Contribute
Register

Full range of brightness using ACPIBacklight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess what: now the backlight looks like completely turned off, but I still can see the picture :D
That is normal, it doesn't turn the LCD off.

Not normal to me. When I use display sleep, it just turn black and stay there. If I choose the lowest brightness level, it blinks between black and very low brightness (enough for me to see something on screen). It does not happen with old dsdt patch.

Not normal to me. When I use display sleep, it just turn black and stay there. If I choose the lowest brightness level, it blinks between black and very low brightness (enough for me to see something on screen). It does not happen with old dsdt patch.

Levels may be too low for your screen. Change XRGL to the lowest value your display can handle.

Levels may be too low for your screen. Change XRGL to the lowest value your display can handle.

Set XRGL to Zero fixes the problem. I don't think most laptop can handle One value.

Set XRGL to Zero fixes the problem. I don't think most laptop can handle One value.

No. First make sure you have the latest patches. There was a bug fix to this functionality pushed this morning. See post #169.

What you want to do is set XRGL to the lowest (non-zero) value your display can handle. With it set to zero, it is still possible to set values between zero and the lowest value in _BCL by dragging the slider in SysPrefs->Display.

You can also more accurately experiment using ioio.

Let me know what you come up with for your minimum value.

No. First make sure you have the latest patches. There was a bug fix to this functionality pushed this morning. See post #169.

What you want to do is set XRGL to the lowest (non-zero) value your display can handle. With it set to zero, it is still possible to set values between zero and the lowest value in _BCL by dragging the slider in SysPrefs->Display.

You can also more accurately experiment using ioio.

Let me know what you come up with for your minimum value.

The lowest brightness my screen can handle is 3, with tiny light, and 0 with display off. 1 and 2 cause blinking screen.

I applied the latest patch in Laptop DSDT patch, using MacIASL sources. I notice that XRGL is set to 1 in HD3000/4000, and 0 in Haswell patch.

The lowest brightness my screen can handle is 3, with tiny light, and 0 with display off. 1 and 2 cause blinking screen.

You should set XRGL to 3. If no one else reports a higher "lowest non-zero value", I'll change the patches to use 3 instead of 1.

I applied the latest patch in Laptop DSDT patch, using MacIASL sources. I notice that XRGL is set to 1 in HD3000/4000, and 0 in Haswell patch.

I will fix the Haswell one (eg. set it to one by default). Setting it to 1 or 0 is equivalent.

Also noticed I forgot to remove XOPT in the removal part of the data patch(es).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back