpg

I am going to re-use the front connector - to re-use the original Mac front cable that runs from bottom to top. I want to do this because the original cable conveniently has two SATA power connectors (which will power all the drives in the hotswapper) and one Molex (for the fan controller). So I will be removing the original long Molex connector from my ATX supply and grafting on the original G5 plug which is conveniently colour coded.

p2041565tn.jpg

I'll also be re-using the original plug and housing for it so it is easiest to just clip that short now.

p2041562.jpg

PCB for the G5 is then removed.

p2041564.jpg

Washed out the interior - and found a load of old washers and stuff in there too - glad I didn't try and power on this supply.

p2041566.jpg

Then I marked out the interior for where I will place the PCB from the ATX supply I am using. Goal here was to get the PCB placed in the box as close to the door side of the G5 as I could and also positioned so it would be in an area where my hotswapper will NOT be standing as I am thinking of cutting the top of the G5 box for ventilation so I want to leave that option open. Keeping it as close to the door side as I can also lets me see later if there will be room for a top fan that will not interfere with the ATX mobo when in place. Another reason for keeping it that side is that the 60mm fan openings at the front are biased to be on that side of the case. All those decisions to come later when I see how things pan out.....

In deciding how to mount it I put it so that one of the existing standoffs for the PCB could be used and so I would just have to drill three holes for the remaining supports. Also mounting it to get the heatsinks in line with the direction of airflow and cause minimal obstruction.

p2041567.jpg

p2041568.jpg

p2041569.jpg

Holes drilled and out came my trusty rivet nut tool which makes light work of putting in new fixings.

p2041570.jpg

p2041571.jpg

p2041572.jpg

p2041573.jpg

Note yet done with the PSU - TBC

Did you use an acryl plate as an isolater unter the PSU circuit board?
How much of the new fixings threads do ride out of the PSU case?

I'm going to re-use the original plastic isolator from the G5 to avoid shorts.

The M3 rivetnuts I use give a standoff of about 6mm inside the case and are a flush fit underneath. I used 8mm screws which do not protrude at all under the case when holding the PCB down. It is probably the quickest way - and maybe the neatest as well as secure - to do a PSU mod (IMO).

The thing that will take the time now is the cable management: shortening cables, sleeving (I hate that part) and tidying away cables that I don't want to use so they are out of the airflow.

The M3 rivetnuts I use give a standoff of about 6mm inside the case and are a flush fit underneath. I used 8mm screws which do not protrude at all under the case when holding the PCB down. It is probably the quickest way - and maybe the neatest as well as secure - to do a PSU mod (IMO).

Indeed! :)

Brillant! That looks like it will work perfectly for when I mount my power supply! You keep coming up with solutions to the problems I have been having! Thanks!

Jeffinslaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back