Contribute
Register

Fix annoying Windows 10 Hangs & 100% disk usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do like the scaling down of the Start (metro) Menu in 10. Makes it more desktop friendly.

Back on topic. Have you tried disabling Superfetch / Prefetch per the directions in post #1 ?
Noticed any less hang time or disk usage ? It should be done automatically for SSDs, which
Win 10 does detect. Unfortunately we still have to do this manually for now.
On a clean install of Win10, using the Microsoft USB media creator to make the installer and installing UEFI on the m.2 Samsung drive in my X99M Killer, Superfetch / Prefetch were already disabled. The installer not only disabled these two it also disabled automatic disk cleanup and disk defrag apps and enabled TRIM.

On a clean install of Win10, using the Microsoft USB media creator to make the installer and installing UEFI on the m.2 Samsung drive in my X99M Killer, Superfetch / Prefetch were already disabled. The installer not only disabled these two it also disabled automatic disk cleanup and disk defrag apps and enabled TRIM.
That's good to know. I was using a Win 10 DVD and installing legacy on an older computer without UEFI.

That's good to know. I was using a Win 10 DVD and installing legacy on an older computer without UEFI.
I think if the installer recognizes you are installing on a SSD it will do it automatically, but on a new clean install you should check all settings anyway.

On most computers that have been upgraded to Windows 10 I see that disk usage is often hovering around 90-100 %. So I looked for a solution online and found that disabling Superfetch and Prefetch (if you have 10 on an SSD) make a difference in how smoothly and quickly your Win 10 system runs. If you have a slow 5400 RPM HDD it's best to leave Superfetch and Prefetch turned on. Doing this made my Win10 install run much more smoothly. Give it a try. You can also do this on Windows 7 and 8.1 installs to an SSD. Windows is supposed to do this automatically but I always check it anyway. These two features are not needed with fast Sata 3 solid state drives.

1. Go to Services.msc and set Superfetch to disabled.

View attachment 203851

2. Edit the registry. Disable Prefetch

View attachment 203611

View attachment 203610

are you referring to the hang, that the mouse still can move? but the system is un-usable? will your solution fix that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back