Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi! I'm really glad to have made it to 10.7.2 and be able to boot and have most functionality!

Video display is not ideal. I only have 1028x768 resolution. My "real mac" with the same monitor allows lots of choices, one of which being my preferred 1360x768. Youtube videos won't display though the pages load fine and I can hear the audio fine. Now, I just tried out a DVD for kicks, but DVD Player says:
There was an initialization error
A valid video device could not be found for playback. [-70017]

After reading lots of threads/suggestions, I have used the Mac Mini system definition via MultiBeast's Customization options.

My BIOS is revision 11, the DSDT Database only has previous versions ending with 10 at the time I'm writing. I had extracted the attached DSDT VeryModernDSDT.AMLfor MultiBeast's User DSDT option when building from 10.6.3-->10.6.8 and it's entirely possible this is the main problem with my lack of complete video support at this time - I'm not an expert at any of this to be sure.

Here's what my System Report says about graphics/display. Interestingly, the window's title bar says Mac Mini but the status/info bar at the bottom of the window says "[User]'s Mac Pro" (that's where it shows a "tree" of where you're browsing in the system report, be it in Hardware-USB-USB High-Speed Bus, Network-Locations, etc). Everywhere I know to look, it's identified as a Mac Mini except there, and I think maybe since that's probably what was first defined on initial install before I did more reading and used MultiBeast to change to Mac Mini, maybe the original just stuck. "About this Mac" shows Mac mini Mid 2011 for what it's worth:
Display:
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0112
Revision ID: 0x0009
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

From terminal [oh, there's that mac pro business again - I think it's only in name], here's the information I saw requested in other posts about video troubles:
admins-mac-pro:~ admin$ ioreg |grep ATY
admins-mac-pro:~ admin$ bdmesg |grep Framebuffer
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext/Contents/Info.plist] 2307 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/System/Library/Extensions/ATIFramebuffer.kext/Contents/Info.plist] 2342 bytes.

the ioreg didn't give anything back but the prompt.

I had in the past played around with MultiBeast's Miscellaneous - FakeSMCPlugins - Motherboard Plugins and its ACPIMonitor.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext and SuperIOFamily.kext FakeSMC plugins are indeed in my /Extra/Extensions but as I write this, I realize they are not in my /System/Library/Extensions

Here's what's in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600051c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

that last one is so that my onboard Ethernet would work correctly in order to get to the App Store from 10.6.8 and purchase the Lion installer.

Besides the video question, I have an ancillary concern. I had considerable difficulty getting to this point with 10.7.2 (some of the story is detailed on this thread http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=43693&p=279303#p279303) so I want to be better informed so as to avoid those troubles again. I think that the MultiBeast-packaged bootloader was a factor in my troubles, as I really only saw a difference after installing Chimera 1.7.0. If I use MultiBeast again with UserDSDT or anything that might alter the bootloader, could I then run the stand-alone installer for Chimera 1.7.0 and feel safer rebooting?

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• VeryModernDSDT.AML
    17.3 KB · Views: 98
Re: HD3000 doesn't seem right with GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 / i5-2500K

Hi there VM,

A quick easy fix to resolve your screen resolution size is to download Chameleon wizard and run it, it gives you several options of screen resolution size, I used before I installed my graphics card.

I had the same problem with the You Tube videos, I know it was only a few weeks ago but I can't remember the fix, I think was just a case of installing flash player from adobe, I did get the answer somewhere off the forum.

HNY

all the best

Dave

Remember.. Don't use VGA port, use HDMI instead and change System Definition to MAC MINI,

sorry for bad english

Thanks Freeridefilms & zeuspy for the replies!

The first thing I tried was to install Adobe Flash Player when I noticed the YouTube problem - but to no avail.

I think from the very beginning I wasn't getting a good display (800x600 and right 2/3 of the screen only it seemed, I only saw it for part of the BIOS) using VGA so since then have only used the HDMI.

I'll give Chameleon Wizard a try after work to see if I can get a better resolution, and I'll check your posts Freeridefilms in case you had documented your fix for the YouTube videos.

If those suggestions do work, it still leaves the DVD Player problem, and does anyone with working HD3000 show it recognized correctly in their system report? I'm not sure what will tell me "hey! your video is working fully now" so I thought that might be a clue?

verymodern said:
Thanks Freeridefilms & zeuspy for the replies!

The first thing I tried was to install Adobe Flash Player when I noticed the YouTube problem - but to no avail.

I think from the very beginning I wasn't getting a good display (800x600 and right 2/3 of the screen only it seemed, I only saw it for part of the BIOS) using VGA so since then have only used the HDMI.

I'll give Chameleon Wizard a try after work to see if I can get a better resolution, and I'll check your posts Freeridefilms in case you had documented your fix for the YouTube videos.

If those suggestions do work, it still leaves the DVD Player problem, and does anyone with working HD3000 show it recognized correctly in their system report? I'm not sure what will tell me "hey! your video is working fully now" so I thought that might be a clue?

Try removing your EFI ethernet injection. Is is know to cause frame buffer problems in some cases.

No Worries VM,

prior to my graphics card installation I only ever used the VGA port, also I was never able to successfully "without getting the blank grey screen" install the the DSDT's for our Mobo off the database, used multi beast to do the easy install. I have modified the chameleon plist to suite my needs and have a fully operational system, it takes time but got there in the end, first with SL and now with Lion.

what helped me was actually installing a second OSX system this allowed me to trial and error suggestions from the forum, i.e. audio, ethernet/apps, etc. I could easily boot into the second osx system and remove anything that corrupted or caused KP's from the extra folder/chameleon plist a lot of trial and error.

VM if you do a search for HD3000 I think you will find there are also answers in other threads that may well help you.

all the best

Dave

scousi said:
Try removing your EFI ethernet injection. Is is know to cause frame buffer problems in some cases.

Hello scousi! I'm quick to admit enough ignorance to not be able to take your suggestion into action. I don't know what an EFI ethernet injection is let alone how to remove it, I'm afraid. I thought EFI was a special small partition dedicated to booting. It would help me to know in general what an "injection" is so I could take the appropriate course to try pulling that out. Thank you kindly.

verymodern said:
scousi said:

Hello scousi! I'm quick to admit enough ignorance to not be able to take your suggestion into action. I don't know what an EFI ethernet injection is let alone how to remove it, I'm afraid. I thought EFI was a special small partition dedicated to booting. It would help me to know in general what an "injection" is so I could take the appropriate course to try pulling that out. Thank you kindly.

Save and the remove these 2 lines from your plist and reboot. This will however probably disable AppStore and iCloud access (in my case anyways). But you only have to re-add the lines later.

For me, I cannot get graphics to work (I have an AMD 6670) with built-in ethernet. This might not be the problem you're having but it's worth checking.

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600051c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

Removing the device properties/string for my on-board ethernet made no difference in any video properties or behaviour.

Chameleon Wizard added this to my org.chameleon.Boot.plist:
  • <key>GenerateCStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GeneratePStates</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>1360x768x32</string>

I found/followed this procedure from bcc9 at the insanelymac site http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259705&st=0- and used the table for mac mini on page 6 of the thread from Toleda (post #109). I don't see any differences, really. I can confirm that VGA is working fine though - the display on my same monitor is more dim and yellowish but otherwise looks the same as HDMI. I never tested that since my very initial efforts getting 10.6.3 installed so I can't say that this is the result of following those instructions or not. didn't think to test DVI but here I go....my monitor doesn't have a DVI input, but I do have a DVI male to VGA female adapter and a VGA cable, so that would still test DVI output for the purposes of documenting this activity....ok can't really test that as my adapter's flat plug for the DVI port is flanked with four pins - two on either side, that the motherboard port doesn't have holes for!!

Anyway - I now have the desired resolution but I still:
  • don't have the System Information reporting HD3000 graphics[/*:m:1cakh4dd]
  • don't have more than the resolution that defaults or the Boot.plist forces[/*:m:1cakh4dd]
  • can't see any YouTube content although I hear it fine (I did search on that one - perhaps someone could recommend an alternate search or point me to a good thread[/*:m:1cakh4dd]
  • can't play DVDs in DVD Player (error message on my first post in this thread)[/*:m:1cakh4dd]
  • can't play DVDs in VLC either. a 3GP file plays fine, an MP4 files doesn't play in VLC or iTunes - they "play" as in progress bar moves along and audio is present, but there is a black window where the video instead should display[/*:m:1cakh4dd]

I think something biggish is amiss, possibly the DSDT or something missing/wrong at boot, but I feel ill equipped to continue at this point.

Hi VM,

i'll copy my chameleon boot plist, see if you match up with what you may need

regards

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back