Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Update: Changed the case from Define Mini to R4, and added a Corsair H80i for additional cooling. Mainly concerned about the noise production and if I have chosen a correct PSU to support SLI in the future.

I'm planning to build a Gaming Hackintosh build and would like be able to add a second GTX 760 later on when I can pick one up for a better price. Using the buyer's guide and other sources I have compiled a build. Will all components (with room for SLI in the future) fit in this build, and do I need to invest in additional cooling? If the Defini Mini is too small of would lead to cooling issues I would upgrade to the Define R4, but I prefer a smaller case.

The machine will run on Windows for gaming, and OSX mostly for office applications. Is it correct that SLI doesn't work with Mavericks?

Processor: Intel Core i5 4670k
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 760 (x2 in the future)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini » Fractal R4 Define
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M
SSD (x2): Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Cooling: Corsair H80i

I already own a monitor (Asus MX279H) and will take a look at KB/M and other peripherals later on.

I'm planning to build a Gaming Hackintosh build and would like be able to add a second GTX 760 later on when I can pick one up for a better price. Using the buyer's guide and other sources I have compiled a build. Will all components (with room for SLI in the future) fit in this build, and do I need to invest in additional cooling? If the Defini Mini is too small of would lead to cooling issues I would upgrade to the Define R4, but I prefer a smaller case.

The machine will run on Windows for gaming, and OSX mostly for office applications. Is it correct that SLI doesn't work with Mavericks?

Processor: Intel Core i5 4670k
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 760 (x2 in the future)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M
SSD (x2): Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I already own a monitor (Asus MX279H) and will take a look at KB/M and other peripherals later on.

I have had one of the Fractal Minis for some two years now and all I can say is that they really
got the name wrong. There is nothing I'd call Mini about the whole case. It's not something you
can put on your desk or take to Lan parties or whatever. It's very heavy gauge steel and quiet,
is what I like about it. Feels more like a mid-tower than a mATX case. If you put two 760's in it
there wouldn't be much room for any other cards in the remaining PCIe slots. I would use
something other than the Intel cooler for the 4670K. Look for some options in the Buyer's guide
that will be good enough if you over clock. I've had no cooling issues with the "mini" but I've
never gamed with it or overclocked the cpu so I can't say if it would work for you. I opt for
silence more than high air flow. It's a great case and I like it a lot but I wouldn't consider it
a gaming case. The R4 actually uses thinner steel in some areas in my 2013 model. It also has
more options for radiator placement if you want liquid cooling. I would make that my first choice
for a gaming build if the PC was to just stay in one place all the time. I've got the windowed
version and it looks really nice. Other than that your hardware choices look great. Should
perform really well for you. No, SLI will not work in Mavericks but wouldn't you be using Windows
for gaming anyway ?

Thanks for your response and sorry for the late reply. SLI not working in Mavericks won't be a problem, but would have been a nice bonus. ;)

I'll change my build to a setup with the Fractal R4 and a Corsair H80i for improved cooling.

Its not that "SLi" dosn't work, its that SLi is a windows only tech. In OSX games can fully utilize both GFX card or more if they are writen to do so, problem is no devs have bothered to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back