Contribute
Register

Flashed an incompatible bootloader. How do I patch my bootloader from another OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP 4530s (W7, Mavericks, Linux Mint)
CPU
i3 2350M @2.3GHz
Graphics
Intel HD-3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a multiboot Probook 4530s running W7, OSX, and Ubuntu. Everything was fine and dandy until two weeks ago I was installing/fixing/upgrading some kexts and decided to try a new bootloader. I flashed Darwin/x86 Chimera v1.1 IIRC. Now I don't get past loading mach_kernel (3 lines) and it bootloops. I've tried all the boot flags (except "-legacy", which I'll try immediately after this post).

My W7 and Ubuntu partitions are working just fine. I can view files in my OSX partition, but is there any way to change the bootloader on the OSX partition from within another partition running a different OS? Is it just a file that I have to replace or does this change require booting into OSX? I did try an iboot DVD, but it gave me the "You must reboot your computer .... holding down power button... etc. screen. I don't have that dvd with me unfortunately, it is at a friend's house ATM, so I can't check to see what the log was putting out. That leads me to believe I also installed some incompatible kexts. The problem is, my bootloader is no good, so I can't even boot into Single User mode and fix the kexts through the terminal!

Can anybody offer any advice? I've been trying to use VMware on W7 and Ubuntu, but then I have to extract the InstallESD.dmg from the OSX partition, convert it to an image, create a VM with it, then create a bootable rescue USB, but now I found out I've got to crack it to run Mac on VMware and I don't want to have to do that if I don't have to.

Here are some "screenshots" from my bootloop. You can see the bootloader version and log here. Is it a standard kernel panic or the wrong bootloader?

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
  • IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
  • IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 276
Create a USB stick using a different computer and boot with that USB then you could make changes.
Or use virtual machine and using unibeast create a bootable drive thats all you have to do.

Unfortunately, I only have access to Windows and Ubuntu computers at the moment.

I do have a blank dvd-r. If I burn a chameleon iso, will it be bootable?

Unfortunately, I only have access to Windows and Ubuntu computers at the moment.

I do have a blank dvd-r. If I burn a chameleon iso, will it be bootable?

Try booting in safemode: -x
What did you pick when installing multibeast first time for boot options?
Did you use a guide if so post it

Try booting in safemode: -x
What did you pick when installing multibeast first time for boot options?
Did you use a guide if so post it

My friend, I've tried all the boot flags and it will not go past loading the kernel. You can see the boot flags I'm entering in the pictures and the results. I'm going to try to burn the Chameleon ISO and attempt to boot from it to repair from Terminal if possible.

I was mostly hoping to browse through the OSX file system in Ubuntu or W7 and replace the bootloader file. Does anyone know if this is possible?

My friend, I've tried all the boot flags and it will not go past loading the kernel. You can see the boot flags I'm entering in the pictures and the results. I'm going to try to burn the Chameleon ISO and attempt to boot from it to repair from Terminal if possible.

I was mostly hoping to browse through the OSX file system in Ubuntu or W7 and replace the bootloader file. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Try: KernelCache=No

Thanks, everybody! I actually ended up burning the iBoot ISO from windows and was able to boot up and fix everything rather easily. The DVD I tried before was an SL iBoot DVD and thus did not allow me to boot up into Mountain Lion. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll begin making my Unibeast USB now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back