Nvidia 470GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Questions:

These may be simple fixes; I have been out of the loop on the dev stuff for awhile:
  1. My GPU is not showing any resolution options outside of 1024 x 768 & is also showing only 3MB VRAM (one GPU installation method is showing 1024 MB, but not the proper 2 gigs), so the video card's memory is not being properly detected or displayed. The make & model of the card, however, is properly recognized in system info.
  2. Outside of GPU support, I'm getting a POST error during installation of a Real-Time Clock Power Loss, is there an updated RTC Fix to apply? I was able to bypass & install Mojave after a few attempts, but it keeps cancelling out the 10.4.1 update due to this.
Synopsis:

I am working on getting full driver support for the 2GB NVIDIA QUADRO M620 GPU. I am not sure if full driver support is actually available or not (Maxwell-based GPU with GM107 architecture). The particular version of the machine I am using (HP Z2 Mini G3, Xeon option with the M620) enables you to disable the onboard Intel graphics in the BIOS, thus disabling the entire Optimus sub-system (in theory).

Right now, I've got Mojave running successfully on it (supporting NVMe boot, Ethernet, 8-core CPU, Bluetooth, USB 3.0, Audio, etc., apart from Wi-fi, which is a removable Intel 8265NGW...I'll have to swap out for a supported M.2 card at some point), using the latest Unibeast (UEFI boot mode) & the last-gen Multibeast installers - minus full graphics support. At the moment:
  • The graphics are showing up as a 3MB (or 1024 MB...but should be 2048 MB) display running at 1024 x 768 (no scaling options)
  • Screensaver runs fine, Youtube plays smoothly & can go full-screen, Chess works
  • DVD player crashes (even with a USB DVD drive plugged in, tested with a generic data disc)
  • At the moment, display sleep & system sleep simply acts like an invisible screensaver (freezes the screen, as if sleep were enabled, and clicking the mouse wakes it up like normal)
  • Currently using a DisplayPort to HDMI cable to a 1080p monitor
  • The card is successfully detected, just not the proper VRAM & scaling
Core issues:
  • Display resolution options unavailable (set to 1024 x 768)
  • Incorrect VRAM (showing 3 megabytes)
I may just need to edit a plist somewhere (although I tried Clover Configurator & couldn't find anything, nor an /Extras); been out of the loop on the latest bootloaders & drivers for awhile, so if anyone knows of a quick-fix to try that I'm blatantly missing, speak up! Haha. Ideally, I'd like automatic VRAM detection & multiple resolution options by default, of course.

I still have several items on my to-do list:
  • Installation procedure documentation (aka write up a little tutorial guide)
  • If possible, resolve RTC resets during the initial installation (not a show-stopper, just requires hitting enter to reboot & finish the job); right now the 10.4.1 cancels out because of this issue. Is there an RTC fix that I need to apply?
  • Test DP to DP cable
  • Test multiple displays
  • Test system stability
  • Resolve graphics issues (VRAM detection, resolution changes, and anything else required)
Data discussion:

Here's what System Info says:

HP Quadro M620:
Chipset Model: HP Quadro M620
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x13b4
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 1.0

Displays:

Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768 (XGA - eXtended Graphics Array)
UI Looks like: 1024 x 768
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Under PCI devices:

HP Quadro M620:

Name: NVDA,Display-B
Type: Display Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
MSI: No
Bus: PCI
Slot: Slot-1
Vendor ID: 0x10de
Device ID: 0x13b4
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x103c
Subsystem ID: 0x82c0
ROM Revision: 1.0
Revision ID: 0x00a2
Link Width: x16
Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

Here is what I've tried so far:

1. Inject NVIDIA
2. NVIDIA Web Drivers Boot Flag
3. Core Graphics Fixup AKA Whatevergreen
4. NVIDIA's Mac drivers online (won't install from package, due to unsupported OS - I'm assuming because it looks like the last update was for El Capitan) & checked against the downloads here on Tonymac

Windows drivers are available here, for reference:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z2-mini-g3-workstation/12716708

Relevant threads:
Machine in question:

~$1,300 on Provantage:
  • Manufacturer Part# Z2D61UT#ABA
  • Expandable to 32GB RAM (comes with 16GB)
  • Expandable to up to a 2TB NVMe (max currently available)
  • Also has a 2.5" SATA drive power/data connection & cage available (I've tested a 15mm 5TB 2.5" drive successfully)
Note on price: This is a phenomenal deal. Yes, it's expensive, but that's not a bad thing, relative to the specs. This is the top-end business model in the Mini lineup & was selling close to $2,000 when it first launched. It has an 8-core Xeon, 16GB RAM, 500GB NVMe, 2GB M620 Quadro, fairly quiet operation, compact footprint, reasonably low power (the large power brick is rated at 200 watts max, although it typically doesn't get anywhere near that) & comes with a copy of both Windows 7 Pro & Windows 10 Pro.

The catch is no upgradeable GPU (NVMe, 2.5", and RAM are upgradeable, however, which I've tested maxing out, as possible). If OSX's graphics performance is anything like Windows, then despite having 2GB VRAM, the Quadro won't be good for gaming, but for CGI & NLE & other DCC-related stuff, it should be a really nice option (if it works!). So you're pretty much stuck with the baked-in card. I have

GPU in question:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-M620-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.213796.0.html

Technical white paper: (PDF, see pages 16 to 23 for graphics information)

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA6-9550ENW.pdf
  • It uses a combination of "Intel HD Graphics P530" (on the Xeon E3-1245 v5) & a "2GB NVIDIA Quadro M620"
  • Regarding the NVIDIA card, the M-series is typically used in laptops
  • It is a 1st generation Maxwell-based GPU
  • It is built on GM107 architecture
  • The machine has four (4) DisplayPort 1.2 ports
  • The "Performance version" (for DCC) can be setup to use a total of six (6) displays, using both the NVIDIA Quadro & Intel HD graphics simultaneously (4 on the Quadro + 2 on the Intel, using daisy-chaining)
Per the laptop FAQ: (here on Tonymac)

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Q. Is there a way to make Radeon or Nvidia graphics work in my dual-GPU laptop?

Not if the discrete card is not dedicated (eg. tied to the Intel device).

The discrete graphics capability in a switched dual-GPU configuration is not supported with OS X on hacks. Best you can do is disable the discrete part with SSDT/DSDT patches. See the prior question.

If your discrete device (AMD Radeon or Nvidia) is not routed through the Intel GPU, then it is considered dedicated. Some laptops have the internal display connected to the Intel GPU and the external HDMI/DP port connected to the discrete graphics device. It is rare, but in that case you would be able to get the device to work with the external display with proper kexts and correct configuration, much like a dual-GPU desktop setup.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. Per the PDF white paper above:

The performance model comes pre-enabled with only the discrete NVIDIA® Quadro® graphics, however, a BIOS option is provided to allow the system to be configured to use both the NVIDIA® Quadro® GPU and the Intel® HD graphics simultaneously.

I checked the BIOS; under the built-in device options, "Enable Intel graphics on DisplayPort #4" was unchecked. When I clicked on the question mark help button, it says:

When this option is disabled, the DisplayPort port closest to the access panel release latch switches to the Intel integrated graphics device but does not output graphics until the system starts the operating system.

So it appears there's a BIOS gate to prohibit access to the Intel HD Graphics P530, which I'd assume would normally operate under the NVIDIA Optimus GPU switching system, and thus shouldn't even be detected, so bypassing the Optimus system seems doable on this machine, and in practice, I see no mention of any Intel GPU detection in the System Information screen, so it appears to be working as-advertised.

I suspect I can get 1080p resolution set via a config option, I'm just not up to speed on the latest software methods, although I would prefer auto-resolution & auto-VRAM detection. Thoughts?

The Quadro M620 is based on the Maxwell architecture and requires Nvidia web drivers to work under MacOS. Such drivers are not yet available on Mojave, and it may be months before Nvidia releases such drivers.

Lacking such drivers you will not be able to use the M620 fully.

The Quadro M620 is based on the Maxwell architecture and requires Nvidia web drivers to work under MacOS. Such drivers are not yet available on Mojave, and it may be months before Nvidia releases such drivers.

Lacking such drivers you will not be able to use the M620 fully.

Found that out the hard way using Benjamin-Dobell's terminal update script, haha!

Do you know if the M620 is functional on the previous version of OSX? I could always rewind to that for awhile & wait for Mojave GPU drivers to come out. Aside from the wi-fi (which can be replaced), it looks like the GPU is the only major piece missing in my Mojave-HP install so far.

Found that out the hard way using Benjamin-Dobell's terminal update script, haha!

Do you know if the M620 is functional on the previous version of OSX? I could always rewind to that for awhile & wait for Mojave GPU drivers to come out. Aside from the wi-fi (which can be replaced), it looks like the GPU is the only major piece missing in my Mojave-HP install so far.

I have never used Quadro cards myself so I can't be sure. But I believe you will be able to use an older MacOS version that support your system in the meantime that has available Nvidia web drivers. Yosemite / El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra all can use Maxwell GPUs with Nvidia web drivers.

What is the exact hardware configuration of the system you are using now? It is not the one listed in your Personal Details, right?

Last edited:
I have never used Quadro cards myself so I can't sure. But I believe you will be able to use an older MacOS version that support your system in the meantime that has available Nvidia web drivers. Yosemite / El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra all can use Maxwell GPUs with Nvidia web drivers.

What is the exact hardware configuration of the system you are using now? It is not the one listed in your Personal Details, right?

No, this is a new unit on my test bench - HP Z2 Mini G3 with an 8-core Xeon, 16 gigs of RAM, 500-gig NVMe SSD, 2GB M620 Quardo, etc. Everything else works, except for native GPU (and Wi-fi, of course, because it's an Intel chip).

I'll have to give High Sierra a shot & see if I can get it all working for now. It's a nice little beast!

@weaksauce12, have you had any success with the Quadro on a pre-Mojave system?

In this thread, tycoonbob seems to get a Quadro P400 and P1000 working in Sierra.

Hi @weaksauce12 I just picked up a z2 G3 on eBay. i7-7700/Quadro 620. I've started installing Sierra on it, since NVIDIA drivers should work for that. I'll let you know what happens, but I need to figure out why my Unibeast installer doesn't see any of the drives. This came with a 1TB HDD & 1TB SSD. Windows is on the SSD, so I'm planning to put Sierra on the HDD.

Did you change the BIOS settings from default other than disabling VT-d and Secure Boot?

Last edited:
@weaksauce12 I steered clear of Mojave for the current lack of nVidia drivers, but just successfully installed High Sierra on my z2. Don't have Quadro drivers working yet, but the integrated display is scaling correctly on my monitor at 1600x1200. I'm using a display port to DVI connector. Have you tried other cable/monitor configs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back