Contribute
Register

[FIX] "Window Server Service only ran for 0 seconds" with dual-GPU

Hi RehabMan,

I've tried all three methods to get this "WindowServer service ran for 0 secs" error, no avail..
In the end I copied the config.plist file you posted for a user on the same thread having hd 5500 and an ATI card, modified the ati to list nvidia, used it, and now I'm stuck in a boot loop.

I'm attaching a copy of the clover dir + video of what I see now.
Appreciate your help!

Use an invalid ig-platform-id to avoid KP due to incorrect DVMT-prealloc setting.
See guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Hi RehabMan,

I used Unibeast 8.0 to create High Sierra USB installer. This exact problem came up in my system. I have tried your method, adding spoofed AML to the patched folder. However, the problem still persists.

I've verified the ACPI path using Device Manager under windows in this same notebook (attahed)

The config.plist from Unibeast doesn't have any Patches entry in the ACPI section. Do you think I need to add that manually?

Here I also attached the clover folder.

Thank you for your help and sorry for my English.

Your config.plist is missing the _DSM->XDSM patch.
See guide for better starter config.plist:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
It has the _DSM->XDSM already there, but you must enable it.

Use an invalid ig-platform-id to avoid KP due to incorrect DVMT-prealloc setting.
See guide:

I followed that guide, got to this WindowServer issue, realised it's a gpu issue, then followed the edit SSDT,DSDT->add to patch dir in clover (method 2) guide, problem persisted. Finally I found this thread, that specifically targeted the WindowServer error for dual-gpus and 10.13; followed the guide post, screen started freezing at "HID: Legacy shim 2", with some references to an XHCI driver just before.

So I gave up and copied a config.plist file you edited for a system very similar to mine and changed wherever necessary. Clearly didn't work. Got the error that I reported on my previous post..

This time I'm starting clean, wiped and installed fresh clover again following the guide you mentioned, tried booting and as expected, the same WindowServer error, even after changing that ig-platform-id.
I'll reuse the SSDT and DSDT aml files I extracted on my previous attempt to apply only method #3 (the one mentioned on this thread), unlike last time where I applied method 2 first, reverted, then applied method 3.
Will post back with outcome!

Do you think it would be a good idea to host a repository of reportedly working config.plist files submitted by the community, with details on the laptops' model and firmware revision?

I followed that guide, got to this WindowServer issue, realised it's a gpu issue, then followed the edit SSDT,DSDT->add to patch dir in clover (method 2) guide, problem persisted. Finally I found this thread, that specifically targeted the WindowServer error for dual-gpus and 10.13; followed the guide post, screen started freezing at "HID: Legacy shim 2", with some references to an XHCI driver just before.

So I gave up and copied a config.plist file you edited for a system very similar to mine and changed wherever necessary. Clearly didn't work. Got the error that I reported on my previous post..

This time I'm starting clean, wiped and installed fresh clover again following the guide you mentioned, tried booting and as expected, the same WindowServer error, even after changing that ig-platform-id.
I'll reuse the SSDT and DSDT aml files I extracted on my previous attempt to apply only method #3 (the one mentioned on this thread), unlike last time where I applied method 2 first, reverted, then applied method 3.
Will post back with outcome!

No need for patched DSDT for reaching the installer.

Do you think it would be a good idea to host a repository of reportedly working config.plist files submitted by the community, with details on the laptops' model and firmware revision?

That is what the guides forums are for.

No need for patched DSDT for reaching the installer.
Yeah, realised that since you didn't mention anything about patching ACPI files in that method.

Installer came up, looks like things are going as expected.

Thanks a ton!

In my case it was just an option in bios, which enables support for dual monitors ( I have no idea what's for ). Disabling it - and voula!

Your config.plist is missing the _DSM->XDSM patch.
See guide for better starter config.plist:
It has the _DSM->XDSM already there, but you must enable it.

Perfect.. It works now!

I've been able to dual-boot my laptop with Win 10 after various obstacles, but finally everything works (except wifi and bluetooth i guess).

Thank you!

Edited :
Also, I would like to ask whether this method only valid for installer session, or also apply to regular MacOS booting? I mean, does the NVIDIA card remain disabled after installation has been completed? Or do I need to apply second method to disable the discrete card in MacOS? My goal is to only use the Intel HD and prevent the nVIDIA card to create heat, noise, and consume battery life..

*sorry for my english

Last edited:
Back