Contribute
Register

Full Acceleration for Intel HD 3000 and older NVIDIA Graphics in macOS Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that cards like the GTX 950 or 1050 never had native support in macOS. Writing drivers for those cards would be more than a full time job for anyone, even the most seasoned developer and would take many months of work. Whether they could even pull it off is not for certain. It's so much easier to buy and install a supported AMD card. Looks like you already have an RX 570.

Hey, thanks for the reply... it's appreciated. I knew it would not be a walk-in-the-park undertaking. But like I said, I'm no coder... I didn't realize it would be that huge of an effort.

Yes, I already have a 4gb RX 570 Pulse. It allows me to run Catalina on my Hackintosh... but the performance is nowhere near equal to the performance I experienced with my nVIDIA GPU in Sierra.

To test that -- making sure it wasn't simply differences between Sierra and Catalina -- I did a real world performance test (gaming, a few Adobe applications including large file rendering) in Windows 10 with both my nVIDIA GPU install and then switching to the Radeon 570. Results not really close... the nVIDIA 950 performed quite a bit better than the Radeon 570. The 1050? Not even close, as you might have assumed considering it is a faster GPU than the 950.

For whatever it may be worth to whomever... it is what it is.

My preference has always been nVIDIA over ATI/AMD. I've always had MUCH better results gaming in Windows, any version, with nVIDIA graphics over ATI/AMD.

Thanks again for your response. Guess I'll give up on nVIDIA graphics for the Mac OS at this point... or give up on the Mac OS and go back to Windows. Actually, the ONLY thing I like about Apple as of late is the Mac OS. I prefer the Mac OS over Windows, any version, any day! Hence, my dilemma.

OK did a clean install of 10.15.3 then applied Legacy Video patch. Both Intel HD 3000 and NVIDIA 9400 GT seem to work as well in 10.15.3 as in 10.15.2.

View attachment 447515
View attachment 447514
WoW! How could you switch different card so easy? I have a ThinkPad W530 with NVIDIA Quadro K1000M+Intel GMA HD 4000, now I could only saw NVIDIA with 7M memory in system information. I guess it didn't drived properly. I don't expert could use K1000M in Catalina, but at least HD4000, how could I make it? Thank you!

I ran this patch installer on an older Q77 system with HD4000 graphics (to test out a GT 210 card.) After a reboot, without the 210 installed (where did I put that darn card?) the HD4000 graphics were rendered mostly unusable. It was only on a test partition so no big deal. Just a warning, if you apply these patches to a system with working, Catalina supported Intel HD graphics, they won't work after you reboot. This implies HD4000, HD4600, HD5000 etc.
Really! My laptop won't work anymore? NVIDIA Quadro K1000M+Intel GMA HD 400

A post dedicated to a old motherboard and old graphics cards :D I love it !!!!!!!!!!

I installed ☞ Legacy Video Patch on macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Big thanks to this thread and the author
Everything works perfectly :clap: and I wanted to know if it worked on Beta 4
Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 6.22.05 AM.png

and Yes it works very well but after the update I had to install the Package by booting from my macBook Pro in External Hard Drive Enclosure and I installed the Package.

I put the SSD back in my PC and to avoid getting stuck on an AMFI loop I just add the following boot args
-no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1 amfi_allow_any_signature=0x1 cs_enforcement_disable=0x1

EDIT ---------
What is AMFI ☞
AMFI

RE EDIT ----------
I just test on Clover
DisableLibraryValidation.kext with out the long boot args and its work
Good news :angel:
the kext is upload here

See result :thumbup:
Untitled.png

It works exactly the same for the HD 3000 which I also tested

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 6.22.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 6.22.05 AM.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1,014.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DisableLibraryValidation.kext.zip
    10.1 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the reply... it's appreciated. I knew it would not be a walk-in-the-park undertaking. But like I said, I'm no coder... I didn't realize it would be that huge of an effort.

Yes, I already have a 4gb RX 570 Pulse. It allows me to run Catalina on my Hackintosh... but the performance is nowhere near equal to the performance I experienced with my nVIDIA GPU in Sierra.

To test that -- making sure it wasn't simply differences between Sierra and Catalina -- I did a real world performance test (gaming, a few Adobe applications including large file rendering) in Windows 10 with both my nVIDIA GPU install and then switching to the Radeon 570. Results not really close... the nVIDIA 950 performed quite a bit better than the Radeon 570. The 1050? Not even close, as you might have assumed considering it is a faster GPU than the 950.

For whatever it may be worth to whomever... it is what it is.

My preference has always been nVIDIA over ATI/AMD. I've always had MUCH better results gaming in Windows, any version, with nVIDIA graphics over ATI/AMD.

Thanks again for your response. Guess I'll give up on nVIDIA graphics for the Mac OS at this point... or give up on the Mac OS and go back to Windows. Actually, the ONLY thing I like about Apple as of late is the Mac OS. I prefer the Mac OS over Windows, any version, any day! Hence, my dilemma.
You should describe what games you play.

WoW! How could you switch different card so easy? I have a ThinkPad W530 with NVIDIA Quadro K1000M+Intel GMA HD 4000, now I could only saw NVIDIA with 7M memory in system information. I guess it didn't drived properly. I don't expert could use K1000M in Catalina, but at least HD4000, how could I make it? Thank you!
It’s a desktop computer so that is easy to switch graphics cards.

Really! My laptop won't work anymore? NVIDIA Quadro K1000M+Intel GMA HD 400
Quadro K1000M is a Kepler GPU so you may not need this patch for Catalina.

There is an update on Legacy Video Patch
Testing and working here with DisableLibraryValidation.kext :thumbup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back