Contribute
Register

Front panel buttons must be shorted out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-A/3.1 with Thunderbolt card
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
Nvidia 750 Ti
Finished my first build, when I first turned on there was no video output out of the motherboard or the video card. After pulling the pin connectors from the front panel for power, reset, HDD led, and PLED, I tried again and it worked. I thought I might have had something crossed, so I carefully connected everything again. I tried and it worked. Then I tried again minutes later and it was doing the same thing. So I pulled all the pins off again and it works.

This is the case I bought...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147160

something you might need to know...

The mother board amazingly came with 7 out of 9 standoffs. So I Added a screw with a composite spacer to fully secure the board.

Attachments

• Photo Feb 14, 8 45 28 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 14, 8 45 28 AM.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 89
  • Photo Feb 14, 8 26 52 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 14, 8 26 52 AM.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Header PIns.jpg
    Header PIns.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Photo Feb 14, 8 27 03 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 14, 8 27 03 AM.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 87
Update:

I just realized that it sometime doesn't work while front panel cables are plugged in. When i turn the computer off though, plug the buttons in then it seems to work, if it turns off then back on it doesnt work. So i turn off pull the sable back out and then it works when I boot back up...

Any ideas?

Okay I would suggest that you connect one front panel cable at a time and check for proper operation.

header.jpg

I would start by connecting the PWR SW cable first and then test.

You should be able to find the cable that is not appropriate for your motherboard this way.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back