CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
babidy said:
Hello community,

I want to build a SFF Hackintosh. Though...I have left with many doubts and the lack of time does not let me check all the forum posts and the golden builds. I will try to be very brave.

What I want: Dual Boot (Win and Hackintosh)
What is most Important: HD Video Calling on Skype, View HD videos at 1080p, and to Play upcoming DIABLO III AND GUILDWARS II.

Components I've decided:

-SFF: Thermaltake Armour a30 or Silverstone SG07. If any of you have it, which is better? I like silent PC and that does not get hot.
-PSU: 450 is enough or i need 600? I am not a gamer, i make daily use of computer..as described perviously.
-CPU: i5 2500k (Maybe i3 is enough?)
-RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 1600 mhz Corssair Vengance. (Can it be any other RAM such as Kingston for example?)
-Motherboard mATX: Does it necessarily has to be GIGABYTE or can it be others like ASUS, MSI, ASROCK etc. I've seen some in the forums who do not have it. I want a good motherboard.
-Graphic Cards: I am lost here. It needs to be from AMD and nVida official or....are Sapphire, Club 3d etc. Maybe the important is the processer (ATI, nVdia) and not the company who makes it?
-HDD: I do not download anything..so even 250 GB is more than enough for me, so i gues I need a SATA 3? Since i want Dual Boot, I buy one of 500/1TB and make a partition? or I buy 2 different HD. I do not need SSD.

It has to be Budget build. Only 500 Euros.

Thanks for reading and taking your time to reply this. =) You can offer me a complete different build too. What i'm sure about is the RAM. I will have 8 GB.

Well you've got one glaring problem right off the bat. You've chosen a mini itx case but list the motherboard as micro atx. That board will not fit inside the case and you need a mini itx motherboard. A 450w PSU should be fine for this build. You could get away with an i3 CPU but the step up to the 2500k is well worth the money IMO. Any compatible ram will work fine (kingston is good). The AsRock H67M-ITX has been used successfully by a number of people on this forum. I can provide a link if you're interested in the setup process. A 6850 or 6870 will be fine for your needs and just about any brand will work. Post back with the specific brand/model you decide on and we can tell you if it will work OOB as there are a few models that cause issues. It would be easiest for dual booting to have 2 separate small SATA III HDD but it can be done with one.

wfj said:
babidy said:
Hello community,

I want to build a SFF Hackintosh. Though...I have left with many doubts and the lack of time does not let me check all the forum posts and the golden builds. I will try to be very brave.

What is most Important: HD Video Calling on Skype, View HD videos at 1080p, and to Play upcoming DIABLO III AND GUILDWARS II.

Components I've decided:

-SFF: Thermaltake Armour a30 or Silverstone SG07. If any of you have it, which is better? I like silent PC and that does not get hot.
-PSU: 450 is enough or i need 600? I am not a gamer, i make daily use of computer..as described perviously.
-RAM: 8 GB DDR 3 1600 mhz Corssair Vengance. (Can it be any other RAM such as Kingston for example?)
-Motherboard mATX: Does it necessarily has to be GIGABYTE or can it be others like ASUS, MSI, ASROCK etc. I've seen some in the forums who do not have it. I want a good motherboard.
-Graphic Cards: I am lost here. It needs to be from AMD and nVida official or....are Sapphire, Club 3d etc. Maybe the important is the processer (ATI, nVdia) and not the company who makes it?
-HDD: I do not download anything..so even 250 GB is more than enough for me, so i gues I need a SATA 3? Since i want Dual Boot, I buy one of 500/1TB and make a partition? or I buy 2 different HD. I do not need SSD.

Thanks for reading and taking your time to reply this. =) You can offer me a complete different build too. What i'm sure about is the RAM. I will have 8 GB.

Well you've got one glaring problem right off the bat. You've chosen a mini itx case but list the motherboard as micro atx. That board will not fit inside the case and you need a mini itx motherboard. A 450w PSU should be fine for this build. You could get away with an i3 CPU but the step up to the 2500k is well worth the money IMO. Any compatible ram will work fine (kingston is good). The AsRock H67M-ITX has been used successfully by a number of people on this forum. I can provide a link if you're interested in the setup process. A 6850 or 6870 will be fine for your needs and just about any brand will work. Post back with the specific brand/model you decide on and we can tell you if it will work OOB as there are a few models that cause issues. It would be easiest for dual booting to have 2 separate small SATA III HDD but it can be done with one.

Also the length of the graphic card must fit In your small casing, take note.

babidy said:
Thanks god! You've just saved my life! So it has to be MICRO ATX. I don't want a very small board. So I think I will chose Thermaltake Armor a30.

Thank you, I'am aware of the graphic card. But I don't know which to chose. I guess I have time now since I can chose any graphic card.

By the way...do you know if my friend who is coming from USA comes to Europe will have to pay customs ? ( I am planning to buy i5, RAM and a HD WebCAM)

That case should work fine. For the motherboard, something like the GA-Z68MA-UD2H will make for an easy install.

I have no idea about the customs question, sorry.

babidy said:
Thanks god! You've just saved my life! So it has to be MICRO ATX. I don't want a very small board. So I think I will chose Thermaltake Armor a30.

Thank you, I'am aware of the graphic card. But I don't know which to chose. I guess I have time now since I can chose any graphic card.

By the way...do you know if my friend who is coming from USA comes to Europe will have to pay customs ? ( I am planning to buy i5, RAM and a HD WebCAM)

For gaming
I think for most MATX casing u can fit in a GTX550TI
ATI 6870 n GTX 560 is longer.
MATX chassis i recommend Silverstone SG02-F if u want GTX560 or 6870

babidy said:
Hello community,

Components I've decided:

You may want to save a few bucks in the ram, neither i5 or i3 fully support 1600mhz ram

wfj said:
babidy said:

That case should work fine. For the motherboard, something like the GA-Z68MA-UD2H will make for an easy install.

Also the ga z68mx makes easy trouble free dual boot machines a few buck more than the MA model but well worth it.

zimzillakilla said:
wfj said:
babidy said:

Also the ga z68mx makes easy trouble free dual boot machines a few buck more than the MA model but well worth it.

Agreed...if you can find one to buy. I haven't seen any available for awhile now.

babidy said:
Thank you all for your replies. I think the most important now is to buy the motherboard and the chasis. I will get the i5 2500K from usa, lot cheaper. I will not install a very hard core gaming Graphic Card. So I will chose it last. So I will be waiting for the MOTHERBOARD replies and I'll purchase asap.

About the chasis, I love both! I am so confused...which to chose. SG02Fi (white) looks very nice too.

Either of the motherboards will work. The MX version is very difficult to find right now so the MA may be the only choice if you want to stick with gigabyte.

babidy said:
wfj said:
babidy said:
Thank you all for your replies. I think the most important now is to buy the motherboard and the chasis. I will get the i5 2500K from usa, lot cheaper. I will not install a very hard core gaming Graphic Card. So I will chose it last. So I will be waiting for the MOTHERBOARD replies and I'll purchase asap.

About the chasis, I love both! I am so confused...which to chose. SG02Fi (white) looks very nice too.

Either of the motherboards will work. The MX version is very difficult to find right now so the MA may be the only choice if you want to stick with gigabyte.

If the MX is better, I will purchase right now from Amazon Spain. There are 2 left ONLY. So I have to be fast. MA is easy to find everywhere, so its not a problem. MX is better version then?

I don't have experience with the MX, only the MA so I can't really comment. Use the compare feature on the gigabyte website so you can see the differences. They are pretty similar and it's likely either one will work fine for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back