1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, new here. Been lurking for a year or so now, but didn't want to post and break the rules, as I had an AMD system. Last night I bought a Q6600 complete system for 120.

2.4GHz Q6600 core 2 quad
ASUS P5K motherboard
4GB DDR2-800 (from my AMD.. system came with 2GB)
2x250 SATA hard drives (came with system)
500GB SATA hard drive (from AMD)
eVGA Geforce 9800GTX 512mb (came with system)
600W Corsair power supply
all wrapped up in a huge old server case i converted into the ultimate hack pro/gamer case.

Question is: I installed retail 10.6.3 and used Multibeast after upgrading to 10.6.8. (before reboot). even at 10.6.3, the graphics were fully accelerated... widget splashes, front row opens, transparent menu bar) but the UI is LAGGY. I'm almost scared to install Doom 3 on this because I like playing it at 1680x1050 and high detail, not at 640x480 like I did on my G5.

I have removed AGPM.kext (backup on desktop) and am using SMBIOS of a MacPro 3,1.
removing the kext helped a little, but not much. any thoughts, or should I put my 9600GSO in this machine?

I've exactly the same Probleme with a ion2 (GT218) on Lion 10.7.3
Full QE/CI and VDADecoader works, but the UI lags.

I have no idea how to solve it.

SnapMan said:
Graphic Cards Wiki

wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database

Troubleshooting Wiki

wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting

I have less-than-stellar framerates / graphics performance

For certain graphics cards, MacPro4,1 and 5,1 smbios.plists initiate AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext which throttles framerates and general GUI performance severely. You can disable this kext or try to use a different smbios.plist.

Good links... However no help.
Macpro 4,1 and 5,1 give me a kp on boot with a tymce backtrace. Have to go in safe mode to change smbios with multibeast. In safe mode, the entire system FLIES. Perfect.
Not in regular boot.

I have the same problem as well.

I know that my graphics card is fine - on Snow Leopard everything is okay. But in Lion for some reason the GUI is choppy. A quantification?

-mouse feels like it responds at a rate of ~20 fps

-scrolling is okay but intertial scrolling (releasing your finger from MM) pauses for half a second, and then starts 'scrolling' at ~20 fps

-while typing, I'm usually a word ahead of what's on the screen

The darndest thing is that Cinebench scores are merely subpar (about 25 fps, when they should be 29), and playing movies and games are fine. It's really just the GUI... and QE/CI are working too! I get the ripples and the translucent menu bar but no!

My specs are displayed to the left. I'm running 10.7.3 and I've installed the 10.7.3 Combo OpenCL Enabler on a fresh UniBeast UserDSDT install. Also, my org.chameleon.Boot.plis looks like:

Code:
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>Yes</string>

and my SMBIOS:

Code:
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>Mac Pro</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacPro3,1</string>
	<key>SMboardproduct</key>
	<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>G88451235J4</string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com</string>

Any ideas?

I threw in an 8800GT, although the 8400gs works for silky smooth you need more vram and at 256meg the gs was borderline

Lion seems to hit the GFX card harder (in general) than SL. I was running an old backup card (Geforce 9300GE) in my system for a while and at times it felt like the GUI was struggling under a layer of molasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back