Contribute
Register

Fresh install of Mountain Lion (Dual boot with previous Snow Leopard Install)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH Mobo with Thunderbolt 3
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K Processor (4 GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 8 MB cache, LGA1151 Socket Box)
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse Radeon Rx 570 4gb Gddr5 Graphics Card
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I could get some advice before I make the following installation.

Currently have a good solid instal of Snow Leopard 10.6.8 from a lovely CustomBeast (MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8) I paid for a while ago on here on TonyMac.

The problem is I now need to run some applications in Lion which currently don't support Snow Leopard.

I've just bought Mountain Lion and installed it on a USB drive and have downloaded MultiBeast-Mountain-Lion-Edition-5.5.5 and Chimera 3.0.1.

I wanted to create a fresh install on a new Seagate Desktop SSHD 1000GB 64MB Hybrid HDD and create some sort of dual boot so I can select to boot off one of the two drives when starting the machine.

Fairly computer savvy so I roughly know how to do an install following the instructions but I wanted to get some expert advice from you guys on here, would really value some thoughts on how best to do this so I'm definitely going about this the right way or if you've got any suggestions.

My current system is as follows:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE - GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 - Rev 1.0
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Video Card: GIGABYTE - GV-R577SL-1GD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) 16GB DDR3
HDD Main 10.6.8 OS: 1 x Seagate BARRACUDA 1TB SATA 3.5IN 7200RPM

HDD Storage: 1 x Western Digital 2TB SATA 3.5IN 7200RPM
HDD For running projects on: 1 x Samsung SSD 840 Pro 250gb

Thanks for any advice / help in advance.

Dale

I've just bought Mountain Lion and installed it on a USB drive and have downloaded MultiBeast-Mountain-Lion-Edition-5.5.5 and Chimera 3.0.1.

If by this you mean that you used UniBeast to create an installer USB, then copy your DSDT and the ML MultiBeast to the UniBeast ML installer USB, disconnect all drives except the one you wnat to install ML on and follow the guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Once installed, copy your DSDT and MultiBeast to desktop, run MultiBeast and select UserDSDT, your audio and networking kexts and install. Get everything working to your satisfaction.

Shut down, reconnect other drives.
Reboot to BIOS and make the ML drive first in HDD boot order. Hit a key to select the SL drive to boot or install Instant Menu.

Thanks mate,

That looks very straight forward, I'll give it a crack and let you know how I get on. Many thanks for responding and for the advice, really appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back