Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After lurking for several months and browsing several different forums for ideas, I have decided to start my own g5 mod.

I picked up a Dual CPU 2.7ghz G5 a couple of months ago for the bargain price of 100NZD. The computer had suffered from the dreaded coolant leakage that has plagued this model. The logic board, psu and cpu's were completely trashed. However, the case itself had very minor damage. I was also able to salvage 4.5GB of DDR RAM and the GPU which have been re-purposed.

So far I have completely emptied the case and cleaned it up (also had a bit of fun with the corroded PSU and a sledgehammer :p ). I am currently in the planning stages of the build and am keen for suggestions.

I have seen several mods which have sacrificed functionality to maintain the stock rear of the G5. Although they are amazing mods I would prefer to fully utilize my motherboard and also not have to deal with cable extenders. In saying that I still want it to look as stock as possible. Because of this I am planning to base it on MrBean_Oz's Project Bad Apple mod http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1074089. However, I will simplify his design and not include a hot-swappable drive bay.

I plan to use a micro-ATX motherboard tray from an old...shudder.... Dell.
I know that most people would try to use an aluminium motherboard tray; however, they are impossible to buy in New Zealand and I really can't justify the cost of buying a whole donor case. Because of this I plan to use automobile metallic spray paint to repaint the motherboard tray. This will hopefully make it somewhat resemble aluminium and blend in with the rest of the case.

I also plan to use some of the existing g5 standoffs to mount my motherboard tray. Like MrBean_Oz, I will fabricate my own aluminium backplate. Unlike him however, I will make mine from a piece of 1.5mm alu sheet that I purchased from a sheet metal supplier. I will brush the aluminium myself using a fine grit sandpaper (I have tried this method of making brushed aluminium before on a friend's PC mod and it worked surprisingly well). I was originally planning to get it water-jet cut, however, it worked out to be too expensive. Instead I plan to use my neighbour's table saw, a dremel and a jigsaw with a fine toothed blade to cut the backplate.

I plan to maintain the current layout of the upper shelf. I will reuse the DVD drive that came with the case and the existing HDD brackets. I have rewired the fan module with a molex plug and lowered the voltage. I am planning on mounting the PSU at the bottom of my case and fabricating a bracket for it. I will also make an extension cable that goe to the rear of the case.

I really want to reuse the existing rear fan grills in my mod, however, I am unsure whether to have 1 or 2 rear fans. What do you guys think?

I will post some picture of the things I have done so far later.

Any feedback on my plans would be most appreciated :D

Disassembly

G5 with LCS module removed.

LCS Module

Well doesn't this look safe? Somehow I don't think I will be reusing the PSU :lol:

This is the only visible damage to the case as a result of the coolant leak. I should be able to clean this up with a baking soda solution and an abrasive pad.

The case completely stripped.

Rewiring of Fans

I attached molex connectors to 2 of the fan modules. I decided not to reuse the other two.

Motherboard Tray

Motherboard tray resting in case

This motherboard tray was taken from an old Dell Dimension 3000. I plan on repainting it with metallic aluminium spraypaint.

Mockup of Design

This is an MDF mockup of my backplate. I made it using my college's laser cutter. It fits perfectly but I am unsure whether I want to have 2 fans. I will probably use this as a template for cutting my aluminium sheet.

This is a mockup of what the backplate will look like. Photoshopping is not one of my greatest skills :D

Excellent!!! Looks like you've got your act together with this build . I went through the one fan/two fan thing with my build and ended up just using one . Couldn't get 2 to fit right in the case given how I wanted to do the back. If you can find one , a 120mm fan and grille from a Mac Pro might go in . Anyway , for me at least , the single 92mm fan works fine as regards cooling.

How difficult did you find it to cut the fan grill in half? Did you reuse the existing plastic fan housing?
I am thinking it may just be easier to use both fans and move my psu plug off center to make them fit.

Finboss said:
I am thinking it may just be easier to use both fans and move my psu plug off center to make them fit.

Mounting a PSU plug off centre to mount two larger fans is quite possible and, if you are using a new backplate to cover up holes anyway, then this of course works fine from the outside.

Remember though that the original plug comes as part of the original PSU housing, so if you change the plug position then - if you want to re-use the rest of that original housing - you need to snip the original plug out and make room for your extra fan and use a new screw mount plug in the new position. It's not difficult to do as the finishing plate above the PSU housing will cover up any cuts you make and the bottom fan also help to keep air flowing through the PSU housing as well as the main case area. For example:

P9120111.JPG

The picture shows my arrangement with twin 120mm fans and the way I did it did need some extra case mod.s to re-shape the lower edge as I did not want to alter the top shelf of the G5 and wanted to keep the original HD holder position.

However, if you want to keep both the original size fans (92mm?) you can, with an mATX board, either (a) move the board up and cut the top shelf or (b) move the PSU plug as mentioned without needing to do any extra external case re-shaping.

Attachments

• P9120111.JPG
    P9120111.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 1,404
Finboss said:
How difficult did you find it to cut the fan grill in half? Did you reuse the existing plastic fan housing?

Cutting the grille is no big deal , it's plastic . I cut it on my bandsaw but a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade would work just fine . The factory fans didn't come with my case , so I mounted an aftermarket fan by drilling holes in the grille and using rubber mounts . The plug location move seems to be a good way out if you want to keep the 2 fans , though .

I really like the look of minihack's rear panel setup so I think that I will keep the dual rear fan setup. I wanted to have 2 intake fans so I sort of need 2 exhaust fans for optimal air pressure. I wasn't planning on reusing the original g5 AC plug anyway, so I shouldn't have any problem moving the new plug off center. It just means I have to laser cut a new template.

SWEET! Just scored a 23 inch Apple Cinema Display :headbang: .The guy I bought the g5 from had one spare and is happy to sell it to me for 150NZD. I know its kinda old and I could get a brand new LCD monitor for about $250 but it just wouldn't be the same.

i use the 20 inch model (if youre on about the aluminium model) and its a great monitor.

sold my much newer 22" screen when i bought the acd, the 22" just didnt compare

Yeah its the 23 inch aluminium with 1920 × 1200 resolution. Good to know that it beats more modern screens.
I am a bit disappointed that it doesn't handle HDCP. Doesn't really matter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back