Contribute
Register

Format old hackintosh drive for Windows install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI
CPU
Core i7-6700K
Graphics
Geforce gtx 960 2gb
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi. I have built a new Hackintosh and it runs great. On my old hackintosh computer I want to intsall Windows 11. I´m all new to Windows but I want to try it out. The question I have is. How should I format my old internal hackintosh ssd before installing Windows on it? please explain in detail because i'm not very comfortable with this kind of stuff. Thanks // Olle

You can format it as you would an old macOS drive, i.e. GUID & Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using Disk Utility.

When you use the Windows installer, you have to select 'Custom install',
  1. So you can delete the two partitions currently on the old drive,
  2. You then need to select the drives Free spaces as the Win 11 installation location, and
  3. The installation wizard will create the partitions required for Win 11's installation.
You probably need to confirm that your 'Old' system will run Windows 11 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications

There are a number of hacks available that allow users to install Win 11 on unsupported systems, but they usually have some caveats you would need to be aware of when choosing to run the Win 11 installation.

Hi. I have built a new Hackintosh and it runs great. On my old hackintosh computer I want to intsall Windows 11. I´m all new to Windows but I want to try it out. The question I have is. How should I format my old internal hackintosh ssd before installing Windows on it? please explain in detail because i'm not very comfortable with this kind of stuff. Thanks // Olle
Do you wish to erase your drive (thus removing MacOS so that you can't run it anymore) or do you wish to repartition the drive so that you keep MacOS but free up space to install Windows?

Or do you have a spare drive to install Windows and want to keep MacOS on the disk?

As Edhawk mentioned, the version of Windows 11 as issued by Microsoft will not install on your system as your CPU is not supported (You have a 6th generation Intel CPU but Microsoft states that only 8th generation Intel CPUs and later are supported.). If you want to install Windows 11 on your system you will have to use some kind of trick to trick Windows 11 into installing.

Personally I use MediaCreationTool to download and generate a Windows 11 ISO that removes all the compatibility checks so that using that ISO you can install Windows 11 on unsupported systems.

Do you wish to erase your drive (thus removing MacOS so that you can't run it anymore) or do you wish to repartition the drive so that you keep MacOS but free up space to install Windows?

Or do you have a spare drive to install Windows and want to keep MacOS on the disk?

As Edhawk mentioned, the version of Windows 11 as issued by Microsoft will not install on your system as your CPU is not supported (You have a 6th generation Intel CPU but Microsoft states that only 8th generation Intel CPUs and later are supported.). If you want to install Windows 11 on your system you will have to use some kind of trick to trick Windows 11 into installing.

Personally I use MediaCreationTool to download and generate a Windows 11 ISO that removes all the compatibility checks so that using that ISO you can install Windows 11 on unsupported systems.
Yes I want to completly erase my osx drive and get rid of osx and install Windows on it.

From what I have read on Microsofts website my machien meets the minimum requierments of Windows 11 but some specific features requiers a 8th generation CPU. Or am I wrong with this?
"

(requirements for public preview)
Windows Subsystem for Android™
Apps available in Amazon Appstore Preview. Additional requirements apply, including 8 GB of RAM, a solid-state drive (SSD), and a supported processor (Intel® Core™ i3 8th Generation, AMD Ryzen™ 3000, Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 8c, or above). Further updates about applicable system requirements will be communicated as the product is rolled out to select geographies. Public preview available in the United States only.

"

Or am I wrong with this?
Not just some features. Microsoft drew the line for even being able to install the 11 OS if you don't have an 8th gen or newer CPU and TPM 2.0 support. There is a registry change you can make to get around this. I've used it to install 11 on a 4th gen Intel CPU system. Works great. Even the updates work though MS said that they won't. I don't have TPM 2.0 or even Secure Boot on in the BIOS. Still works with no issues at all.

Here's a video showing how to make the USB installer if you want a clean install without 10 pre-installed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back