Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RTX 3060 Ti
Hello, I am a complete noobi when it comes to G5 conversion or PC building in general.

I got a good deal for a G5 case on ebay and I thought to myself that it would be cool if I converted it. So bought a kit and started to assemble. I am almost finished but now I am standing in front of the question how do I connect the powerbutton/USB and headphone jack of the original case to my motherboard and just for fun if it is possible to connect the DVD reader to my Crosshair VII Hero motherboard.

Hello, I am a complete noobi when it comes to g5 conversion or pc building in general.

I got a good deal for a g5 case on ebay and I thought to myself that it would be cool if I converted it. So bought a kit and started to assemble. I am almost finished but now I am standing in front of the question how do I connect the powerbutton/usb und headphone jack of the original case to my motherboard and just for fun if it is possible to connect the DVD reader to my crosshair VII hero motherboard.
your other issue is your unsupported Nvidia card....

Do you mean my graphics card ? (I want to run Windows)

Hello, I am a complete noobi when it comes to G5 conversion or PC building in general.
I moved your post to this (PowerMac G5) forum section because here you can find all the information you'll need.

You need to either do the wiring yourself or buy a premade adapter cable. I used the cable from http://g5atxcables.weebly.com/g5-atx-adapter-cables.html, who supports both types of IO boards you will find in the G5. The G5 had a slightly front IO refresh around 2005 where it changed connector type, so you will need the different cable for that. Previously this was really hard to do, but nowadays it's also just a cable connection if you use the adapter. The cable enables all front IO functionality, except for automatic switching to the headphone jack (it still works but needs manual selection) and no FireWire (because we don't have FW on modern motherboards anymore).

As for the question about the DVD, this is unrelated to the G5 case itself if I understand your question correctly. If you want to use the original G5 DVD reader, then no, it's IDE whilst we use SATA. Adapters might be possible but this is nonsense in 2023. However, you can swap the DVD unit for any SATA-based internal DVD reader and it'll work correctly with the front door opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back