N/A
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I'm interested in starting a G5 case mod. Nothing exciting, but I plan on using one of these pre-made cables for the front panel:

http://g5atxcables.weebly.com/g5-atx-adapter-cables.html

Because I feel this will save me a headache. In the description though it explains that motherboards that do not come with firewire natively require a ground jumper to allow the front panel to operate without the firewire port active..

As the GA-Z77-DS3H doesn't include firewire as a standard port I am planning on getting a PCI card, but I assume I can't hook the front panel up to work from a PCI card?

Also. They mention the front panel sound does not work with some GA Z77 motherboards unless a "jumper" is used. I'm not experienced enough with computers to understand exactly what this means. Would someone be able to explain from the link to the pre-made front panel cable what exactly the audio jumper is required for and would I need one fora DS3H motherboard?

Thanks! :mrgreen:

FireWire -
Use this card or just run the FW gnd wire to any motherboard ground.
SYBA SD-PEX30009 Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B Firewire Controller Card

Front Audio -

Check this post. It's what worked for me.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-...el-audio-jack-alohacabs-cable.html#post549967

Cheers!
So to get the front panel to work I need to get the SYBA SD-PEX30009 Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B Firewire Controller Card that will take care of all the ports or is that just for the FireWire? I don't think I need audio coming from the g5 if I have it connected to my tv via HDMI

The syba card is only useful if you have the AlohaCab or blackCH cable. The front panel is grounded thru the FireWire, that's why it's required. I've purchased two of the cables. Best money you'll spend on the G5 build.

I'm still not getting why I need it. Is this needed for the power button or USB in the front panel

Thanks, do you think I'll need to order the audio jumper for a Z77-DS3H motherboard?

If I order one with the audio jumper, could it be removed if I find it isn't required?

Thanks

The front panel needs a ground. Apple designed the PCB to ground through the Firewire connection on the G5 Logic Board. You either have to have a completed firewire circuit using the pre-modded cable and a firewire header (either on your motherboard or the Syba card), or somehow wire your own using a ground pin on the motherboard. The pre0-modded cable will also provide the required connections for USB and Audio, but those have nothing to do with the grounding of the panel.

Like I stated earlier, I've purchased two of the cables from AlohaCab on the Insanelymac forum. Excellent workmanship and a clean plug n play solution to wiring the front panel to the motherboard with full functionality.

The front panel needs a ground. Apple designed the PCB to ground through the Firewire connection on the G5 Logic Board. You either have to have a completed firewire circuit using the pre-modded cable and a firewire header (either on your motherboard or the Syba card), or somehow wire your own using a ground pin on the motherboard. The pre0-modded cable will also provide the required connections for USB and Audio, but those have nothing to do with the grounding of the panel.

Like I stated earlier, I've purchased two of the cables from AlohaCab on the Insanelymac forum. Excellent workmanship and a clean plug n play solution to wiring the front panel to the motherboard with full functionality.

Thank you. I'm likely to be buying one soon. Which PCI cards would be compatible in adding firewire connections and hooking up the front panel connector from the pre-modded cable?

My audio question is regarding the use of an audio jumper cable, which as I understand some motherboards require in order to use the G5 front panel audio jack? I'm not sure if the Z77-DS3H will require one, so I'[m wondering if I order one with/without and I find I require one or do not require one how easy is it to add/remove myself from the pre-modded cable?

Thanks

Thanks, do you think I'll need to order the audio jumper for a Z77-DS3H motherboard?

If I order one with the audio jumper, could it be removed if I find it isn't required?

Thanks

I'm not sure. Probably wouldn't hurt as the cost is minimal. I made my own, but I've got an assortment of pre-crimped cables and housings here at my disposal. Maybe you do, too, I'm not sure. The only way you'll know for sure if you're Audio header will need re-wiring is by trying it with a pair of earbuds or headphones plugged into the front panel jack.

The difficult part of the process is modifying the AppleHDA.kext to recognize the front panel audio to match your sound chipset. You'll have some fun with that, I know I did. Once it works though, its nice to have the front panel jack for watching vids or listening to music while the wife and kids are asleep.

Regards.

Hey i just ordered the AlohaCab cable now i need to know if the syba card is required or is that just if i want the aduio jacak working in front panel? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back