Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone.

So I followed Neilhart's guide for creating a fusion drive on my hackintosh. Works great! http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ion-drive-using-tonymacx86-tools-chimera.html

Now that there's a Chameleon fix for the iMessage issue I'm looking to update from Chimera to Chameleon on this Fusion Drive set. Here's the question - what's the right way to go about doing this?

Should I:
*Install Chameleon using it's installer like normal? I feel like this wont put the proper files in the right places on the fusion pair though.
or
*Extract the i386 folder from the Chameleon package, then following the guide as before perform these functions?
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk0 [enter]
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk1 [enter]

Mount each Boot partition and do this:
cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
cp -R Extra /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

Using a Fusion Drive, does the /Extra folder ever even get read on this drive or is it only read on the Boot partition of whatever drive is selected for boot?

Thanks for any feedback. I probably answered my own question, but here's another - will the Chimera installer (and/or Chameleon) ever be smart enough to perform these actions on a fusion drive? I dont update boot loaders often so I guess it doen't matter too much as long as the process is documented fairly well.

-Melt

Wow, did I post this in the wrong forum?

I hoped to get the input of at least one seasoned veteran.

Wow, did I post this in the wrong forum?

I hoped to get the input of at least one seasoned veteran.

Follow your suggestion #2. I was able to boot no problem with that method. Using the installer will only put files under the root of your fused system, and not the Boot OS X partition.

However, the chameleon fix did not work for me, so be prepared. I think it has to do with the nvram.dylib attempting to read from the fused disk fused drives and not in the actual Boot OS X partition. Although, I have NO idea how these things work. I copied and pasted the generated nvram.plist to the Boot OS X partition but could never get it to work properly.

I finally gave up and destroyed my fusion drive and reverted back to an SSD boot volume with an HDD Users drive. Truth be told, I get better performance that way anyway.

Good luck, hope you get it working!

I was successful.

What I did:
First, mount both "Boot OS X" volumes one at a time, went to /Extra and edited the org.chameleon.Boot.plist and removed this bit from both "rd=uuid boot-uuid=97D18662-8A64-42C9-A48E-0CC8CD419E7E"

After that, copy the Chameleon boot file to both from the i386 folder of Chameleon's pkg (like the Fusion Drive guide thread).
cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/

Then fdisk the Chameleon boot0 to both disks that make up the fusion drive
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk0 [enter]
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk1 [enter]

I then copied the Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib to both boot partitions as well
Unmount the "Boot OS X" volumes, you're done with them.

Then, on the fusion disk itself make an /Extra folder if there isn't one and copy the modules/FileNVRAM.dylib to that as well.

Reboot and Chameleon should auto generate the nvram.plist on the fusion drive.

Now sign into iMessage on your fusion disk.

Now, I'm not sure whether you need the modules folder on the boot os x volumes or if Chameleon is looking on the Fusion disk for /Extra/modules/FileNVRAM.dylib. I know for a fact Chameleon is creating and looking for the nvram.plist there. It's probably good house keeping to keep the /Extra folder identical on both "Boot OS X" volumes and the Fusion Drive itself honestly.

Since I'm signed in I dont really feel like testing what files are being looked for where, but someone else may want to pick up where I left off for better understanding.

Enjoy~

Hi meltman,

Thank you so much - I'm also using a FusionDrive and was also unsure how to fix the iMessage problem - I've followed your instructions and now it's working flawlessly - GREAT!

Great!! It worked also for me on my fusion drive.. Now Mac OSX 10.8.2 whit imessage working and dictation working.

Very important passage is to remove "rd=uuid boot-uuid=xxxxxxx" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Hi everyone!

I try to fix my imessage problem while using a fusion drive. Happily I found this thread but sadly I can´t get it :(
Could you please help me with a real basic step by step guide?

Would be awesome!!
Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back