Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
HD 3000
I have my first Hackintosh build that has been in working order for the past four years, but is in desperate need of update as my 3rd party software requires it. (Thanks, Adobe)

I have Lion running on a SSD, and am empty 1TB HD ready and waiting.
I am using the graphics from the motherboard; no graphic card installed.

I've attempted to install El Capitan, but am still using Chimera and I see that is not an option. I've tried to install Yosemite using Clover and it will not recognize the USB drive. So, now I tried to install Yosemite the old fashion USB way using UniBeast and am getting the 'can't find mach_kernel' error.

My BIOS is the original TouchBIOS and I understand that I need to update it to UEFI; can someone guide me as to how to do with without Windows on my machine?

Any other help would be appreciated; I'm a little overwhelmed with the different options. TIA!

I have my first Hackintosh build that has been in working order for the past four years, but is in desperate need of update as my 3rd party software requires it. (Thanks, Adobe)

I have Lion running on a SSD, and am empty 1TB HD ready and waiting.
I am using the graphics from the motherboard; no graphic card installed.

I've attempted to install El Capitan, but am still using Chimera and I see that is not an option. I've tried to install Yosemite using Clover and it will not recognize the USB drive. So, now I tried to install Yosemite the old fashion USB way using UniBeast and am getting the 'can't find mach_kernel' error.

My BIOS is the original TouchBIOS and I understand that I need to update it to UEFI; can someone guide me as to how to do with without Windows on my machine?

Any other help would be appreciated; I'm a little overwhelmed with the different options. TIA!
If you create your Unibeast USB in Legacy Mode there is no need to flash your BIOS to a UEFI update even if it is available (it is not on some boards).
Chimera will boot Yosemite if you want to go that route, but remove from your /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist the key:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

It is not needed and the kernel name changed and was relocated (I think in Yosemite, but maybe not until El Capitan)

If you create your Unibeast USB in Legacy Mode there is no need to flash your BIOS to a UEFI update even if it is available (it is not on some boards).
Chimera will boot Yosemite if you want to go that route, but remove from your /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist the key:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

It is not needed and the kernel name changed and was relocated (I think in Yosemite, but maybe not until El Capitan)

Thank you for replying! Just to clarify...What version of UniBeast and Multibeast should I use? I did create my USB in Legacy mode, but don't see an /Extra folder.

Thank you for replying! Just to clarify...What version of UniBeast and Multibeast should I use? I did create my USB in Legacy mode, but don't see an /Extra folder.
If you have an existing Lion install you have a /Extra folder in your root directory.
Use UniBeast 5.2 and MultiBeast 7.5 for Yosemite.
Unibeast 5.2 creates a Chimera based USB installer, same as the installers for Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks

If you have an existing Lion install you have a /Extra folder in your root directory.
Use UniBeast 5.2 and MultiBeast 7.5 for Yosemite.
Unibeast 5.2 creates a Chimera based USB installer, same as the installers for Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks

Well, not sure what to do now. I downloaded the versions listed above for Uni and Multi and it gives me this screen:

I've deleted the install Yosemite from my drive, emptied the trash and reloaded the install file and it still tells me the same thing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 11.05.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 11.05.34 AM.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 102
Well, not sure what to do now. I downloaded the versions listed above for Uni and Multi and it gives me this screen:

I've deleted the install Yosemite from my drive, emptied the trash and reloaded the install file and it still tells me the same thing.
It means your installation app is either incomplete or was downloaded prior to the date Apple changed the signature on the app.
Try setting your BIOS clock bact to before January 5, 2016 and try again. If it does not work, go to the App store purchased software screen and download the install app again.

It means your installation app is either incomplete or was downloaded prior to the date Apple changed the signature on the app.
Try setting your BIOS clock bact to before January 5, 2016 and try again. If it does not work, go to the App store purchased software screen and download the install app again.

I've tried to redownload Yosemite, and the app store tells me that there is an error. I can't get it to download.
Can I go straight to El Capitan? (BIOS is not updated. It's at F12, not UEFI yet.)

I've tried to redownload Yosemite, and the app store tells me that there is an error. I can't get it to download.
Can I go straight to El Capitan? (BIOS is not updated. It's at F12, not UEFI yet.)
If you have never downloaded Yosemite it is too late - Apple has taken it off the downloadable list. Your choices now are El Capitan and Sierra, and El Capitan will probably be removed soon.
To download Sierra you will probably have to change your System Definition to one that Sierra supports.

If you have never downloaded Yosemite it is too late - Apple has taken it off the downloadable list. Your choices now are El Capitan and Sierra, and El Capitan will probably be removed soon.
To download Sierra you will probably have to change your System Definition to one that Sierra supports.

Thanks for your reply! I took a leap of faith, and since last messaging you, have a successful install of El Capitan!

I'm at the post-installation process. Do I run multibeast (and if so, what options do I tick off) or post-install options (step 6)?

Thanks for your reply! I took a leap of faith, and since last messaging you, have a successful install of El Capitan!

I'm at the post-installation process. Do I run multibeast (and if so, what options do I tick off) or post-install options (step 6)?
Depends on what you were using as a boot loader in Yosemite and if you did a direct update or a clean install. If Chimera, you need to delete the /Extra folder and install Clover. If you were using Clover and did a direct update, probably all you have to do is run the script to enable Audio.
Otherwise if you did a clean install, install Clover and run Multibeast for needs kexts for your hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back