Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
CPU
i3-540
Graphics
8800GS
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
I completed a G5 case build a couple of months ago and wanted to make sure it was all good before I commented. The components were safe choices as my computing needs are not extreme. Build was GA-H55M-UD2H with i3-540 with included fan, Asus EN8400GS video, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, WD WD5000AVVS SATA, Coolmax 600W PS, Asus 24X DVDRW. Installation was set Bios. iBoot, SN install from disc, 10.6.6 update and Multibeast. It took a bit of fiddling to get audio (correct kext), video (required using DVI to VGA adapter) and networking (Linx2Mac) to work. I also have a 160 GB PATA HD working via the JMicron36xATA kext.

There are a few things in random order that I did differently that might be helpful to others going this route.

First in order to mount the board while keeping the rear panel fan screens usable one must make custom mounts. I used 5/8" #6 machine screws countersunk into 1" fender washers, with a .350" long piece of nylon standoff that is threaded onto the screw, these are screwed into the MB (the edge ones need the fender washers trimmed) and epoxied into the case. Make sure that the screws don't hit either the memory clips or the video card...you may have to trim a screw or two.

Second the wiring pinout for the front case panel's connector is available from the Apple website, look for the G5 service manual. The front panel wiring for the USB, FIrewire and switch/light can be go direct to the MB connectors (I used the original connector cable (which has a .2mm C-C connector) and spliced onto the free end using part of an old USB cable and standard .1' C-C headers. The audio leads are also straight across though the G5 audio sense is not compatible with the MB FAUDIO_JS. I posted a circuit to switch the MB using the front panel line and a fan controller elsewhere. Note: there are two .1" C-C size connectors on the MB, both are used....be aware so you get the correct ones for each location.

Third, you will need to reinforce around the new hole (cut with jigsaw and filed) in the back of the case. I used some aluminum sheet I had on hand and scored/cut my way through with a box cutter. Bending was accomplished using an inexpensive heat duct flange bender that I have had for years. It is held together with #2 x 1/4" machine screws.Note in the picture how far the panel overlaps behind the casework. If anyone wants a picture of the insert, I have one somewhere.

Miscellaneous, the original rear fans were re-installed as were the HD bays using the original power cables and the SATA cables that came with the MB. I used Velcro self-adhesive tape to hold the PS down as well as the drive bay fan and audio/fan controller board. The original Mac HD screws work fine or some #6 x 1/4" with a couple of washers....adjust so the drives don't vibrate. The DVD drive required #4 screws with a couple of washers as the G5 ones caused the tray to hang on the opening case door. The fan temp. sensor can't be mounted right over the video card or it cycles continuously.

I added a third picture that might clarify how I mounted the board and where I spliced the front panel wiring.

Hope this is of some help to others trying to reuse a G5 case.

Hackintosh inner.JPG

Hackintosh back.JPG

Attachments

• Hackintosh inner.JPG
    Hackintosh inner.JPG
    908.5 KB · Views: 1,964
  • Hackintosh back.JPG
    Hackintosh back.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,078
  • Hackintosh in process.JPG
    Hackintosh in process.JPG
    675.2 KB · Views: 786
Nice work! I hope I come across one of these bad boys one day

Maybe you should try to put the power supply into the case of G5's power supply.
You must install only the board of your PSU in order to fit, and it will give you a nice and clean look inside your case.
This is what I did in mine and also had room to install a small amplifier board to drive two speakers (installed also inside the case). :cool:

Judah said:
Thanks for the tip on the front panel stuff, I have seen pinouts for power and LED but nothing on USB!

There are a lot of pinouts for the USB and the Firewire. And they work. At least for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back