Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P5Q Deluxe
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Graphics
GeForce GT 730
Hi. I have Asus P5Q-Deluxe with Gigabyte 9600GT. When Mac OS X starts, the grey area with logo is not covering whole screen and aspect ratio is incorrect. When system kicks in everything works OK. Setting Graphic Mode to 1920x1200x32 doesn't help. Can that be fixed or is it the motherboard fault because it cannot handle bigger resolutions by itself.

This has to do with the GPUs firmware and in general can't be easily fixed.

Can be fixed by patching/flashing your VBIOS to force a certain VESA mode mode. There's a tutorial link somewhere floating I dunno, but it's because your graphics' VESA mode is fixed at 1 mode (e.g. 640*480*16), that's why it doesn't stretch out and go full resolution.

Flashing may be risky if you don't know what you're doing, so avoid it if you don't want to wreck your card.

Another method around the internet is changing the image files for your bootloader's theme, so that it doesn't look stretch and gives the appearance that the bootloader is running at full resolution.

If you require a link for the former I will provide one once I find it, otherwise, that's all I can say really.

Thank you for your answers. This is not very important issue and I don't fell confident enough to edit VBIOS. But if you find links to fix with bootloader I will give them a try.

Hi. I have Asus P5Q-Deluxe with Gigabyte 9600GT. When Mac OS X starts, the grey area with logo is not covering whole screen and aspect ratio is incorrect. When system kicks in everything works OK. Setting Graphic Mode to 1920x1200x32 doesn't help. Can that be fixed or is it the motherboard fault because it cannot handle bigger resolutions by itself.

do you have the correct settings in your Chameleon boot file? It should be Graphics Mode, not Graphic Mode

Code:
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1920x1200x32</string>

since the aspect ratio will still be off, you need to correct it in the theme, like in the one i'm attaching.

Attachments

• Pefault.zip
    187.8 KB · Views: 551
Unfortunately I have "Graphics Mode". I hoped that there will be a typo but no luck there ;) I don't use bootloader theme, even Chameleon is hidden (Quiet Boot = Yes with no timeout). The problem occurs when OS X is booting, there is, for about 5 seconds, Apple logo and spinner and after that desktop is loaded. I don't think that any theme could force full screen. Incorrect AR doesn't bother me so I guess it has to be that way.

Unfortunately I have "Graphics Mode". I hoped that there will be a typo but no luck there ;) I don't use bootloader theme, even Chameleon is hidden (Quiet Boot = Yes with no timeout). The problem occurs when OS X is booting, there is, for about 5 seconds, Apple logo and spinner and after that desktop is loaded. I don't think that any theme could force full screen. Incorrect AR doesn't bother me so I guess it has to be that way.

Unfortunately, the link down below is mainly for ATI cards, there might be a similar method of patching your VBIOS but I wouldn't risk it.
How to set your Hackintosh bootscreen to a widescreen resolution (VESA modes)

This will fix things.. I haven't actually done it yet because 1, I use my integrated card to boot, and 2, there really isn't a point since it's just booting anyway.. yes I looks ridiculous but.. "whatever".

This link below will explain how you resize images so that they don't appear to be stretched, making it look like your bootloader has the correct aspect ratio. Purely cosmetic.
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,237.0.html

enjoy!

Thank you DaviDemon. Editing VBIOS is tempting and maybe I'll give it a try. I already edited my bios and ethernet eeprom so why not VBIOS. With that I will have fully working OS X without any difference to Mac computer.

I added my resolution to VESA table and patched VBIOS but unfortunately this is not enough. There is a 1280x1024 resolution limit for Nvidia cards that are connected via DVI or HDMI. So my adventure with fixing boot screen ends here. I changed resolution in Chameleon to 1280x800 and now Apple logo is not stretched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back