Contribute
Register

G5 Case Mod — GA H370M D3H GSM — i5-8500 — RX580 Pulse 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s plugged in and nothing is happening.
Any lights on the board at all ? Did the Dell 250W work with this board ? If so this should work.
The fans on the Gigabyte 570 also don't spin up until you are drawing enough power to make it hot enough for them to spin up.

Are there settings that should be enabled?.
I would leave all the ASPM settings disabled. They are all about powering things down to save energy when enabled.

I’m stumped. I did the paper clip test and the fan started spinning. But when I plug it into the G5 I get nothing. The Fenvi card lights up so there must be power.

But when I plug it into the G5 I get nothing.
The PSU fan won't spin up until you are drawing more power than just at idle. Can you boot up macOS ?

So I shorted the power pins on the board and she started up, macOS has loaded intermittently. Most of the time it gets 3/4 of progress bar filled then just shuts down. But I got to the desktop twice.

Most of the time it gets 3/4 of progress bar filled then just shuts down. But I got to the desktop twice.
Try the EVGA PSU on the Dell motherboard and see if it boots up normally.

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.09.41 PM.png

Bingo!. After much head scratching, I finally decided to pull the Kingspec NE-128 from my Dell 9020 and plugged it in. This disk Only has the macOS, the efi and clover are installed on a SATA HDD. This allowed me to boot from NVMe on a Haswell. In another image I posted here you can see that the disk is probably damaged. I placed a copy of the EFI folder I kept separate from the HP, to the Kingspec and all is well. Just some tidying up to do!. Note to self, make sure to use passive DP to HDMI cables, not active.

94D38AAA-A0DC-4293-9CB9-9BF1FD222C82.jpeg

Last edited:
Considering I paid the same price for a new Gigabyte RX570 as I did for a refurbished MSI RX560, I got quite a performance boost for free!. Consistently over 60 FPS is what I wanted for this build and that's what I got, very happy.

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 8.37.11 AM.png

Consistently over 60 FPS is what I wanted for this build and that's what I got
Glad you finally reached that goal. This is why the RX570 is the current 1080p gaming king. Has the best price/performance ratio of pretty much any graphics card. Having native macOS support doesn't hurt either. :)

Glad you finally reached that goal. This is why the RX570 is the current 1080p gaming king. Has the best price/performance ratio of pretty much any graphics card. Having native macOS support doesn't hurt either. :)

What I'm wondering now trs96 is which equivalent Mac I have built?. Your golden build the 4K Dell Optimac with RX570 was given system definition 14,2, late 2014 27" 5K Retina iMac. This build uses system definition 2017 iMac Pro, even though the build is closer to base 2019 Retina iMac, have you noticed they all have fusion drives?. But the most amazing thing is how much I saved, I will do a proper tally later, but I'm sure I spent under a third of the price Apple charges for the base 2019 iMac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back