Graphics
Radeon HD6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've got a pair of heat sinks from the G5 I just gutted to build my system. Does anyone know if it is possible or feasible to mount one of these to an i7 in a 1155 socket? I know the screws/holes won't line up but I'm also a bit concerned about the weight. One of these has got to be about 4 pounds.

Don't do it. They are not efficient or designed for your CPU. While I am sure a lash up could be made to fit them, it is generally considered that to try and stick them on would not be a good idea....

I was able to get the the big metal (cast metal) piece off by cutting with a pnuematic grinder - by cutting along the sides of the of the copper and outside the heat tubes (and cutting into the opening for the heat tubes) - the idea is to be able to later pry the cast metal from the copper tubes - by using 2 large flat heads and sticking them between the coper and the cast metal
Once you achive that - you just lost about 90% of the weight
In terms of heat efficientcy - I can say that during my efforts - I used a toarch....on the bottom trying to loosen the (assumed) epoxy - the heat sink was cool to the touch with in several seconds of removing the flame -

I am going to try to mount this to my i5 for no reason other then I want to - I know the i5 is supper cool and this is way way overkill - but it will go with my purist G5 mod

hope that helps someone..

Have you thought about modifying the heat-sink so that it will fit over the i7 heat-sink? (or the i5 for whiskeynipple0088) I don't know if you are using an aftermarket cooler or the one that comes in the retail box for the proc, but if you are using that one, its way smaller than the one off the G5 - you could hollow out the middle of it and slide it on top. It wouldn't be functional, it would reduce the airflow a bit to the proc, but it would achieve that look. If you're gonna OC, than forget it - you'd be hard pressed to use the stock cooler, and if you did, you don't wanna impede the airflow. The aluminum base plate is 3.5"x7" and the fins are 5.5" tall (5.75 if you count the caps on the heat pipes). The fins are offset by .5" on the socket side and .625" on the other. The funky additional radiator w/ heatpipe is 1.25" wide. Given this generous amount of room, I'd surmise that you could hack this thing to where it fits over your stock cooler. Again, don't even think about it if you ever plan to OC.

If I had some better machine tools, I'd be all over this - I have an i5 that I don't plan on overclocking (at least for the moment). That's another thing to consider - don't hack at this with a Dremel and flat blade screwdrivers... although its my tool of choice, I think on something like this, it'll looked hacked... and that'll destroy the overall look you're going for.

Good luck to both of you. Keep the post coming so we can see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back