Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Gryphon
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
Nvidia Quadro K600
Hi, So i know how a many of you are modifying a G5 as a first time DIY project, This can be great.
However, It occured to me that many more of you will require a lot more input.
In cutting the old case to ATX specs there is plenty to think about. I personally like to get it as simple as possible, to retain the genuine mac effect. So You will be able to see how mine has reused the rear exhaust fan housing and HDD tray, While retaining the mATX form-factor.

The G5 I have at my disposal is an old family computer, modified with my fathers permission, All i really needed was a few background ideas from other forum members before i knew which direction the modification would go in.

The case was to retain most of the case parts, like the old Drive-Bay and Fan-Grill. while including new features like the PSU-mount.

The Aluminium Micro-ATX Lian Li Replacement Motherboard Tray - PC-V351
is the number-one requirement for this case mod, and came from performance-pcs

The next requirement is based on if either you have access to a modern lazer cutter facility or if you feel you could use some help.
I am now ready to help in some respects. In any case Reply Here.. and try and get my attention. I think there is a definite possibility that if you personal message me and you are patient and personal then there will be no problems in me sending out back panels and mixed hardware.
In any case make requests for more detailed instructions if you feel there is something more to it.

Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 1.05.27 pm.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-24 at 1.07.05 pm.png

The main tools, once you have the mobo tray and back panel, Are as follows: Dremel, Battery Drill and a rivet gun.

Your choice of either rivet or socket head hardware..
rivet gun, counter sunk rivets, 1/8th drill bit
-OR-
6/32 tap, 6/32 socket heads, 3mm drill bit

Also.. you may require the new bolts for the old fan grill which will be reused.
2.5mm socket heads, definitely an option.

Download the file if you are CAD literate and give it your inspection.
I am sure if you like the look of this case you could easily make yours just the same.

View attachment Hole-Arrangement.dwg.zip

View attachment G5-MODIFIED BACKPANEL - flat.dwg.zip

View attachment G5 Back Panel.pdf

View attachment G5 hole arrangement.pdf

-NOTE: I HAVE PLACED THE FILE INTO TWO PARTS TO MAKE THE OUTLINE SEPARATE FROM THE HIDDEN LAYER. THIS TO HELP THOSE THAT FEEL THEY NEED SOME LICENSE IN MODIFYING MY WORK.
FEEL FREE TO TAKE THE HIDDEN LAYER (name: hole arrangement) AS AN OPEN SOURCE, FREE TO CONTROL, AND SEE THE OUTLINE FILE (name:G5-modified backpanel) AS BEING UNDER MY ARTISTIC LICENSE, PURELY TO PREVENT OTHERS PROFITING FROM THIS WORK.

Attachments

• PICT0473.JPG
    PICT0473.JPG
    792.7 KB · Views: 1,525
  • PICT0477.JPG
    PICT0477.JPG
    580.5 KB · Views: 1,025
Last edited:
Very cool, thanks.

Here's a PDF for those without access to autocad

Attachments

• G5 Back.pdf
    231.7 KB · Views: 521
Thanks rehpotsirhc
Sure could have used that a while back.:banghead:
If another case should fall in my lap I'm ready.:rolleyes:
Thanks.

So, what do you think! without seeing it do you like the fan grills. and the hdd location?
The dual 92 fan grill could be a killer if it just had a watercooler available.

I suppose i will have to take you through the modifcation list. a bunch of pics on the cuts made should do it.

So, what do you think! without seeing it do you like the fan grills. and the hdd location?
The dual 92 fan grill could be a killer if it just had a watercooler available.

I suppose i will have to take you through the modifcation list. a bunch of pics on the cuts made should do it.

That's a good spot for the HDDs if you want to use the original G5 HDD mount. There is also plenty of space in the bottom of the case.

There are dual 92mm radiators out there if you plan on building a custom loop but you'd have to see if the fan spacing would line up to the factory G5 spacing http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=336&products_id=40664

Other options would be to make the back panel with a single 120mm fan mount and use a 120mm radiator or just mount a larger radiator in the front. The front can accommodate up to a single 180mm or dual 140mm easily.

For Anyone Interested.
--There is now an Updated Revision of my Back-Panel Available up top.--
this revision fixes the fan-grill mounting and provide more practical clearances.

In All Good Faith, I will soon be making available the very same Back-Panel in aluminium.
all included with hardware, instructions and cut template.

Stay tuned!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back