Contribute
Register

G5 USB 3.0 Front Panel and Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oy vey, I just came across this thread and was very interested... until the rules came crashing down.

If there's any chance for this to ever get off the ground (eBay or something? no idea) I would totally be in for a dual USB version, or a USB+FW version. Whatever works, so long as the ports are working and I don't have to cut the front panel. Hell, if you have a PCB design up and ready, I recall one of my EE classmates saying something about how he found a place to print them really cheaply...

Of course, doing it myself without a custom PCB would probably be relatively straightforward, if sloppier. In any case, ahkilv, it sounds like you've put a huge amount of thought into this and it's very appreciated.

I'm also interested in this solution, the 2x usb 3.0.

Shame it's against the forum rules, like all things it should be just buyer beware, would it be against the rules to run a 3rd party crowdfunding for it to get it made?

Yeah, Definitely still interested in this. Sad the original poster seems to have vanished completely; I can't find him anywhere to contact him :c shame really, was an excellent idea.

Another suggestion for this project is using the combined combined in/out/optical audio jack of the MacBook Pro. Searching eBay for "MacBook Pro headphone jack" gives this jack with a small 20 pin connector. If one wishes to make the ultimate solution I suggest this component or an equivalent be included.

Does someone know where one can find a matching 20 pin connector which can be used for soldering normal wires to connect to the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back