Contribute
Register

Full Acceleration for Intel HD 3000 and older NVIDIA Graphics in macOS Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the situation is the same to my GTX 550 Ti. They are both neither GF100 nor GF110, although the description mentions the series unclearly.
I wonder why the Tesla based (GT218) Nvidia 210 cards from 2009 work when others from that era don't ? Why do some newer Fermi cards not work while some do ? It may be based on whether the cards had official support from Apple or not.
Screen Shot 26.jpg

Last edited:
So the situation is the same to my GTX 550 Ti. They are both neither GF100 nor GF110, although the description mentions the series unclearly.

These drivers are taken from older OSX versions so graphics cards that worked in the past on macs without web drivers are included.
Ddr3 vs GDDR5?

Unfortunately, unlike AMD kexts you can't edit the plist to add a device ID for testing.

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.34.31 PM.png

Last edited:
These drivers are taken from older OSX versions so graphics cards that worked in the past on macs without web drivers are included.
Ddr3 vs GDDR5?

Unfortunately, unlike AMD kexts you can't edit the plist to add a device ID for testing.

View attachment 445895
Therefore, if those old Nvidia GPUs are unsupported or poorly supported in High Sierra or earlier, this patch probably will not work for them.

Last edited:
Therefore, if those old Nvidia GPUs are unsupported or poorly supported in High Sierra or earlier, this patch probably will not work for them.

Yes, there are examples of the GT710 which still works in Catalina if its a DDR3 version but the GDDR5 versions have problems. Nvidia updated the card and added newer memory but apple didn't add new drivers for the upgrade.

Yes, there are examples of the GT710 which still works in Catalina if its a DDR3 version but the GDDR5 versions have problems. Nvidia updated the card and added newer memory but apple didn't add new drivers for the upgrade.
Just took a glance at specifications and found that Fermi GPUs (except some Quadro models) were never used in any Mac.

Last edited:
I am running the original 2011 CustoMac Mini on a 2500k (Intel HD 3000).
I tried a Catalina install on a fresh SSD and it successfully boots independently but only has 1024x768 pixels resolution. Will running this installer automatically give me 1920x1080 or is that a separate issue?

FYI, to answer my own question, yes. The only thing you have to do is download the latest version of the installer, run it, restart and boom, now it boots in 1080P instead of 1024x768! It just works!

The Clover Boot screen and the initial Apple logo are still 1024x768 but now at 3/4th progress bar the screen goes black and switches to 1080P to finish booting. This is the same behavior as in Sierra boot.
  1. Sorta related: do we know if HDMI Audio is possible on the 2011 CustoMac Mini in Catalina?
  2. Unrelated: if anyone knows why the Unibeast USB can boot Clover in 1080P, but the installed Clover never does, please drop me a link.

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 12.00.22 AM.png

Just took a glance at specifications and found that Fermi GPUs (except some Quadro models) were never used in any Mac.
MacBooks had 8xxx and 9xxx mobile fermi cards and old iMacs had them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back