Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I know a full ATX fits but why wouldn't everyone just use a mATX? I'm new to building computers and I don't understand. mATX boards seem as feature rich to me as a full one. Can someone help straighten me out?

Because mATX only have 4 extension slots, which fits perfectly with the 4 extension slots in the G5 case. With an ATX you have more, and therefore need to cut out the whole back and make a new one in aluminium.

aaahhh ok. Thanks. So you're saying if I already ordered a mountain mods motherboard tray and back panel I should go with an ATX lol.

SPerk15 said:
aaahhh ok. Thanks. So you're saying if I already ordered a mountain mods motherboard tray and back panel I should go with an ATX lol.

If you're willing to cut in your G5 chassis, then yeah.

Like this:

PSU-fitting-2.jpg

rear-running-without-side-cvr.jpg

Check this out: http://www.1neilhart.com/G5-Hack/index1.html

Or like this :D
I went full ATX with Mountain Mod Mobo tray because at first I had it set up with only cutting the IO section out. But I ran out of PCI slots (with only 4) and decided to get a mobo tray and cut out the back.

IMG_5014.jpg

thanks guys!

@eelhead- I ordered the same tray/back combo as you and have a quick question. I don't have the parts in front of me now (I had them shipped to my parents house as I'm on sabbatical for 2 more months), so I'm sure I'll understand the moment I can actually see the pieces, but how did you screw the back panel to the backside of the case?

I envision it as say if the tray is 11 inches tall by say 7 inches wide (lets just make it a rectange for easy explanation), then did you cut a whole in your case 10 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches and screw the case into the overlapping aluminum?

Thanks!

1) Remove the original backplate and the standoffs.
2) JB welt some new standoffs in position for your tray
3) Mount the tray :)

Would be my take.

gotcha, but as far as the screws in the back for mounting, they have to be screwed into the aluminum back so the hole I cut should be a good half inch smaller all around than the mountain mod backplate right? I know this is a stupid simple question on my part but better ask tons of questions before then to mess it up during.

SPerk15 said:
gotcha, but as far as the screws in the back for mounting, they have to be screwed into the aluminum back so the hole I cut should be a good half inch smaller all around than the mountain mod backplate right? I know this is a stupid simple question on my part but better ask tons of questions before then to mess it up during.

I would wait till you have the mobo tray in hand before you cut the opening.

I used small metric screws and nuts with washers to fasten the rear of the mobo tray to the G5 case. What I did was almost what you have in mind by leaving the opening smaller then the panel. I then set tray in and marked out the spots that the scew holes lined up with the rear of the G5 case. I then drilled the openings where it lined up out a bit more so I can set my screws through easy.

At the front of the mobo tray there are 4 holes. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. What I did was use the 10.2mm G5 standoffs and attached those to the front of the mobo tray. I then set JB weld on the bottom of those and set the tray into place fastening it to the back side and then letting the front ones find there place and gluing into place. As it set I put some weight on it to let it set.

The edge where the IO is I cut almost flush with the side of the case. I had to remove all of the side panel screws to do so. I did put them back on after I made the cut.

You have to get close to the edge where the fans are or they don't fit flush against the back panel of the mobo tray because it will touch the G5 case where you cut it.

I also cut the side panel latch opening out as well.

I can snag a couple of pics if needed later today, just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back