Contribute
Register

Freezing (MV 10.9.1, GA-Z87X, i7 4770K, GTX 760, 32 GB RAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-OC
CPU
i7 4770K
Graphics
GTX 1060 OC 6GB
Hi,

i know there are already some threads about similar builds and the freezing problem.
But obviously there has not been found a solution or a definite source of the problem.
I experienced a enormous change in occurance of the freezes in the last two days. So maybe this will lead onto something or anyhow someone can tell me what the new source of freezing could be?!

My system (build after the model of Wildwillows Haswell Build) was running really good for a few weeks now. There were maybe 1-2 freezes per week while i was editing a movie in premiere running the build 6-8 hours per day (most of the time, this was the only bigger software running). So it was pretty stable i would say. Yesterday i tried to begin with some color correction in Davinci Resolve. That lead to 1-3 freezes. So i began to look for new solutions and found this to sound very promising:
The problem is very common with z87x boards using 4 dimms of ram. Most of the people who discussed it in the Gigabyte forums have solved it by using the latest beta bios and increasing IO analogue, IO digital and System Agent Voltage, all three by +0,2v.

Then there's the other problem that I believe is completely unrelated, which is that 10.9.2 is freezing for some of us while 10.9.1 wasn't.

So i upated my BIOS to f7, but i never got far enough to adjust the voltage cause i just cant find the parameters (IO analog, digital and System Agent) in BIOS. I wrote a message to flexmanta and hope to receive a response too.

But since that update of BIOS the freezing occurance changed again. While yesterday i only had 2 freezes in 2-3 hours of running Davinci Resolve, now i can't even work with that programm for more than 5 -10 minutes without a freeze. When i leave Davinci closed the system runs way longer. When i open my Premiere Project it may last for 30 -60 Minutes without freezing. For me it looks like this could relate to the ram voltage issue as well as to the workload of the gpu. But I have no clue how to get to a possible solution for this.

Is there anyone who can help me to get back to an almost stable system?

Latest beta BIOS for GA-Z87X-OC is F8a. But it has stability issues.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-891.html

Try to remove one or two RAM sticks. It fixed problem for me on my GA-Z87MX-D3H, but now i have only 16 GB of RAM :(

Okay i will try that. But looking at the latest happenings, it couldn't only be the ram. Because at the moment Resolve just freezes the system right after launching the problem. Yesterday it was halfway stable and worked atleast for a few hours. Could this be the result of updating the bios?

Is there a chance to go back to an earlier more stable bios?

Latest beta BIOS for GA-Z87X-OC is F8a. But it has stability issues.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios-891.html

Try to remove one or two RAM sticks. It fixed problem for me on my GA-Z87MX-D3H, but now i have only 16 GB of RAM :(

Ok that's not good. I removed two RAM Sticks and now the system wont boot at all. It powers on fans turn on but after a few seconds it restarts in an endless loop. I put back the two Ram sticks but nothing has changed. PLEASE HELP :cry:

reboot loop? did you changed any voltage in BIOS?
remove all RAM sticks, and put back two of them
remove power cord from PSU for 10-15 seconds, press the power button once or twice, then put power cord back.
If it won't help reset the BIOS and repeat the above.
is there any sound or beeping from motherboard???

Okay i got out of the loop, one stick wasn't sitting tight. Now i have only 3 Sticks in. Do i have to change any voltage stuff in Bios to make sure i don't damage anything. Sorry i'm a noob :banghead:

i don't know your memory model so i can't say how much you can rise the voltage.
There are 4 types of memory (1.65V, 1.5V, 1.35V,1.25V)

I have the Corsair 1.5V 16000 MHz Sticks. I didn't change anything in BIOS so far. I put out two of them like you, and now the freezing seems to be gone. Thanks alot for your help. But i hope there will be a real solution soon :(

Power on you PC an go to BIOS. Press F2, BIOS should change to old style.
In M.I.T. find Advanced Voltage Settings
In Advanced Voltage Settings find DRAM Voltage. If you want you can rise the voltage to 1.6 or 1.65.
It should look like this:
http://forumscdn.tweaktown.com/atta...ettings-eg-cpu-nb-voltage-voltagesettings.jpg
Do not go over 1.65 there is a possibility of burning your memory. I know that people on threads say to rise up to +0.2v but it not safe for 1.5v memory.

Power on you PC an go to BIOS. Press F2, BIOS should change to old style.
In M.I.T. find Advanced Voltage Settings
In Advanced Voltage Settings find DRAM Voltage. If you want you can rise the voltage to 1.6 or 1.65.
It should look like this:
http://forumscdn.tweaktown.com/atta...ettings-eg-cpu-nb-voltage-voltagesettings.jpg
Do not go over 1.65 there is a possibility of burning your memory. I know that people on threads say to rise up to +0.2v but it not safe for 1.5v memory.

Okay, just to make sure: you say i should try to get all 4 Sticks working by increasing the voltage? Did you tried this for your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back