Graphics
GeForce GTX 460 2 GB vRAM
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I tried to have this answered on the Fusion board, but when they figured out I had a Hackintosh, they declined to help. Hoping for some insight here.

I built my Hackintosh on a separate physical HD in the same box as my Windows 7 PC. Everything is working great with the Hackintosh, but I can't boot to the Windows 7 drive without toggling the option in the BIOS from AHCI to disabled. Kind of a nuisance.

So I decided that I want to use Fusion to migrate my PC to a VM on the Hackintosh.

Fusion says that I have to have both computers powered on and on the same network to migrate.

This isn't possible with two physical drives in the same box.

My PC has 3 partions, one for the OS, one where I install programs and one for data. Not sure if this complicates things or not.

So, with all of that background, my question is:

1) Can I work around this by having Fusion's migrator do whatever it does on the PC; then pulling those files directly into the Hackintosh, since I can see the Windows drive in Finder?

2) If not, is there a better/different way to do this. I'd really like to migrate the PC, as opposed to starting over, building a new VM and having to reinstall all of my programs.

Thanks for any help.

--Joey Numbaz

That looks promising, thanks!

Would still like to work out the migration to VM as well, but if I can't, hopefully this makes switching between the two easier.

First, you need to do the regedit to the windows 7 install (if your lazy click the guy with the wrench while booted to your windows 7 installation with this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/en-us)

Also there no need to use migrate with vmware fusion 3. It will automatically detect the windows 7 HDD as "boot camp" and you will be able to run Windows 7 with vmware fusion 3 while booted in osx.

Very cool, thanks!

Just to follow up, both of these worked; the regedit fixed the AHCI issue and Fusion picked up the Windows HDD, so I'm all set. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back