Contribute
Register

Fun with trying to get this laptop functional!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elitebook 840 G6 (Clover UEFI)
CPU
i5-8365U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey everyone,

So I decided to move on from my aging Alienware M15x and graduate to something newer. I picked up an HP Elitebook 8770w Mobile Workstation laptop and also added some upgrades. In theory, it should be a lot more compatible than my older laptop. But of course, I ran into some trouble. Let me provide a little information about it. First, ze specks!

HP Elitebook 8770w Mobile Workstation --

Intel QM77 Mobile Express Chipset
Intel Core i7-3840QM Mobile Processor (2.8Ghz Base / 3.8Ghz Turbo)
16GB Crucial Balistix Sport DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
nVidia Geforce GTX 970M 6GB GDDR5 Graphics
1x 480GB Seagate 600 SSD (Win10) / 1x 500GB Samsung 850 mSATA SSD (macOS) / 1TB Hitachi 7200RPM HDD (Storage)
Broadcom BCM94532HMB WiFi/BT Combo card
IDT High Definition Audio IDT (92HD80)
Running macOS 10.13.5 on Clover UEFI r4558 (APFS File format)

Now on to what works and what does not:

Video: Not working. Tried enabling through clover and installed the newest nVidia web drivers. Does not boot without nv_disable=1.
Audio: Not working, may need to patch AppleHDA. Need to read the guides on it, but not as important as video now.
Power Management: When generating my own SSDT w/ssdtPRGen, System does not boot properly. Gets stuck on kext Stall[0] error. Started to use generated DSDT.
WiFi: Working. Used the FakePCI kexts. Handoff/Airdrop supported.
Bluetooth: Working. Used the FakePCI/BCRM patch files. Instant Hotspot supported.
Sleep: ? Have not tried due to incomplete Power Management.
Brightness: Does not work. Assuming due to Graphics not working correctly.
Battery: Not working. Tried Rehabman's ACPI Battery Kext and gave ACPI errors on verbose boot.
USB: So far as I can tell working.
Keyboard/Trackpad: So far working.
Camera: Working.
App Store: Working

I have done quite a bit of research and searching for other people that have this laptop does not show anyone with a High Sierra installation. Took a while just to get the settings right to actually install the OS. Used the latest available Clover build (r4558) and followed the Probook guide using the 8x70p profile. After a reboot, does not start. Started up with USB and it boots with nVidia disabled. Audio and others at that point still was not working. I had to reinstall macOS due to it not booting at all when installing all of the repositories and files. This time I decided to do a clean install. Extracted my own DSDT/SSDT, patched and compiled it. When adding the SSDT generated from ssdtPRGen, the system does not boot. I edited the config.plist to enable the Nvidia web drivers but no luck. For now, I am using my DSDT and nVidia disabled. I have tried everything I was able to research how to do. I would like to get at least video and power management working. I have been working on this for a while and maybe I am just missing something. If anyone can provide any insight or help, I would greatly appreciate it. I have attached problem reporting files as necessary. Thanks!

Attachments

• Gotmilk70 8770w.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 330
Last edited:
If you want to use 970m, you need disable you igpu in BIOS.

If you want to use 970m, you need disable you igpu in BIOS.
Thank you for responding. The Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics is hard disabled by the OEM. This machine only uses the dedicated GPU in the MXM slot of the laptop. I would not need to disable the IGPU for this. Please let me know if you have any questions or can offer any other assistance. Thanks!

I’m sorry but I have attached the problem reporting files. I have them as attachments in the bottom of the first post. If I am missing anything please let me know. Thanks!
You are using OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. Your NVRAM will not work. Webdriver will not be loaded. Use AptioMemoryFix.efi instead of it. And nvda_drv=1 is necessary.

Last edited:
You are using OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. Your NVRAM will not work. Webdriver will not be loaded. Use AptioMemoryFix.efi instead of it. And nvda_drv=1 is necessary.
So I tried removing OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi And added aptiomemoryfix and added nvda_drv=1 like you mentioned and it did not boot. See attached photo below. I also tried to boot without nvda_drv=1 and it didn’t work. I tried re adding OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and removing aptiomemoryfix.efi plus putting in nvda_dev=1 and it did not boot. Please let me know if there is anything else I can try. Thanks.

Attachments

• 0ACACDE4-715A-4BD3-B555-5051627B579E.jpeg
    0ACACDE4-715A-4BD3-B555-5051627B579E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 83
So I tried removing OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi And added aptiomemoryfix and added nvda_drv=1 like you mentioned and it did not boot. See attached photo below. I also tried to boot without nvda_drv=1 and it didn’t work. I tried re adding OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi and removing aptiomemoryfix.efi plus putting in nvda_dev=1 and it did not boot. Please let me know if there is anything else I can try. Thanks.
aptiomemoryfix.efi doesn't be removed from your photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back