Contribute
Register

Full range of brightness using ACPIBacklight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong, but I believe the EDID injection is essentially a DSDT patch. The other ones in fact are not necessary for reaching the installer :)

Actually, it uses EFI injection.

Hello.

I lost all the audio features of my HP DM4T-1000 after adding the PNLF device to my DSDT. (Specs: 1st. gen. i5-430M Arrandale, 1st. gen. Intel HD Graphics with patched AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext for QE/CI).

For the sound, I'm using a patched version of AppleHDA.kext and the following code in my DSDT:

Device (HDEF)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0E)
{
"AAPL,slot-name",
Buffer (0x09)
{
"Built In"
},

"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x00
},

"device_type",
Buffer (0x06)
{
"AUDIO"
},

"name",
Buffer (0x0E)
{
"IDT 92HD81B1X"
},

"model",
Buffer (0x24)
{
"IDT 92HD81B1X High Definition Audio"
},

"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

The sound works great with it, even the volume keys on the keyboard, but when I add the code for the PNLF device, in the next reboot I lose all the sound capabilities. The speaker icon go grey just after the login screen and it shows the sound indicator in the lowest level and it cant be moved. When I push the keys for the sound in my keyboard they show the speaker graphic on the screen as if the "mute" key where pushed (I mean with the "forbidden" symbol over the speaker graphic) I can add all the other DSDT codes in this guide, I mean the "_WAK", the "LCD1234" name and the OperatioRegion code, and after reboot the sound works with no problem. It's just after the PNLF thing when the sound dies.

I hope someone could help me with this. By the way, sorry for my English if something is not clear. Greetings from Mexico!!

Hello.

I lost all the audio features of my HP DM4T-1000 after adding the PNLF device to my DSDT. (Specs: 1st. gen. i5-430M Arrandale, 1st. gen. Intel HD Graphics with patched AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext for QE/CI).

For the sound, I'm using a patched version of AppleHDA.kext and the following code in my DSDT:

The sound works great with it, even the volume keys on the keyboard, but when I add the code for the PNLF device, in the next reboot I lose all the sound capabilities. The speaker icon go grey just after the login screen and it shows the sound indicator in the lowest level and it cant be moved. When I push the keys for the sound in my keyboard they show the speaker graphic on the screen as if the "mute" key where pushed (I mean with the "forbidden" symbol over the speaker graphic) I can add all the other DSDT codes in this guide, I mean the "_WAK", the "LCD1234" name and the OperatioRegion code, and after reboot the sound works with no problem. It's just after the PNLF thing when the sound dies.

I hope someone could help me with this. By the way, sorry for my English if something is not clear. Greetings from Mexico!!

Audio is unrelated to PNLF/backlight. You have something else going on (kernel cache issue?).

And you should be doing only this: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
Apply:
"Rename GFX0 to IGPU" (unless you already did this rename)
"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"
install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Also, I have no idea about the applicability of this technique to 1st gen Intel HD graphics. They share the same backlight registers, so it should work...

Audio is unrelated to PNLF/backlight. You have something else going on (kernel cache issue?).

And you should be doing only this: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
Apply:
"Rename GFX0 to IGPU" (unless you already did this rename)
"Brightness Fix (HD3000/HD4000)"
install: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight

Also, I have no idea about the applicability of this technique to 1st gen Intel HD graphics. They share the same backlight registers, so it should work...

Hello. Thanks for your answer!!

I tried your advice few moments ago and the problem remains, in fact I was using your ACPIBacklight kext from the beginning (along with your FakeSMC, your VoodooPS2 and your ACPIBatteryManager). Also I had tried your Brightness Fix for the HD3000/4000 with no luck for my Intel HD Graphics. Now I started with a clean DSDT copy, applied your DSDT patches, both the GFX0 to IGPU (just the GFX0 part, because the VID part causes problems with the WLAN registers) and the Brightness Fix, and as I said before, the problem remains. Just for your records, if it's useful for you, the Brightness Fix put the slide bar in the Display properties in System Preferences, but moving it does not dim the screen in my Intel HD Graphics.

A weird thing is that just adding the PNLF device with no properties as follow:

Scope (_SB)
{
Device (PNLF)
{
}
}
}

it's enough to lose the sound.

Hello. Thanks for your answer!!

I tried your advice few moments ago and the problem remains, in fact I was using your ACPIBacklight kext from the beginning (along with your FakeSMC, your VoodooPS2 and your ACPIBatteryManager). Also I had tried your Brightness Fix for the HD3000/4000 with no luck for my Intel HD Graphics. Now I started with a clean DSDT copy, applied your DSDT patches, both the GFX0 to IGPU (just the GFX0 part, because the VID part causes problems with the WLAN registers) and the Brightness Fix, and as I said before, the problem remains. Just for your records, if it's useful for you, the Brightness Fix put the slide bar in the Display properties in System Preferences, but moving it does not dim the screen in my Intel HD Graphics.

A weird thing is that just adding the PNLF device with no properties as follow:

Scope (_SB)
{
Device (PNLF)
{
}
}
}

it's enough to lose the sound.

Something else is wrong with your install. I suspect a kernel cache issue...

Something else is wrong with your install. I suspect a kernel cache issue...

THANK YOU!, you were right. I don't know how the DSDT.aml file works, but when I add something on it, in the next reboot only the last change works, unless -f -v flags are used on boot with chameleon. Thats why I was getting only the brightness control but losing the audio edit.

Do you know if I can modify your VoodooPS2controller kext in order to get the brightness buttons to work on my HP DM4T-1000?? At the moment I just can adjust the brightness through the System Preferences panel and the Brightness Menulet app. For some reason I think the brightness function originally assigned to F2 and F3 keys are missed somewhere else, because earlier when I was writing a text, accidentally pushed some kind of key combinations and the rising sun graphic appeared on my screen, unfortunately I'm unable to repeat that combination.

THANK YOU!, you were right. I don't know how the DSDT.aml file works, but when I add something on it, in the next reboot only the last change works, unless -f -v flags are used on boot with chameleon. Thats why I was getting only the brightness control but losing the audio edit.

Do you know if I can modify your VoodooPS2controller kext in order to get the brightness buttons to work on my HP DM4T-1000?? At the moment I just can adjust the brightness through the System Preferences panel and the Brightness Menulet app. For some reason I think the brightness function originally assigned to F2 and F3 keys are missed somewhere else, because earlier when I was writing a text, accidentally pushed some kind of key combinations and the rising sun graphic appeared on my screen, unfortunately I'm unable to repeat that combination.

For custom keyboard mapping, see: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Use-Custom-Keyboard-Mapping

This method is preferred over AppleBacklight.kext? For 4530s these patches 12_Brightness.txt and 12a_4x30s_BCL.txt? In PB installer already have ACPIBacklight.kext?
Just DSDT Patcher for HP ProBook 4x30s seris as Brightness patches, it is not clear what to put :)

This method is preferred over AppleBacklight.kext? For 4530s these patches 12_Brightness.txt and 12a_4x30s_BCL.txt? In PB installer already have ACPIBacklight.kext?
Just DSDT Patcher for HP ProBook 4x30s seris as Brightness patches, it is not clear what to put :)

This method is better than using AppleBacklight.kext.

Use the ProBook Installer to patch your DSDT and install ACPIBacklight.kext (part of OS X support kexts).

This method is better than using AppleBacklight.kext.

Use the ProBook Installer to patch your DSDT and install ACPIBacklight.kext (part of OS X support kexts).

RehabMan thanks.
Just / wiki / How-to-patch-your-DSDT has not been updated for a long time. In HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-patch as patches + more added Laptop-DSDT-patch. Eyes run. Patches manually impose. These patches are enough?

4x30s.txt
03a_HDMI.txt
FanPatch-choice
08_AR9285.txt
"12_Brightness.txt - 12a_4x30s_BCL.txt -The main thing these patches to correct the brightness?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back