Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Alright, so I'm a newbie to casemods, but I had a G5 Mac that was given to me, and I decided to go for a new gaming rig. I'm not sure if what I got is compatible with the Mac OS, but it doesn't really matter all that much to me, as long as I can get everything together.

Here are my specs so far:
Mobo - MSI 970A-G45
Hard Drive - 2 SATA, one with OS X already installed (from the G5), one that I just got to install windows on
Video Card - Sapphire Radeon 6870 1G
RAM - 8 Gig (4x2) ballistix ram
CPU - AMD Phenom II Quad-core 955 Black ed.
PSU - Corsair 600w

So far I have removed all of the old standoffs, cut a good portion of the back panel out (dremels are fun!), and have tried my hand at retrofitting a plate from an old Dell Tower I had laying around. Now I am at the point where I need to figure out how to mount my standoffs. Can anyone give me some advice on a good way to do this? I'd prefer to use some of the old standoffs that came with it, as they are the right height, but I'm not sure of the method with which to attach one to the other. As it will be standing, vibrating, and getting hot, I don't want my investment to fall off of it's standoffs.

Help a newb out! =)

this forum doesnt support amd cpus
faq.php#f0r1

seeing as you are mainly looking for info on the g5 casemod, ill move this to the customisation forum.

people use jbweld to mount the original standoffs

So does that mean that AMD doesn't work with Mac, or that it's just not supported by this particular message board?

the latter.

i wouldnt recommend using mac on an amd system.
you have to use a patched kernel, every update youve got to wait for an update specific patched kernel to come out etc, its not an enjoyable experience.

if its something you want to do, look at the insanelymac forums.
none of the tools or methods on this site will help you, but i wish you luck on your g5 case mod, and look forward to seeing some pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back