Not open for further replies.

d2a

Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks - been revisiting my old G5 case with a view to tidying up a few things. I first put it together in 2008 and have used it non-stop since, but have taken a bit of time off to try and finish it off properly, with a view to an mobo and cpu upgrade some time next year.

I decided on a full ATX but didn't want to mess with the drive caddy or shelf, so my approach was to extend the PCI slot section down, cut out the original I/O, cut down to access the ATX i/o, remove the twin fans, and cut a new fan hole, to reuse one original vent. diagram below may make more sense. I've used sheriff's original DXF as the basis for the diagram (huge thanks for that). orange circles are the location of the original fans.

backplate_scale.png

Now i'd like to fill those holes. Ideally i'd like to get some aluminium machined for the two small sections, complete with perforations, and then have a second back plate to hold them in place, in conjunction with the original fan screws. does anyone have any experience of commissioning such things in the UK, and can anyone recommend someone? alternatively, does anyone have any other bright ideas for tidying up my backplate?

many thanks

For my last G5 mod I cut my backplate out of another damaged G5 case that I got cheap, it turned out alright... well alright for my first attempt

Attachments

• IMG_20130824_045748.jpg
    IMG_20130824_045748.jpg
    938.1 KB · Views: 279
All good suggestions - thanks for those and for the info about laserhive.

I've been working on my layouts and matching up the hole patterns. For my reference, it seems like the holes are somewhere between 3 and 3.04mm in diameter and are spaced 6.24mm from centre to centre in horizontal rows. rows are spaced 5.774mm from centre to centre, with an intermediate row offset by 3.12mm horizontally and 2.887mm vertically.

i'm investigating local cnc shops that could machine a one-off to my design, but in the mean time i'm going to try drilling a prototype by hand based on the hole layout above.

i'm also looking into lasermaster, who reckon that they can laser perforations without distortion, but the price may be too high...

anyway, that's where i'm at. If the prototyping works i'll confirm the dimensions above.

All good suggestions - thanks for those and for the info about laserhive.

I've been working on my layouts and matching up the hole patterns. For my reference, it seems like the holes are somewhere between 3 and 3.04mm in diameter and are spaced 6.24mm from centre to centre in horizontal rows. rows are spaced 5.774mm from centre to centre, with an intermediate row offset by 3.12mm horizontally and 2.887mm vertically.

i'm investigating local cnc shops that could machine a one-off to my design, but in the mean time i'm going to try drilling a prototype by hand based on the hole layout above.

i'm also looking into lasermaster, who reckon that they can laser perforations without distortion, but the price may be too high...

anyway, that's where i'm at. If the prototyping works i'll confirm the dimensions above.

You are right about the dimensions 3mm holes, 6.25 and 5.8mm is close enough by the way.

The cheapest way to get the material is probably to use off cuts from an old G5. I have some offcuts I don't need from an old scrap case that is hanging around....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back