Contribute
Register

[FIX] "Window Server Service only ran for 0 seconds" with dual-GPU

Also having the WindowsServer error…
Using my old EFI from El Cap/Sierra didn’t work, even including changes from #3 (spoof), so redid EFI as per FAQ & Guide in hopes to narrow down the issue.

_OFF was found in SSDT-7.dsl, both the PowerResource and the one I wanted, but it doesn’t look the same as your example - has a Notify followed by a shortened path… Went ahead and added the spoof, added to config.plist LoadingOrder and enabled _DSM->XDSM patch, but with same result. At a loss as to what to try next.

Please advise. Thank you!

Attachments

• report.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 126
Also having the WindowsServer error…
Using my old EFI from El Cap/Sierra didn’t work, even including changes from #3 (spoof), so redid EFI as per FAQ & Guide in hopes to narrow down the issue.

_OFF was found in SSDT-7.dsl, both the PowerResource and the one I wanted, but it doesn’t look the same as your example - has a Notify followed by a shortened path… Went ahead and added the spoof, added to config.plist LoadingOrder and enabled _DSM->XDSM patch, but with same result. At a loss as to what to try next.

Please advise. Thank you!

Spelling mistake.
Your device is at \_SB.PCI0.RP05.PXSX:
Code:
    Scope (\_SB.PCI0.RP05.PXSX)
    {
        Method (_OFF, 0, Serialized)  // _OFF: Power Off
        {
            If (LEqual (CCHK (Zero), Zero))
            {
                Return (Zero)
            }

HGOF ()
            Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP05, Zero)
            Return (Zero)
        }

But you coded _SB.PCI0.RP05.PSXS:
Code:
    Method (_SB.PCI0.RP05.PSXS._DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
    {

Note: SortedOrder not needed unless the SSDTs in ACPI/patched are order dependent (order dependency not possible with a single SSDT in ACPI/patched).

BTW, if SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml works (once you fix it), try also the attached config.plist (without SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml).

Attachments

• config.plist
    13.9 KB · Views: 274
I've been beating my head against the wall for days over this :banghead:.... never saw that spelling mistake! So sorry! Thank you! Booted into installer (of course by now it's damaged, but I can fix that... I think. lol)! Thanks again!

I've been beating my head against the wall for days over this :banghead:.... never saw that spelling mistake! So sorry! Thank you! Booted into installer (of course by now it's damaged, but I can fix that... I think. lol)! Thanks again!

Please test the config.plist I attached (without SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml).
Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Will do, once I re-download High Sierra... TY!

Ok thank you very much, just to inform that on my ASUS N752VX the spoof works with _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.

Now:
The third option (injecting name/IOName/class-code) is designed to be used with native ACPI, not patched ACPI.
If you are already disabling the Nvidia device with _OFF, you don't use the third option.

Put another way, all the options mentioned in post #1 are mutually exclusive. Why are you trying to implement more than one?

Do you mean that with the third option the Nvidia device is not actually turned off?
I'll be working with patched ACPI as I did with my former Sierra setup. Will I have to disable the discrete GPU in ACPI as per guide and remove SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml ?
Note: I haven't gone any further than booting the installer yet.

Last edited:
Do you mean that with the third option the Nvidia device is not actually turned off?

Correct. The injections just keep the drivers (software) from loading.
It does nothing to affect power usage of the device itself.

I'll be working with patched ACPI as I did with my former Sierra setup. Will I have to disable the discrete GPU in ACPI as per guide and remove SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml ?

Yes.

Thanks in advance.

Finally able to get High Sierra downloaded... Sorry for delay. Tried config.plist, removing spoofed .aml, but was unable to get it to boot. I'd send a screenshot, but it flashes by real fast (so it's garbled on the picture) and ends in a black screen...

So, just an update on the issue I had with HS, I did find a way to make it work.

I am using your third method (using SSDT-DiscreteSpoof) but because it's not possible to do it and turn off the gpu at _INI/REG I used a sort of hybrid method, I still disable the cpu before sleep (_PTS) and after wake (_WAK) but I don't do it at boot.
Instead I used ACPIDebug and it's custom method called using ioio to disable it (I plan on using lauchd to do it at boot or login).

I don't thing it will help anybody (probably because it seems to be an overcomplicated method to achieve a simple goal) but I share it here in case somebody have the same issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• MSI_Apache_Pro.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 86
Back